Mayday Melee II Rio Nido Roadhouse May 2-3

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Whammo, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    OUT!

My to do list is to long and energy level to low. :bluduh

Y'all have fun. :freaky

I was so hoping to show Suz my equipment. :poser
  2. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    :waysad
  3. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:smooch

:jump

Petefromberkeley's presentation was great. :thumb

I think the rain kept somma the FF's from laughing at his jokes. :eek1 :poser

Nice party!
  4. twisty sister

twisty sister CRACK pot

Oddometer:
    Good, damp times!
    Great presentation Pete!!..and humorous, to boot!
    Yummy Food? YUM!
    Raindrops relentlessly striking my forehead like a Chinese metronome of torture keeping time with the pounding of my alcohol dessicated skull contents?
    Ummm...Well, yeah, a little.
    Amie's lemon cake? OMG!:dg
    Fun stuff!
  5. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Were to begin.

First off, another good time up by the river, near the river, on the river, and some people felt like they were sleeping in the river out back. I never want to see the rain again. Been home for 6 hrs and still drying off.:lol3 Went out back just now when the sun came out and said fuck you.

But with all this going on, the event was great. The true spirit of people came out this weekend. Through all the rain, Tiny came through again. I have never taken a canoe trip in the poring rain before, and I hope to never do it again, but can look back on it and really say it was fun.

People hung in there and laugh through it all, and seem to really enjoy each other company. Found some new friends and say hello to some old one. Looking forward to doing it again.

Joc
  6. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    tents drying off in the garage

head drying out too

:freaky

Was nice to see everyone :clap

Pics uploading and will post some later :wink:

Oh and important message

I was a dumbass and thought I was helping by handing out badges, you were suppose to check in with Amy, Josh or Brad and $ettle up for grub, swag and the like.
    I am sure everyone made their payment but just in case :dunno

sorry Boss!
    4 boont's and I am not very helpful, 5 I was just annoying and 6 well forgettaboutit. Then the sambuca! :freaky

:lol3
  7. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Nice to see everyone, albeit briefly, on Saturday night.

Brad (aka Tiny) was doing it in style despite the rain, as only he can. Tales of the heroic canoeing trip in the monsoon sounded quite the adventure! I took some pics of the usual suspects, and pegged below:

Party time!

[​IMG]

Wots this wet stuff?

[​IMG]

Can you say bikes?

[​IMG]

Tent city!

[​IMG]

A rockin' band.

[​IMG]

...and some very sexy Adv dancing girls! :knary

[​IMG]

F*ck the rain - were just chillin'...

[​IMG]

Some people couldnt make it...

[​IMG]

Good times.

[​IMG]

:freaky
  8. RocknTroll

RocknTroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tiny, Whammo

Alost a great Weekend, yall know why right?

Petes slide show, what can I say, he's got a set

Food pretty close to Xcelent, cept I had to walk all the way from the patio to get the grub

An what bout the Cheerleaders you guys said came over every Friday night to swim in yer pool after their gymnastics pratice??

Guess I'll see you guy in September :1drink
  9. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    It was great to see most of you again. :rofl

The Rio Nio Roadhouse is now officially my second favorite bar in the whole world. :thumb

Hope all the sputtering bikes managed to get out of the lot. 2old2race, I'm looking at you.

Many thanks to the legendary Tiny, Whammo and crew for taking great care of me all weekend plus special thanks to world traveller Pete for sharing his inspiring photos of beautiful princesses and the magic of the silk road. :thumb

Hopefully some of the plans we hatched will bear adventure-ripe fruit.

Keep riding.

Keep taking photos.

Keep writing.

Where's everyone going next for an adventure? :ear
  10. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Andy, great question! It was really nice to see you there. You're such a gentleman.

To the folks who helped to make this happen and to make it so special, THANK YOU! This is really what I needed.

I rode in on Friday night later than I expected to and my boots ended up being wetter than I wanted. But really, it was not that cold of a ride and with the great tunes coming up on my Ipod and the sun setting with the exciting cloud cover above me, it was a nice ride, actually.

With a little help from Gilla (again) and buds, I set up my camp in what I thought was a good spot. Later, the pooling of water around my tent prooved otherwise. But it never did get too close and with some little ditches made to redirect the flow, my tent was saved. Slept like a baby on both nights listening to the pitter patter of the rain.

Friday night fun made the time zoom by. Checked in with most of the folks I had met before and met a few new ones. We danced a little at the bar and I tried a few new beers that were all super tasty. Rio Nido has a really good collection. Tiny made sure to tell us not to expect his (perfectly brewed) coffee before 6:00 am. No prob, Tiny. What a host!

For some of those who did not partake in the canoe ride, we tried to figure out if it was worth the trek to the local hippy hot springs or to hang out at the roadhouse for the day. We opted to hang out at the Rio and watch the late comers roll in and set up camp. Lunch was so good, I had it twice. So when the band showed up, it was sounding groovy and I got my groove on to get a appetite up for steak and shrimp.

The BBQing at the Rio Nido RH is serious business. Steaks were carefully selected and the BBQ was upgraded to make sure all was well for our Tbones. And all the work, including the fancy Texas-stlyle BBQing was perfect to a "T". The shrimp were humongous and the fixins were delish.

Before the slideshow, Pete told me that he was a little bit nervous. But it didn't show. He had beautiful pictures, funny stories of the tough stuff, the surprises, and the subtle cultural differences he experienced along his ways. I did not know before this weekend that Pete has been on many extended tours, two of them on a bike. He has lived in India and other places for a year or more and knows a lot about travel tips and ex. He's a wealth of knowledge and he loves to talk about it. Pete did a fine presentation and if you ever get a chance to catch it elsewhere, make sure you do.

