McCarthy and Denali

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by ganshert, Jun 20, 2005.

1. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    July 15-17

Anchorage area to McCarthy on the 15th
    breakfast at Kennicott, on to Paxson and across the Denali maybe stay near Gracious House on the 16th
    back down the Parks on the 17th

loosely organized, make your own trip, meet up on the way, whatever floats your boat

I'll plan on tent camping but Kennicott Resort and Gracious House are nice places to stay.

who's in?
  2. akjohn

akjohn AKjohn

Oddometer:
    I should be able to make it. I think I will take off Friday and leave early in the day. Not sure if I will do the Denali leg...although if possible I will.
    jb
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I'll probably blast out of here on Friday afternoon and snooze at a buddy's place in Gakona then scoot down to McCarthy Saturday morning for breakfast at Kennikott. Might not do the Denali leg but it does sound like a good time. I'll be two up again but not sure who'll be riding pillion.
  4. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Look forward to seeing you two at breakfast on Saturday!

I think we can ride all the way out to the glacier. Anybody done that before?
  5. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I haven't been out there in 25 years but last I went it would've been tough to do. It was a goat trail over the top behind McCarthy. Always interested in taking a fresh peek though.

6. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I'm always up for a "how far down this trail can I get?"

Maybe a good photo op in it!
  7. akjohn

akjohn AKjohn

Oddometer:
    I like my pancakes with smiley faces :wink:
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    We are in :thumb me and mrs Friar 2 up:crash but just to Kennikott
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Xlnt! How come no McCarthy? It's only a short squirt up the road from Kennikott and it's a road even Globie could do w/out flying over the edge. :lol3

10. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    It seems to me last time I was there you have to GO through McCarthy to get to Kennikott:cromag

11. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    OH boy,,,, they put in a new road!:lol3
  12. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I probably have the names confused of which town's on which end of the road. :dunno
  13. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Yep, McCarthy's first then up the road to the Kennicott mine. The road is a good one up to the mine. First step is getting across the foot bridge over the McCarthy river. Last I heard there was a local uprising over the installation of a bollard on each end. The locals would remove them and the parks service would reinstall them. I think the locals won out so they could ride their dirt bikes and 4-wheelers across at will.

I'd like to ride along. If I show up I'll be there. :rofl :lol3
  14. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a trip to me. Time to burn a personal day I think. Does everybody camp out there or is there a good lodge or what?
  15. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of spots to tent camp on the road to McCarthy and one right at the bridge.

They turned part of the old mine into a resort if you want to get a room. I stayed there a couple of years ago and it is nice. They have good food too!
  16. akjohn

akjohn AKjohn

Oddometer:
    will be camping somewhere around McCarthy.

Separate topic...I am thinking abut a dinner ride tomorrow evening (Thurs). Perhaps I can even talk my significant other into a ride on the RT down to Summit Lake Lodge.
    Also, thinking about a day trip somewhere on Saturday...perhaps Hope or Talkeetna or somewhere. Two wheels...sunshine...the destination ain't really that important I suppose.
    jb
  17. 1150Anchor

1150Anchor Happiness is a warm wife

Oddometer:
    I'm in for a ride. Been to Kennicott once 25 years ago via Super-Cub. Like to do the road trip. I'm tuning my GS this weekend so i'll be ready! :thumb
  18. globaldude

globaldude AdrenelineJunkie

Oddometer:
    Gee Legion, that was a tad harsh. I was merely doing a little off road bushwhacking to liven things up a little. Besides, it gave me the opportunity to test my rainproof boots in the swamp. Really.

Happily they worked just fine. :D

And as soon as I have the saddlebag repaired, the ol Transalp will be ready to rock and roll. Well, then there is the matter of the flat tire, but hey, that happened on the paved road outside of Anchorage. Or so it would appear.... :eek1

If I had known winning the Games were so important to you, I would have eased up a bit. But you did see how "competitive" my partner was, I mean she was "inspired"! :evil :lol3 :wink: :freaky :rofl :D

Yours pretty truly,

Globaldude
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Your partner clearly had significant weiner experience and was a joy to behold. I'm absolutely certain that any weiner would've been thrilled to experience her enthusiasm and technique.

Actually, to hell w/ technique. It's really the enthusiasm. A heartfelt hunger for the weiner that you just don't see all that often anymore.

Katoomer deserves an award... not every man can walk into a bar and walk back out a minute later w/ four of their best hanging off his arms.
  20. Cephus

Cephus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    .....but I pulled all the strings at work to get off for D2D, now there are none left to pull. Oh well. I will try to make a similar trip soon, but it will be mid-week, like mon-wed or tue-thur.