MD/VA Gravel Road maps?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dick Burn, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Dick Burn

Dick Burn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are there any source of getting info on Gravel Road maps for VA/MD/WVA?

Ive been keeping note of gravel roads to ride my klr650 on, but its taking forever. Id like to find a full unpaved way to ride all the way to wva from MD, anyone know any?

I might just have to ride on the rail road tracks.
  2. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Greenridge State Forest - it's a 43,000-acre forest extending from the Pennsylvania line to the Potomac River at Paw Paw Bends near the C&O Canal Tunnel. The forest stretches across several mountains of Western Maryland, including Town Hill, Polish Mountain, and Green Ridge Mountain. Some good creeks, like Lower Town Creek that want to be crossed [​IMG].

I access it in about the middle from Hancock Md off rt 144/old rt 40 - head for Little Orleans. But to cross over to W.Va you gotta take the low water bridge in Old Town, MD [​IMG] or ride the rails.... But sounds like a great idea - hope we meet up sumday.
  3. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
  4. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    or at Delorme

The closer you are to DC (aka the seventh level of Hell, no wonder Pep lives inside the beltway) the less gravel.

I rode about 400 miles this last weekend, 85% gravel..
    sweet stuff, except for getting in a cloud on top of Reddish knob.
  5. Dick Burn

Dick Burn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mountainman,

Let me know when you go out riding. I was in your neck of the woods last weekend searching for gravel roads with nice scenery :(
  6. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    Hell there easy to find if you know where to look..

What parts do you reguarly visit?

My local favorites:
    Union Springs Road. Go west out of Ottobine (straight thru at the stopsign on 257, not left on 257..) Out about 3 miles on the left. Forest service road (forgot the number). Go to the top of the ridge, lots of waterbars on the way up and go left. this will lead you accross Meaqdow Knob and over to Flagpole Knob along a fairly rocky and technical doubletrack road. Keep going and you'll hit pavement about mid way to Reddish Knob. Great views along the way.. From there you can drop down into WV by Sugar Grove Naval Base.

Off Sugar Grove road just 2 miles or so south of Brandywine, WV is a nice rough dirt road that cuts accross to Franklin WV. It's about a 20 minute dirt ride accross. Lots of Gates along the top of the ridge. I've been told so long as you close the gates behind you, it's OK to ride in the big feilds and meadows along the ridge tops. The dirt road runs by Raven Rocks, which is pretty. Nice views up here as well. Plus it's shorter than going along 33 to Franklin...

There are two roads out the west side of Bergton. Both riun over to Sweedlin Valley. One comes down in Peru, WV and the other a bit farther south. both are fun. And from Sweedlin Valley try Hinkle Mt. Road up and over (go right at T) to Rough Run, WV. Nice section of very scenic Dirt.

Longer sections can be tied together. From Just north of Broadway to beyond woodstock on mostly dirt is very possible. Suppilnlick Ridge Road, north past Bayse, then tie a lot of the 800+ series roads together and wind your way north..

I think west of 81 a lot more of the roads are dirt. Just find one and follow it. Try just following it and making random turns as you come to more roads. Try and use dead reckoning to keep running north or south, or East or West.. Most of the ridgelines run north south for instance, so going east west usually means a lot of elevation changes and twistier roads, at least around here..

My altime favorite ofr scenery is from Spruce Knob, WV south to Durbin, WV. 60+ miles of sweet graded fireroads. A lot of 3000+ foot valleys to cross. Beautiful stuff out there.

-MM