Maybe move to Flatistan

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Mattbastard, Jan 17, 2018.

1. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK. If I lived in south Florida, I might have a Harley. If I lived in northern Florida I would have a dual sport.

I won't live in Florida. If I'm traveling over a thousand miles to ride, Florida isn't high on my list of places t do that.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Hah, I'm in no way trying to convince to own an HD or move here. We have plenty of people in FL. Just pointing out that all is not what it seems whether that be topography or bike brand.As riders, we are only limited by our imaginations and spirit for adventure.

If I'm traveling 1000 miles to ride then I've only made it from my house to the FL/GA state line and back! :photog
  3. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    :roflVery true.

I have 6K miles on a 3 month old bike because I ride to the better places north of where I live...:augie
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May as well add some thoughts about FL for those thinking about relocating. If your sole passion is motorcycling, you live, breath, eat two wheels and that is your ONLY interest/hobby/activity...Florida is not a great or even ok state to live in if you want to ride out of your garage and into fun dirt. This is just my opinion but you need a variety of activities with motorcycles just being a small part of your life.
    Get a boat, pick up Golf, Fish , Surf (not that consistent in S. FL but they do get waves), Stand Up Paddleboards, kayaks, Kite-board, wind surf, jet ski. etc. Anything else to do in the rainy blazing hot summer (which last 8 months BTW). I like living in FL but Dual Sport and Street bike riding is just a small part of my outdoor activities mainly due to the lack of good riding areas nearby. You could trailer your bike to many good areas but who really wants to drive hours to ride.
    Ever thought about SCUBA diving? there is a hidden world down there to explore and S. FL has excellent diving. I think many spots you can just beach dive w/o a boat (spear/pick off some lobsters, groupers, red snapper, etc...fresh seafood is so good)
    If I only rode dual sports I would had left years ago and moved out west or North but I have to be near the ocean. San Diego would have been perfect but that dream has sailed as the roots are now down and being comfortable in retirement seems more achievable by staying put and grinding away until I can finally get a 50/50 life in FL and anywhere else (TN, NC, VA, CA, WA, CO...) Yes I desire to become a snow bird.
    To those that ride every weekend, even in the summer, hats off to you, at least cooling vest tech is getting better. A hardcore rider I know showed me a vid of a personal air conditioner "belt" that factory workers were using in Japan I think, he thinks it is the answer to riding in the summer. FL is great for the low cost of living and saving for retirement, at least for now...
    Ed_in_miami likes this.
  5. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Wait, you guys are hot here in the summer?
  6. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really tried embracing the ocean. I went on a snorkeling trip in the keys it was beautiful and I had fun but a lot of the reef looked dead. Plus $$$$$ . Took my sun snorkeling a bunch in Martin county and Jupiter. A bunch of times the water was filled with seaweed. Also the beach was closed for bacteria in the water. So I don’t know maybe just bad luck. So I need to focus on getting the fuck out.

Ginger I love ya. You really try to make the best of it. But man Florida sucks.

IMG_0918.jpg
    Josh Leyburn and Ginger Beard like this.
  7. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Your fone's almost dead... hope you have a charger. :evil
    Josh Leyburn, sperz1, Huzband and 2 others like this.
  8. beaterktm

Oddometer:
    sperz1, Dr.Z and Ginger Beard like this.
  9. Sandspit

Oddometer:
    Red Tide is gone....give the ocean another chance....FL is really not that bad. I think I posted before...my sand/dirt oasis 15 mins away from the beach..last ride of the day I checked before i rode, no one else out
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  10. beaterktm

Oddometer:
    That’s looks great. Is that spot in Melbourne?
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    @beaterktm

Seven generations in this swamp. The only thing I can find not to like is the people.
  12. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

That looks like a nice place for development... where is that at again? :lol3
    Sandspit, waybill and Ginger Beard like this.
  13. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Only five generations here but I'm kind of old : ) It was a different place in the 50's growing up in small town central Fla, one cool thing was you could go by boat from Mt. Dora or Eustis to Jacksonville, it took two days. Or Daytona/Ormond Bch in the 60's and 70's, there were miles and miles of beach/dunes with no houses, motels, or condos.

There's still some cool stuff/places, just have to know where to look.

Anyone that wants an idea of what the settling of Florida was like from the Civil War (1860's) to the 1960's, here's a good read. A historical novel but pretty accurate and realistic, "A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Land_Remembered
    Sandspit, beaterktm and Ginger Beard like this.
  14. Sandspit

Oddometer:
    @beaterktm ... yes the spot is in Melbourne, right smack dab in the middle of town; known but also unknown..so weird, you feel far removed from the city with just a turn off into a dirt path BUT like most fun grey area trails, they have stopped easy access, no more direct truck access which is too bad there were several ponds to fish, mud pits, and a good community who explained to everyone to keep the area clean, do not do anything stupid , kept the bonfires low key, pack out your trash...it worked for a long time but recently something must have happened...it's still fun but so empty now. Many years ago, a front wheel washout left me with a broken clavicle . Had to limp back home then went to the hospital...If you crash hard out there you are all alone (which I am used to)
    We also have the famous "Compound' in Palm Bay. It's another technically "No Ride Zone" but semi-quiet plated bike may just get a warning, DISCLAIMER - YOU MAY GET A TICKET...I have not been out there in a very long time, I can't complain we actually have good/challenging dirt that you can get to right out of the driveway, with many scenic river front roads and ocean front roads for good slab. Yes, @Dr Z some of the land will be developed which may cause a further clamping down of any access, some areas will never get developed due to its location
    @waybill - gonna have to check out that book, thanks for posting about it.
    Ginger Beard and beaterktm like this.
  15. beaterktm

Oddometer:

This in brevard. I got a few spots around me also.
    Sandspit likes this.
  16. Sandspit

Oddometer:
    ^^^Great video, same spot I posted; such a great place...just a few minutes from the beachside...too bad only plated bikes can get back there now which basically means no one rides there, the city fenced/blocked/gated all vehicle accesses. Would have been fun to ride with you guys although my bone stock DRZ-S is not so nimble. I do like to blast the horn during a clean pass...it would freak out the MX'ers and made a few chuckle. Good times. How did you hear about the spot? might give me some insight on sudden gating off. Can't imagine the location of this spot being known all the way down South. Sorry to the OP as this thread is getting de-railed slightly.
  17. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Come to Fl. You won’t regret it. Lived here all my life except for military service. I moved to Mickey town east after 25 years in the Keys 14 years ago. North central or panhandle would be your best bets for riding IMHO. Only hours to twisters in Ga, NC etc. and you can ride pretty much year round. Cost of living is way lower than PRC and there is no state income tax. Next best would be Texas. Again much lower cost of living and no state income tax.
  18. beaterktm

Oddometer:
    That crew knows all the spots
    Sandspit likes this.
  19. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have not been to Florida < Tampa,Saint Petersburg, Clearwater Beach > since the late 70's.
    So Cal coast since the late 80's.

If I was to move back there. I'd buy a jet ski. Since I l will probably be a treading water in the streets in no time.

Don't believe me. Believe

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/do...y-administrations-2100-climate-scenario/3218/

And most folks know how the govt. likes to sand bag on prediction timelines. Probably less time left than 2100. Swampland available fo sho.
    San Diego probably won't fair well either. As well as any coastal city/states I guess.
    Meh. What do I know?

Only that I am warm. Dry. 85 mph Open Roads. Property values went up 1000 percent on my place. El Nino only makes my desert a jungle.
  20. ctoldie

ctoldie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Reminds me of this:

https://thedailycoin.org/2018/01/01...ing-predictions-12-years-later-none-happened/