1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

McCarthy/Kennecott

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SKINNY, Mar 26, 2018.

1. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're planning a mid July ride thru Alaska and plan on staying at the Kennecott lodge or possibly McCarthy...can we ride to either place, or will we have to park and wait for a shuttle service...
    I know you can ride across the foot bridge to get to Kennecott but I don't want to piss off the locals.....
  2. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    No problem at all riding across the footbridge as long as your bike fits... Local are good with it. You can ride all around McCarthy, but want to park before you actually enter the historic areas of Kennicot. The lodge has parking available, and you can park at the Park Service info area just before the actual mill town.
    ZiggyInNc and djroszina like this.
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    No problemo. :wink:
    IMGP6116x.JPG
  4. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    From what I'm seeing on the online reservation availability, rooms are in short supply...we may have to stay in Chitina...
  5. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    I booked an Airbnb near McCarthy for my visit. It looks like they run the Sweet Creek B&B too

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14093810
  6. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can find me in a tent living the high life.
    TheSeeker and ThatGuy like this.
  7. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you’re lugging a tent; you can find some good spots to pitch it, especially on the bluff overlooking the glacier. It can be a bit sandy but totally doable to get there.im sure there is an actual campground there as well.
    djroszina likes this.
  8. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    So riding across the footbridge as long as it fit? R1200GSA??? go or no go?
  9. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    I rode across on a 2001 R1150GS w/ Adventure tank, crash bars and full size Jesse Bags and had no problem... You will fit fine...
  10. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    Thanks, be there in July
  11. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    ya.... they ride 4 wheel ATVs on it

is there gas in Chintna this year? that would be a good question to ask. otherwise Kenny Lake is your fuel stop & its 180 miles if you just go in & out
  12. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    Will do, I have a 7.9 gal tank and an additional 1 1/5 gallon can with me should give me a 400 mile range. Done other rides and never get below 1/2 tank and will be topping off regularly. I ran close to E on my Translab trip, not in Labrador but a last minute decision to throw in a loop around Cape Breton, gas station in the middle was closed, took a detour and put the fuel from the can into the tank when I boarded the Ferry in Newfoundland thinking I won't need this anymore. Won't make that mistake again, keep it in case I run across another rider, or myself perhaps.
  13. Beezer

Oddometer:
    ya, but I don't care about whether you run out or not.... only if I do, ha ha :flip
    vegasphotog likes this.
  14. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    Might as well have fun with that, ride out of sight, take a dump and come back 15-20 minutes later. If they throw rocks at you leave them, if not share some gas with them as long as one of you has enough to get to the next gas. Oh yea, and hope they have gas.
  15. Kodachrome64

Kodachrome64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never had a problem riding through kennecott. no one got upset or mad. a park ranger snapped a photo of me with my bike ride in front of the old mill building. as far as i know you are allowed to ride through the mining town. you just cant park there
    djroszina likes this.
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Close to 40 years ago when I'd go to McCarthy by pulling myself across the river there would occasionally be a guy that would drive a pickup toward Kennicott and suggest that there were a lot of bear around and we shouldn't be walking around unarmed... then he wouldn't give me a ride.

I always assumed he wanted to make sure people paid to ride in the back of his beater truck passenger service. Now though it's a lot different and I've never felt like anyone wanted to say anything about riding whatever bike you can fit between the bridge bollards, park ranger, local resident or otherwise.
  17. Beezer

Oddometer:
    ha ha..... and some people are assholes

on the other hand, last time I was there (3 years ago) I saw a bear cross the road maybe 1/4 mile from the crossing.... very near the concessions, in broad daylight. then on the way out, my riding buddy nearly hit one maybe 15 miles out of McC... he dodged with maybe 5-6 feet to spare, the bear went between us (I was 30-40 feet back)
  18. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    we will also be there in July
    djroszina likes this.
  19. FL.Flatlander

FL.Flatlander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode my 16 GSA with factory panniers across the bridge without an issue. I had about 3 or 4 inches on each side, there are metal things stick out that make the bridge narrower on the ends. IMG_1745.JPG I spoke to some locals before I crossed as not to upset anyone, they told me it was not a probem. I waited till the bridge was empty and rode across slowly. I rode slow all through town and everyone was extremely friendly. IMG_1763.JPG
    I'm really glad I made the trip, it was a last minute decision and not in my original plans.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  20. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    looking at the motels in that area and they are spendy $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Is there camping available there too?