MCN to return?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by aa3jy, Nov 26, 2020.

1. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. KeithC

KeithC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will they honor subscriptions which were payed for, and not delivered?asking for a friend...shame how the magazine seemed to go down the tubes the last year or two, they seemed to switch focus towards sunglasses, gloves, and other stuff more periferal to motorcycling...
  3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had just paid for several years when they went under. :(

Certainly aren’t saying they have any intentions of honoring paid for subscriptions. Rather doubt they will.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. simondippenhall

simondippenhall Simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear they are planning a return. I used to read this when I lived in US many years ago, and hope they will offer an affordable digital subscription. I have only recently become aware of Cycle World (I live in England so came across it online) and was impressed by its quality writing so hoe the Phoenix-like MCN (not to be confused with the English MCN which is more of a newspaper) will be of similar or better quality!
  5. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One the first questions I asked..to honor us that have subscriptions..also will the original online library will be available again..
    Dranrab Luap likes this.
  6. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    • Limited advertising, except where applicable in recommending and encouraging individuals to purchase items through 2Wheel; this type of advertising may include offers for discounts or promotional plugs for exclusive, reader-only offers from 2Wheel
    That doesn't sound like the original
    BLJPHX, brgsprint and AZbiker like this.
  7. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    I re-upped my subscription too just before they ceased ops. I had subscribed since the mid 80’s. I watched the content and quality decline of the other mags in recent years and MCN seemed to be hanging in there. They even survived the cruiser onslaught. I wish them luck and will watch carefully before they get my money again.
  8. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. It could well be a commercial enterprise geniunely wanting to revive MCN as an independent journalistic entity. Philanthropy, you know? ( And that IS possible; just see Ryan F9's videos. )

My opinion was that MCN lost its way after Searle stepped down as editor. When Hilgendorf mused about how solid MCN's future was, I must admit I snickered just a little at his confidence. Sure enough, pride cometh before the fall.

What I look forward to most is the return of all the former editors who lent continuity (not to mention excellent journalism and some interesting information which might not fit into their standard format) in their monthly columns to the evolving treasure that MCN was. Please give the Phoenix MCN a fair try.

Good luck "2 wheel" whoever you are; I look forward to many more years of journalistic quality from the revived MCN.
  9. daslipper

daslipper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking I was the only one who didn't know who 2 wheel was. Does anyone know who they are?
  10. Eddie Apex

Eddie Apex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wondering the same thing, I went to their website. The subtitle under the name 2Wheel is "Faster Shipping. Better Prices."

That's all I need to know. :rolleyes

BTW, what are the assets of a failed magazine? The liabilities obviously include unfulfilled subscriptions, but on the plus side what is there? The name and reputation, copyright to previously published articles, and... wait for it... the mailing list.
  11. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eddie, speaking as someone who has worked in the collapsed enthusiast print media, you just hit the nail on the head.
    Matt the Wanderer likes this.
  12. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    Not to split hairs, but I think it's relevant: That's not how I'd characterize Ryan F9's videos. Here in Canada, they're promotion for a gear retailer, a bit like RevZilla in the US. They've become so popular that they now generate their own revenue stream in the form of advertising. The result, in my humble opinion, has been more content but less concern for journalistic integrity, so to speak. Either way, I sure wouldn't call FortNine a philanthropic enterprise. And maybe that's the play here, too. Maybe now you can't successfully compete in the motorcycle retail game without your own content publishing platform.
    Tall Man and TonyKZ1 like this.
  13. spuh

Oddometer:
    Yes, Ryan F9 started as a reviewer for F9's products. But his videos have evolved into something much broader (and much more irreverent). Many make absolutely no mention of any product for sale at F9. Some comparisons include (and are won by) products available cheaply outside F9 (or even "for free"). At times like those, I'd call Fortnine's tolerance a great example of their philanthropy trumping their self interest. They might lose a sale today but they gain trust in Ryan's honesty and openness. Personally, I'll patronise F9 specifically because they sponsor these videos. Plenty of online retailers make video reviews of varying degrees of trustworthiness; Ryan F9's I'll actually believe.

That's the kind of journalistic independence I'd like to see at a revived MCN.
    TonyKZ1 and Xchemie like this.
  14. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plus he definitely has some entertainment value as well. I can take some of his stuff seriously, but some I just watch because I enjoy the crew's work to make a quality video on something I like.
  15. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No doubt. I really like his video about trying to destroy an old KLR 650. Quite entertaining.
  16. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    Because 2wheel has my e-dress from the magazine, I am now getting sales emails. AFAIK, no e-magazine has been sent to me to look over? Depending on who writes for the e-rag and how many ads I have to endure/ignore, it better cost a LOT less to subscribe to than the old hardcopy. Wouldn't you like to see the cost analysis on this and see who actually makes off with the profits? I would.

One of my bike clubs sends out a club e-newsletter that is put together by a paid person. I was surprised to learn how much that person cost the club. I submit stuff to the newsletter as any participating club member does. And I did it from a board of director's position. Imagine my surprise when my submission wasn't run? I figured that space wasn't available that issue and waited for the next issue which didn't have my missive either. I asked the overlord of the e-newsletter what the hold up was? I was told that my missive was 'not positive enough' for the newsletter. Imagine? A board member being censured? No, I didn't get a detailed missive about what exactly was the matter with my missive. Granted, I didn't ask for one. I am still deciding where I want to go with this if anywhere.
    fran
  17. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    I "saved" all the MCN issues since their "RoadRider" days. Musta been a few hundred issues. Offered them to motorcyclists, shops & even sending them overseas for our troops to read. Nobody wanted 'em. Ended up filling 2/3rds of a recycle container. Always thought I'd keep them around, so I had them for reference. Never used them, except once. (It was a Honda/Dunlop war regarding the Valkyrie rear tire delaminating story.) The end result had 2 major corporations, pointing fingers at each other.
    Snowbird likes this.
  18. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I agree... we agree. But it's also true that this is brand marketing. It differs from salesmanship in that it's less direct, but in the long run and at scale, it's more profitable.
  19. spuh

Oddometer:
    Well, you lost me there. I gave up years ago trying to understand salesmen's newspeak. As a youth, I used to enjoy branding, at least after it was all over and the cattle were all calmed down and peacefully grazing again.
  20. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Not complicated. Your original assertion was that F9 was "philanthropic," which basically means charitable. I said I thought, no, they're just marketers giving you entertainment so you'll like them. And then you proved my point by saying their content made you want to shop there.

No 'newspeak'. But I get that people are reluctant to admit when they're being influenced by this stuff. 40 years of experience in that business, I've seen it a million times.