Maybe move to Flatistan

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Mattbastard, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    I’m just an ignant immigrant from Virginia, but I laughed all the way thru yer diatribe. How can the OP resist moving down here after reading yer words of encouragement, is what I wanna know:lol3
    twowheeledgator and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've lived on the Space Coast since '88. Yeah, its hot 6-8 months out of the year. But if you get out and ride there are interesting roads and interesting places. BTW, I moved here after being stationed in Key West for over 4 1/2 years and liked it well enough we changed plans from buying a liveaboard motor yacht to finish out my CG career to buying and keeping a house.

My inlaws lived in Hudson and then Spring Hill an hour north of Tampa. Decent riding on that coast once you get inland to about Brooksville.

Things to seriously consider: sinkholes - a lot of FL is just waiting to cave in, but certain areas mostly nearer the coasts sit on denser rock ridges that minimize the risk. Search up sinkhole maps. Also look at county and city utilities - some areas have great services (like here) with great schools, libraries, parks, and very importantly water services. Some locales over this way are served by private utilities and the water rates are outrageous for water that is undrinkable and sometimes unfit to bathe in. Services can be from different providers between the city and county in some areas.

Sailing, boating, and fishing are fairly good all over. Boat slips are pricey on this coast too. A county with many good parks and boat ramps makes trailer boating a good option. That's been my method for power boating to start with and now sailing on the Indian River Lagoon system.

The Gulf coast from Naples up to Tampa or a little further has some really good areas and options for lifestyle in general. Same for several sections over on this side. Those are a few of my thoughts.
  3. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope this helps. BTW, I live near the land of irredeemable trash.

DB84067F-3346-4017-9467-652CB9A76A4B.jpeg
    wee-twin, Josh Leyburn and Huzband like this.
  4. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Man are you not shitting me there...

Fortunately we're moving to Old People and nice beaches, although we'll be plenty far from beaches.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  5. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Used to live in South Florida 21 years ago. :fpalm

Now I'm in "No Man's Land". Unfortunately, lots of peeps have figured out that "No Man's Land" = cheap real estate and now it's "HOA Land". Lots of construction in Poke county and not enough roads to mellow out the increased traffic. :becca
    Dan Diego likes this.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadly the Florida I know best (the Keys) has been irreversibly wrecked by over-development and high cost of living. The Fl Keys are now truly the playground of the rich and infamous. It's sad to see the true locals being forced out by being taxed out of the homes their families had for over 100 years...
    Mom and Pop places are disappearing faster then ever and are being replaced by "boutique' hotels, shops and other cookie cutter shit nobody wants..:puke2
    Traffic is the pits and travel between Marathon and Key Largo can take 2 hours or more depending on accidents and all the shitty "art and craft" events chocking traffic even more.. Glad I moved out when I did..:(:
    Dan Diego likes this.
  7. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    The construction in the Tampa Bay area is just crazy. All sorts of building with no real plans for infrastructure other than the buildings themselves. Same 2-lane roads, same sewage systems, same antique drainage (or lack thereof).

These Tampa politicians are like old school mobsters who take the money and have little regard for the future.

But the beaches are nice...
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  8. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    That's the same in the Miami Dade and Broward County area.
    They are currently constructing a separate high voltage power supply for the biggest Mall in the USA. Yesterday I saw FPL pulling the lines across US 27 near the Broward Palm Beach County line as they have been installing towers from the power plant in PB County to where the Mall will be built on the corner of I-75 and the Turnpike in Miami Dade County. Reason for the power coming down from PB County? My guess is no more spare capacity from Turkey point and other power plants.
    I don't know where all the water and sewer is going to and from that mall, and the housing development thats going to be built either.
    I'm sure it'll be a clusterf*ck when it's all done since we have a potable water shortage as is, thanks to South Florida Water mis-management and the corrupt politicians.
  9. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    This state needs to pull a "California":

1. Realize its potential for growth thru immigration (from other states)
    2. Take action on it ASIDE from just building housing communities
    3. Develop the infrastructure (water/sewer, transportation, emergency services, etc...)
    4. CRANK UP the real estate values to slow growth
    5. Create more Gov't oversight to prevent corruption regarding aforementioned growth
  10. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    As long as greed and money are the #1 priority all bets are off with regards to anything being done to slow down the (over)development of any area.... Seen it in the Keys..
  11. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    You're unfortunately correct there. Foresight doesn't appear to be a strong trait in the local officials around here.
  12. Sharkguy