In the morning, more great coffee and other great stuff to eat like corned beef hash, man! JStory got up early and was talking about this and that. He had a set of guys around him listening intensely, just like last year. Man, that guy can talk. Good thing that a lot of what he says is presented well and interesting.

Considering the rain, the turnout was very good. It was good to see the late arrivals- BenJava, Nixels, and MadBrit. This just goes to show that the Rio Nido Roadhouse is a great place to hang out, rain or shine, and if you have not been there, add it to your list of stop overs when you come through the area. Really great food, folks. Hopefully, there will be a nice band playing in the back for you.

Oh. And the schwwwwag.... Excellent!

And the answer to the question, Andy is that I am planning on being out almost all of June and July heading to the sierras, Colorado, and maybe the higher elevation parts of the Grand Canyon . Late July/early August will be a ride up the coast to Vancouver, Canada and back around some other route down through the local states. If that doesn't happen, then it's WMRS. So if anyone has any suggestions or tips, please let me know via PM. Thanks, Suz
  11. twisty sister

twisty sister CRACK pot

Oddometer:

SCHWAGG??? There was SCHWAGG???:ear:huh

Good to see you, Suz!!
  12. LIL ZING

LIL ZING Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I have to say it was great to acutally be able to put names to faces now. The food was great and storys were fun. For me not being there I had a blast and hope everyone had a safe ride or drive home least the weather was better going than coming. Till the next event I'm not at see later.
  13. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    :wave

[​IMG]
  14. twisty sister

twisty sister CRACK pot

Oddometer:
    ...Hey..that caboose looks oddly familiar.....
    Good lord..it's ENORMOUS!!! :eek1
  15. jakethewonderpup

jakethewonderpup just ridin along

Oddometer:
    great times as always! Thanks to whoever found my glasses and gave them to melissa! much appreciated very wet ride home after a very wet night yep the taj pretty much sucks in the rain! look forward to seeing everyoone in september hopefully sooner. jstory pm me and we can get the bag mounts sorted for you
    Issa
  16. DaveBro

DaveBro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you said it so well, I'll mostly just say "+1". Thanks for a great time Tiny, Whammo, Amy and everyone else. I had a ride to go to this morning, so could only make a small part of the weekend, but it was excellent. :clap :clap :clap The food, the drink, the cool schwag, the band, pete's presentation. Most of all the company.

BTW Suz, meant to introduce myself to you, but you know how it is -- you get there, you think you have all the time in the world, then you're wasted on Cap'n & Cokes, then you're waking up at home. :D Hope to meet you on the Tahoe Assault or some other time soon.
  17. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Can't recall who handed them to me but I punted them off on the melsweetie for ya :D
    Was good to see you and that pastry making goddess of yours :tb lemon heaven! mmmmm

What a cool donation to the swag!!
    Everyone needs to punt on over to http://www.flugelnus.com/
    and help support our local businesses :deal

I got a free ticket to the next RR :clap

Maddbrit showed for less than 6 minutes and off he went to get his "thing on" at another bar I hear? :dunno :ymca :hide

was good to see ya even if you did travel almost 2or more hours just to say hi :wave

I am going to remove the sticky but lets post some pics :D

cheers for the brew dave :bow

oh and
    sweet merciful mother of holy shiznit!

The guy has some meat :hide
    [​IMG]
  18. jakethewonderpup

jakethewonderpup just ridin along

Oddometer:
    Thanks Garry fucking wet ride home!!! see you and dawn sooner rather than later I hope
  19. carburated

carburated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ow, my head... Thanks everyone who helped put this on, despite the less than ideal weather it was a blast, and just what I needed. At least what I can remember of it... Great to see a few I know already, great to meet some new people, and just great to bs about bikes and riding for a few days.

I woke up Sunday with about an inch of water in the corner of my tent, a massive headache, and EVERYTHING was soaked... fortunately the rain let up enough to pack up after breakfast (thanks for all the food!!! :clap ), it's all still sitting in the 'drybag' right now. I'll try to get around to unpacking today sometime. :huh

No one else was up for trying to hook up with the advers heading up to Cow Mountain Sunday morning, so i headed up on my own thinking I was probably too late to catch them anyway since I didn't leave Rio Nido till 9:30, but figured it would be a nice head clearing ride either way. Fortunately I found them pulling out of a gas station in Ukiah just as I rode in! Had a GREAT time on that ride, but that's a story for another thread. :wink:

Thanks again Tiny, and everyone who helped put this shindig together. :clap I think your beer glasses are bigger than I'm used to, my counting system seemed to be a bit flawed. :1drink I've got a few photo's in my camera, which is still buried somewhere on the bike. I'll post some up if they came out decent once I unpack.
  20. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a great time in spite of a severe case of wet. It was great to see everyone and get to meet some cool new folks. Props to the Sheriff for the use of her car for a laundrymat run. Excellent schwag. I need to find a place for that cool sticker. I won the big raffle prize that was so generously donated by Issa. How cool is that guy?
    A shout out for the roadhouse staff. Friendly and attentive. Everyone who works there is way cool.
    Once again, a wonderful event hosted by our men Brad and Josh.

Edit: I forgot to mention Pete's slideshow. Great pics, and Pete has a subtle, dry sense of humor that made for a great show. Man, that guy
    has a pair.