MC oil thread

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by BMWGSA, Jun 27, 2019.

1. BMWGSA

BMWGSA Geländefahrer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to first start off by saying I know some of our members have very excellent websites and cover some of the topics that will be discussed here.

I was looking for a little more information on oil I found the following web site.

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/mc_oil.html

Maybe some of you have read this maybe some of you have not. I found it very interesting and explains a lot of the questions I had. I thought I would share
  2. 2ThumpinPumpkins

2ThumpinPumpkins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Phurst.:lurk
  3. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    here we go.....
    korinthias and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
  5. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doubt it. The oil professionals at BITOG would laugh at some of the assertions in the first linked article.

For example:

"Throw in the fact that some motorcycles are still oil-air cooled (which causes the oil to run 1.5 to 3 times hotter than a water-cooled engine"

3 times hotter is utter nonsense. Maybe 20% hotter on average although my airhead actually runs the oil cooler than my car.
    ccmickelson and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's see, three times hotter than say, 220F: 220F=104C=377K. Remember, K is the scale you use for anything thermodynamically related to temperature, like expansion or contraction. 3x377K=1132K. That's 859C, or 1579F.
    190e is right. Air cooled engines don't run the oil 3 times hotter. That would be 1579 or thereabouts.
    But, oil threads can be fun!
  7. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motor oil is motor oil.
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    We have several reports every year of bikes that will never run again because somebody believed this.

You better care and don't believe the advertisers hype. Every internet forum concerning older vehicles has this same discussion. Maybe somebody could do a survey of all the forums?
  9. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
  10. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Also, you are able to edit your title @BMWGSA
  11. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, serious question. I know about ZDDP and the protection it give old style lifters/cam followers. Most if not all of those studies were (I think) done with non-synthetic oils. Does anyone know of such a study with synthetic oils? Do the synthetic oils have properties that eliminate the need for ZDDP?
  12. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    korinthias likes this.
  13. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you run synthetic in your airhead?
  14. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at it this way. ZDDP is a boundary lubricant that only comes into play when the oil film is displaced between the two metal parts. If you could keep an oil film present at all times there would be no need for ZDDP although that isn't quite possible in high stress areas like rings and lifters. If you believe synthetic has a stronger oil film strength then it's less dependant on ZDDP but you couldn't eliminate it.
  15. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even synthetics have ZDDP., although it has been reduced to 1000 PPM (or less) in oils meeting later SAE standards. Most oil manufacturers will respond to emails with your questions.
  16. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mineral 20w50 classic oils like Millers, Penrite, Silkolube, Valvoline VR1 Racing.
    2 kinds of VR1 Racing but keep in mind that fully synthetic in an airhead MAY cause more misting and oil weeps. Both VR1 types have 1400ppm zinc in 20w50 grade.
    ccmickelson likes this.
  17. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    We can talk about ZDDP ppm's until the cows come home but there is one thing I refuse to believe about the motorcycle oil vs car oil debate which is that modern car engines are somehow all vastly easier on their oil than a 40 year old motorcycle engine. Oil has come a very long way in 40 years and car engines like the VW PD diesels are incredibly hard on their oil such that you have to use a specific VW spec oil in order for the camshafts to survive. We are never going to agree in an oil thread which makes the debate largely pointless but one thing you can be certain of is that determining oil quality is not as simple as how much ZDDP an oil contains. It's not even the case that all ZDDP additives are the same so direct comparisons are not possible.

I just use quality motor oil.

18. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which is exactly why I recommend the oils above for airheads. All classic car oils apart from the VR1 which is specifically for high stress race or street motors, for example flat tappet motors, car or bike.
  19. BMWGSA

BMWGSA Geländefahrer

Oddometer:
    I'm using the BMW recommended oil, It's just easier. 20190627_230222.jpg

Attached Files:

Frank smith and theDQG like this.
  20. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's an expensive oil change tho.