Sharkguy chain lube applier

Oddometer:
    The problem with this part of FL is uncontrolled growth. It's a double edged sword, jobs and convenience? you need growth. Same here, infastructure not in line with growth. This area used to be a quiet bedroom community, the city officials saw a different vision and allowed a crap load of apartment buildings to be constructed (lining their own pockets) against public opinion. Now the the crime rate, traffic congestion, and general quality of life have gone downhill. I'm sure it's the same in other parts of the state. There used to be some decent riding near here, but since everyone wants to live out in the country it gets targeted for development and the sprawl continues gobbling up the countryside.
  13. south

south Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Used to be that developers were legally required to conduct, and submit, research to establish that the existing infrastructure was capable of supporting/accommodating their proposed project, and if there were any shortfalls, the developer was obligated to cover the costs of whatever infrastructure upgrades/modifications were necessary if they wished to proceed. Back in the day, I knew a guy who owned a civil engineering firm, and he seemingly always had an army of (paid) college kids to stand by the side of the road or at an intersection and count the number of cars passing by as part of this aforementioned infrastructure research.

But then--must be 20+ years ago (IIRC, when Charlie Crist was still both republican and governor)--the law was changed, and the infrastructure requirement was removed--caused a bit of a stir at the time, but not nearly what it should have. Anyway, that opened up all those "Mc-mansions in a cow pasture" communities (with or without golf course) to overwhelm and snarl traffic seemingly almost everywhere.

That said, personally, I've always enjoyed--and continue to enjoy--living in Florida. Of course, timing and location play a huge part in that. I lived on/in Davis Islands/"South Tampa" when it/they (including Ybor City) were both really good and also readily affordable to someone of relatively modest means (like me); likewise for the keys and Key West; and for my current (as of the past 15 years) corner of the "land of old people and nice beaches" as well (which actually includes a sizable and vibrant young(er) demographic as well; just need to get the Rays and their pesky game-related traffic out of town, and things'll be even better.)

I remember when I moved back to the Tampa Bay area (and opted for the "other side", despite working in Tampa), a coworker asked me, "Why do you want to live over there? It's all built up; there's no more space. Over here, there's still plenty of room." I explained that that was exactly why I wanted to live "over there"--*because* there was no more space: the joint was already built; people will come and go, but the overall population can't just explode, 'cause there's just no place to put 'em.

Of course, now they've realized that there actually *is* a place to put them: "up". But, at least, unlike the Mc-mansions in cow pastures, "up" does not increase footprint/sprawl, nor does it necessarily include (or require) room for cars, so I may just squeeze out my next/last 20-30 years happily enough without another move.
  14. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    During the last hurricane evacuation (Irma) traffic was so bad it would take almost 24 hours for people to get from Miami to Jacksonville as the roads were clogged like a sewage pipe.
    Yeah why bother doing any infrastructure improvements??
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  15. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've visited a lot and have relatives in the Ft Myers area.

My take: Two seasons, tourists and sweat.

The older I get, the less I like either.

On a family vacation I decided that if I lived in Florida, I would probably ride a Harley. I would hate to be sitting in that traffic on a motorcycle that liked twistys. I may as well just pose.
  16. ctoldie

ctoldie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where I live in Vero Beach, there is no "up". Building height is limited to four stories.
    The beach looks so much nicer with low rise buildings. Hopefully, greedy politicians will not change this restriction.
    rider1150gsadv and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

You visited the wrong parts of FL if that's the impression that it left. next time you visit, hit me up.

If you do buy a Harley then it may disappoint you with it's love of twisties AND dirt. :D

[​IMG]
  18. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wasn't clear that I was addressing the Ft Myers/Naples area as the OP was. I have visited many parts of Florida and if relocating there, I would look in the northern third of the state. I am not moving there. I like where I live.

Your picture is attractive but it is still flat and straight.

When I visit Florida, it's not for riding, it's to visit family. Not worth it to me to drag motorcycles all the way down there.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I grew up in SW Florida and you couldn’t pay me enough to move back. Been in the panhandle for 10 years now and don’t plan on leaving anytime soon.

Don’t dismiss all riding in Fl. We have some amazing dual sport riding in the state.
    YJake likes this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Tampa/ Ft Meyers has little to ride but to the west and north are some enjoyable roads. Granted, it's not North Carolina or anything but FL has some great riding if you know where to look. The invite stands if you decide to drag a bike down and want to tag along on a ride the next time you're in FL. If you have a dual sport, so much the better!

That pic was taken in SC btw.

This is in FL.

IMG_20171119_103557_281.jpg

20190104_115053.jpg

We have lots of dirt
    Sharkguy and rider1150gsadv like this.