McCarthy - Anybody Interested in a Ride & Camp?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by legion, Jul 6, 2010.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great time!

Jack, your photos take my breath away! Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark H.
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Thanks everybody for making this ride turn out to be such a good time. It worked out to be a lot like other rides where it's the a great ride and a great destination... and a few groups of riders head out on their own. Those big formal group rides can get stale and this definitely wasn't.

I left Anchortown around 4:30p on Friday and at the Palmer Carrs met up with AKmud and the lovely Mandy. Shortly after that the Borg showed up.

It was looking like it'd get a tad moist en route and I couldn't help but think "man, this will suck if rain's all we get". It was raining at Hobo's pad so we slept indoors in the main room of a dog kennel that they used to run a few years back and now has been converted to Hobo's man cave. Peek and One Eye Mike were already there when our little group showed up. We stayed up till maybe midnight telling lies and in the morning Gail whipped up a killer breakfast, the sun broke out, etc. :thumb

Met Hacky and M-Mama out there and Frank & Jason too. Now that I think about it I believe I might have seen ndanger's bike parked at a business along the Richardson that morning.

Great ride, xlnt company, and beautiful weather made for a stunner ride. To top it off while we were there a park ranger that Hobo and I met said that she didn't have anybody to give a tour to... would Hobo and I like one? We're both electrical guys and the next thing I know there are private buildings getting unlocked and we were getting the cook's tour of the guts of the old facility. Very cool. Got to see the rest of it, too, but the electrical system was particularly cool. In the old transformer building you could smell the old insulating fluid soaked into the lumber.

Dave, that was Stacey and Peter that comped you the pizza and I agree... cool folks. Fun to talk to, too. We spent about an hour or so talking to them about the serious nutbars that have lived in McCarthy over the years. The Pilgrims probably come to everybody's mind but there have been some major whack jobs way before them. One guy tried to murder the entire town years ago. I remember it on the radio plain as day as he had gone off his rocker but there wasn't a real way to catch him without outside help.

The bridge was open 7a-9p and I didn't want to be on that road for the last hour of the bridge being open as you would be guaranteed to meet some oncoming hillbilly in a beater pickup doing 100mph in your direction trying to meet the cutoff. Hobo and I bailed around 7:30 or so and the rest trickled out before and after.

Peter at the pizza bus said that there was a party down by the river on the way out of town that night and there would be guaranteed killer music and a ton of naked hippy chicks. Thought about it and decided that I really wasn't done riding yet so I wound up back in my own bed here in Anchortown around 2a this morning and had a beautiful ride all the way. Blacker'n pitch and the HP2's air shock was a little low so I was shining my headlight into the sky somewhere and couldn't see squat. The bike is definitely getting that stupid air can ripped off it this winter and something a little more predictable tossed in it's place. Those corners out toward Chickaloon were seat squeezers at hiway speed in the dark.

My pics will suck compared to anybody else's. They're right out of my phone. :lol3

Thanks again to all for making this so much fun. I had a gas.

One Eye... I still owe you something that we'll clear up soon. I can meet you at your work and knock it out or after, etc.

[​IMG]
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    On the way into McCarthy the old gravel road was pothole filled like every other and it seemed like a faster pace would make for a smoother ride. Might be some logic in there anyway.

I was following AKmud & Mandy. Two up they were cutting a serious 60 through there and I followed for quite a while. When the voices kicked in I tossed my bike into the other beaten tire track and cracked 'er open. I rode for a few minutes at a pretty good clip and then sat back down.

Whaaa? There's Mud & Mandy two up and hauling... right on my pipe at an easy 80 or so? I could-not-believe it. So I did what you'd do and tossed a few more coals on the fire. We toyed around at 90 and bumped it up over 100 in a few patches then I noticed they were flat gone.

Ewww... that was a scary look in the mirror. Imagination running wild. 1000+ pounds being tossed down the road at 100 would have been really bad. I turned around and headed back up the road hoping they were fine when here comes One Eye Mike at warp 9 with my fuel bottle. Wasn't Mud & Mandy in my rear view at all which explained several things right quick. :lol3
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Ariel. Where'd you go? Everything ok?

BPeek?
  5. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    Ha! Great story Legion!! Glad you were looking out for us but I think Mandy was red lining at 60 much less 80.

