McCarthy - Anybody Interested in a Ride & Camp?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by legion, Jul 6, 2010.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Thinking about it. No schedule in mind.

Interested?
  2. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Yes. :ricky
  3. Juvat

Juvat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know somebody that might be interested, it's his favorite place...

Maybe he'll chime in....:evil
  4. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Yes, depending on the date. My dad's coming up for a visit to see how his eldest wayward daughter is doing and I need to stay in town (and behave) until he leaves.
  5. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pick Me

Another place I know about

Let me know when !! :clap
  6. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  7. Juvat

Juvat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ding ding!!!:clap He knows this place like the back of his hand. :wink:
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Maybe :ear depends on when.
  9. Phish

Phish Fishbone

Oddometer:
    When ?
  10. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Legion,

If we can ride to McCarthy mid-August or later, I'm in. I'm riding the Idaho Bitterroot Mtns. from hot spring to hot spring late in July. My legendary (but not imaginary!) DR should be up to AK on a barge around the first week of August.

Had a great time riding the Moody Bastard run this weekend. Lets try to make it more than a semi-annual event!

Terry
  11. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    yes... :ear
  12. Hobo

Hobo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have plenty of room to crash at my place in Gakona in the PM and ride to McCarthy in the AM, Fri, Sat & Sun.
  13. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    I've been holding on to a kitchen pass for a weekend ride for a while now. Sounds like a good reason to turn that in. So I'm a definite maybe depending on the chosen dates. Keep us posted Legion!
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Xlnt ! Thanks for the offer, Hobo.

If I recall correctly this is about the time you like to fly out for some serious solo chest pounding out in the Wrangells, no? You in for this and if so is there a time slot this would need to be scheduled around?

Duchess; same? Any others that have a conflict that we can take a crack at working around? I've got some work to do on my bike and I'm slow so I don't have a wild urge to blast out right quick. A little welding and extra fuel storage sort of things are in the works.

...and in case anybody's wondering if you've got to be a fükengrüver or anything else to be on this ride the answer is hell no.

The plan I've got beating around in my head is nowhere near solid yet but it'll be either blasting out of here Friday night to pitch a tent at Hobo's yard in Gakona and then leisurely sauntering off to McCarthy in the morning -or- a hell for leather rip Saturday morning straight for McCarthy.

I like the idea of snoozing in Hobo's yard the first night as it allows the group to get a head start. Mileage is going to be something like this:

185 miles......... Anchorage to Glennallen

15 miles........... Glennallen to Gakona

80 miles........... Gakona to Chitina

60 miles........... Chitina to McCarthy

Wind up in McCarthy on Saturday morning around lunchtime and root around there and Kennicott for the day.

Tent for the evening somewhere in that area and then ride back home in the morning. Nothing cast in stone here. Toss ideas on the table and let's see if we can make this a special trip. I haven't been there in 30 years so this might be more time than the ride needs, too.

Talk to me.
  15. akkurt

akkurt Rode hard

Oddometer:
    I did it a couple weeks back but I'm up for it again. Later in July or August would be better for me...
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Two weeks ago would be more recent than my 30 years ago. What do you think about time allowed?
  17. Hobo

Hobo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The mountains are on hold for a bit. Have to be in Fairbanks the 16th for a wedding.This weekend I,m free.
  18. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Yessiree. This weekend would work, assuming I get back from Katmai tomorrow night or the next day. the next weekend would be OK too. I am psyched. Maybe the little woman could come too. Dick
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    You've been to McCarthy plenty. How would you do this? Two night camp or head out from Skanchorage Sat AM, camp Sat PM, and return Sunday?
  20. akkurt

akkurt Rode hard

Oddometer:
    It was more like a moth ago. but her is what I learned.

The road to Chitina is great and fast. from there it is gravel for 69 miles. The first 10 of which was the worst. (gravel washboard) The way in took me 3 -4 hours the way out took me an hour and a half. It was well worth the ride. I rode out to the mine but didn't take the time to look around. I would like to this time.

Chitina itself is worth visiting with a quick (8 mile) side trip to oriely creek.

If you want out Sunday night you need to be back at Chitina by 7 PM because the only gas station closes. Next gas is Glenellen, and it is way more expensive there. The GS wont make the roundtrip from chitin to McCarthy and then back out to lennellen, (However Dutcheses beautiful DR probably would) I think I heard the gas station closes at 10 on other nights. I did not catch what time they open. But their is camping right across the street.

If we are taking our time, it is a great trip to bring fishing gear. I have heard talk of some of the biggest rainbows in the state (I guess that would be the world) in the lakes around McCarthy.

I rode home to Knick the same day I rode into (from about Kinny lake ) and out of McCarthy. That made for a longish day but not so bad.

The ride was spectacular. But, i had good weather. i bet it would be a little slower in the rain. Good news is that I don't think it rains there like it seems to around the rest of the state.

I don't see a problem with riding from Gulkona to McCarthy in a day, with time to enjoy McCarthy in the afternoon.

The nastiest part of the trip will probably be Eureka as usual.