McCarthy trip this weekend...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by AKstevo, May 21, 2019.

1. AKstevo

AKstevo makin' copies...

Oddometer:
    Thinking about running up to McCarthy from Anchorage this coming weekend. I've been digging through some threads from years past, but wondering if anyone can confirm current gas availability in Chitina, tent camping at the end of the road and if it's still ok to ride across the footbridge?
  2. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Kenny Lake has reliable gas. Chitna had a self serve pump last year.....I expect it will still be there.
    Yes, tent camping
    Yes, you can ride across the footbridge..... just yield to the locals and keep the noise level down!
    Check out the Tater Patch in McCarthy.
    Please provide an update after your trip as I will be there next week with a group of 14 riders from Spain!
    wilsonjw42 and Phoenix101 like this.
  3. AKstevo

AKstevo makin' copies...

Oddometer:
    Thanks Keith, if I go I'll post an update for sure. Just have to see what the weather is doing Saturday morning...
  4. Cliff h

Cliff h [IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer:
    I rode dual sports there last weekend with the lady of my life. Unloaded the bikes in Chitina. There was a 24 hour self service (looked to be credit card only) fuel in Chitina. Kenny Lake Merc. was also open. We rode our bikes across the bridge to McCarthy and Kennicott. Had a great time! The camp host on the Chitina side of the bridge was there, but we rode in and out in the same day. Looked like everyone was getting set up for business last weekend, but I imagine everything will be open now. Kennicott glacier lodge opens this weekend, so I'm sure all local businesses will follow suit.
    Alaskahack and AKstevo like this.
  5. Cliff h

Cliff h [IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer:
  6. AKstevo

AKstevo makin' copies...

Oddometer:
    McCarthy road was in great shape...only a few minor potholes/semi-rough patches. Watch for suicidal bunnies. The self serve pump in Chitina was operational and was able to ride across the pedestrian bridge without issue.
    wilsonjw42 and AKDuc like this.
  7. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intel, headed there tomorrow with my new friends!
    Alaskajeff likes this.
  8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    Anyone camp in McCarthy? I remember camping off the bluff off some 4wheeler trails in the past and wondering if there still there. It’s been a few years since I made the run.
  9. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Late to the game, but last year I camped at the foot of the glacier. Take the road from the footbridge towards Kennicott mine but turn off at Blackburn Cabins sign. The road/trail splits, stay left through the woods and you’ll emerge into the open. Pick your spot.
    dirtdoug likes this.