That was a fun ride, thanks for organizing it and tell Hobo the dry accommodations were the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! :thumb

We were wondering where you and Hobo ended up after touring the mine, I figured you went back to the man cave for Gayle's chili. Glad you made it out safe, we had a great ride today in 80* sunshine! :ricky
  6. One Eye Mike

One Eye Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We camped at the foot of the Root last night. Great time. Legion, the ride in was a hoot. It felt good to open the 800 up a wee. :evil Sorry we lost you and Hobo at the mine. We went into McCarthy for dinner around 5, then off to the campsite. I'll post some photos tomorrow. To everyone on the ride, Hobo and Gail, THANKS for a great weekend! Jack, thanks for the great photos. I bailed out early this AM and had a beautiful ride back. Sun all the way to Eureka! Clouds the rest of the way in.
  7. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Legion
    Thanks for setting this all set up, had a great time, met and visited with everyone at one time or the other during this weekend. Just couldn't seem to be able to hook up with Mark and yourself

Mark thanks you to you and your wife's hospitality

I had a great time and as a beginning rider, this was my longest dirt ride
    Challenging and rewarding, the ride out was a lot better then the ride in

Bob
  8. BlueRider

BlueRider Stromin' Alaska

Oddometer:
    Late starter that I am, I missed the rain. A bright glowing orb in the sky was hurting my eyes, and making it so warm. It was a great camp sat. nite at the glacier toe. Lots of good campfire talk, and the glacier was talking too. Good to meet some riders and put the face to the name. Stumbling back from the music festival in the dark was a treat with a buzz on. Nice ride home today despite some blustery crosswinds from Glenallen on late afternoon. I'm kicking around an idea of a P'ville ride when the colors come on in a few weeks. I have a cabin at mile 10.5 Gatecreek to base out of. Labor day weekend is good, and the one after for colors. Denali hwy is a good one for color LBD too. Feel free to PM me if you're hankering to fall ride up north.....
  9. One Eye Mike

One Eye Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be down the 2nd week of Sept. Your cabin in PVille will be easier to get to than mine! :D
  10. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    I was wondering this too.

Mark H.
  11. Arielck

Arielck The Littlest Hobo

Oddometer:
    Didn't you see us waving? Or was it too blurry? The shiny BMW's waited for the sunshine, it seems. The KLR crew hit the rain and mud, and then got the sunshine and views. It was the best of both worlds!
  12. Arielck

Oddometer:
    Stopped in Silver Lake to visit Jim's sister and their awesome hubcap latrine, they live up a wicked fun road!

[​IMG]

set up camp at the toe of the glacier, so quiet and isolated, with mumbles in the night from people wandering through camp to put stuff in the bear box, "Not a bear!"

[​IMG]

best EVER expression of an Alaska license plate

[​IMG]

Parted ways with KLRDave in the bright and sunny morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

by golly, those views are darn good!

[​IMG]

why would you come to McCarthy at all without a bike?! it was like a playground over there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scenery was definitely worth the wait, but I wouldn't have traded that day of playing in the mud for anything! You know it's a good ride when you're pretty sure your gear will never be the same :D

[​IMG]
  13. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride. Wanted to be there really bad, but other long time loyalties called. Peterscville the 2nd weekend in September sounds great to me.
  14. AK NIMROD

AK NIMROD CHEECHAKO ADVENTURER

Oddometer:
    looks like it was a great trip . great photos and ride report. It would have been nice to make it but I was in Los Anchorage doing MC safety class "well worth it for me" also need to repair / replace some plastic on my v-strom and get bags before any trips like this one
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Very smart move. Being out in the middle of nowhere and not having the tools to enjoy the ride can make the coolest of trips suck. Good on you, Nimrod. Looking forward to catching up w/ you down the road.
  16. Arielck

Oddometer:
    I stood up and waved enthusiastically at the HP2 as it went by! I have to see that thing up close and personal sometime soon. maybe rub my butt on it, but i'll wait til you're not looking :p
  17. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    It just so happens that I've renamed everything I own HP2! I'm even spreading the word that my new nickname is HP2... What a coincidence!:clap
  18. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    I as just looked back over my last posting, chuckling to my self, I noticed the bouncing boobs, the post itself, and the signature line and realized I AM A SICK BASTARD!
    Oh well, why change a good thing...:wink:
  19. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    You know of course that anyone can bounce them in synch; it takes real talent to execute the one-up-one-down bounce.
  20. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    You just figured that out:lol3 :lol3 :lol3