Me & Mrs Trip we got a thing going on

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rhode trip, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a very early start in the morning. Easy, we're still pretty much on Eastern time. Besides, it's going to be hot today. I have wanted for a while to take the Geronimo Trail east from Douglas, then north through New Mexico, but with 100 degree heat forecast, I opted instead to take the ride through the Chiricahua mountains... probably cooler.

[​IMG]

We stayed at the Travelers Motel this time in Douglas.... inexpensive, and clean.

[​IMG]

Headed north on Highway 80.

[​IMG]

I think this was Bernadino... an abandoned town...

[​IMG]

The turn off to Skeleton Canyon, southeast to the site of Geronimo's surrender.

[​IMG]

Apache, Az.

[​IMG]

The Geronimo monument is right along Highway 80.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued on 80 until we turned west at Portal, towards the mountains.

[​IMG]

We stopped at the Portal Store and had a good cooked breakfast.

[​IMG]

Then we continued west, into the mountains. Great rock formations in the Chiricahuas...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road climbs steeply in spots...

[​IMG]

water crossing in a ravine...

[​IMG]

opening up to a view back the way we came...

[​IMG]

It was a little rough, washboard... she's losing her top bag.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of the mountains, heading north.

[​IMG]

Pavement, Route 181.

[​IMG]

...then east, dirt again, Apache Pass Road.

[​IMG]

The road passes through the Fort Bowie National Historic Site. There are some ruins left at the original site, south a little ways from the road.
    We wound through the low hills...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the road turns back to pavement as it makes a beeline north towards Bowie.

[​IMG]

Pistachio Trees.

[​IMG]

Got gas in Bowie, and out of the sun for a few minutes....

[​IMG]

Then I-10, heading west....

[​IMG]

Speed limit 75mph... a little rich for the TW200's... but the traffic was light...
    Then north on route 191...clear sailing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got into Safford early afternoon. 99 degrees... the heat was radiating off the road surface. We stayed in the Motel 6, same one we stayed in last time we passed through town... March of 2016.

[​IMG]
  2. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love your reports...keep em coming.
    Rhode trip and KTee like this.
  3. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Thanks, drdubb! We're about to embark on a new adventure... and a new ride report.

Another scorcher. We got an early start to take advantage of the cooler temps.

[​IMG]

Headed north up highway 70.

[​IMG]

Farmville. Green fields lined both sides of the road. Mountains loomed beyond...

[​IMG]

There were limited options for a backcountry route, despite the clear roads on the map. The San Carlos Indian Reservation spreads widely over the area, and is contiguous with several others. The routes you can ride without getting a permit are very limited.
    What we could do though, was turn off highway 70 and make a loop around the San Carlos Reservoir... it turned out to be more interesting than I expected.

Paved road, a little rough for the first couple of miles... there were houses and trailers where folks lived off on dirt tracks to the eastern side.

[​IMG]

...quickly got deserted....

[​IMG]

Beyond the habitations, the road quickly disintegtated... oh, it had been paved once, but the cracking had taken over long ago...gravel had been spread on top of the pavement to try and fill the holes..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were bridges over several seasonal washes... I neglected to get photos.... but the bridges had deteriorated to the point they were unsafe, and they'd been blocked off... instead, they had bladed some tracks through the washes themselves for detours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran along the south side of the Gila River floodplain...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Killer washboard.

[​IMG]

The Indians control the recreational use of the area. This is one of the few roads that you can travel without a permit because there are campgrounds and boat launches along the shore of the reservoir...(all of which require permits)

[​IMG]

Finally, we could see water... most of the facilities were high and dry because of the lack of water...

[​IMG]

The road winds through some low hills at the western end...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the road winds down and crosses the dam....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road was much better on the north side of the reservoir, campgrounds, rv park, all a little down at the heels. With the water down...so are the numbers of visitors.

[​IMG]

We followed the road through the town of San Carlos, the headquarters for the reservation, and then north into Globe. Short day today, but the heat was rough.
    Globe is a mining town.... and they've got their own aesthetic. We stayed at the Motel 6, with a view of a retaining wall made out of giant tires.

[​IMG]
  4. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Sunday, May 7th. Finally, the temperature was moderating. Highs predicted in the upper 80's. Yeah, that's an improvement. We rode south out of Globe on highway 77

[​IMG]

Up and over El Capitan Pass...it's a scenic ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Winkleman we picked up the route of the AZBDR, and rode it south. Wide dirt at first...

[​IMG]

Narrows and gets rougher after the turn for Dudleyville...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun ride through here.. challenging in spots, smooth sailing in others....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The route parallels an old railroad line.. still active, I think....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smooths out again as you approach the town of Mammoth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Low overhead....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The town of Mammoth... at least the bit I've seen... reminds me more of Mexico than any other around. Its a farm town, with lots of immigrants...

[​IMG]

Its quiet on a Sunday.

[​IMG]

We got gas, then continued south on the AZBDR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We left the AZBDR and turned onto Redington Pass Road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clouds thickened as we rode west.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rain clouds hung around the mountain tops...

[​IMG]

We needed to stop, don raingear, as fat drops fell....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rain dogged us as we rode down into Tucson...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode Tanque Verde back into town... same motel as a few days before....

[​IMG]
    zookster and TheAdmiral like this.
  5. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Monday morning. Thanks to Stan Dalone, we had a plan. Today is the last full day in Arizona, and we need to drop our bikes off for storage. But first, we're going to Mt. Lemmon. It looms over the city of Tucson. A short ride, and we start to climb....

[​IMG]

Already, the vegetation starts to change...

[​IMG]

The Thimble

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see, far below, the curves and contours as the road climbs higher...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rock formations that rival the Chiricahuas.....

[​IMG]

From the ridgeline, you overlook the San Pedro River Valley... where we were riding yesterday...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's cool up here... we put on our shells for warmth!

[​IMG]

Till finally we reached the top... well, at least as far as they let you go.....

[​IMG]

Look at the aspen up here... quite a change from the desert below... and as we start the descent.... SNOW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Southern Arizona's only ski area....

[​IMG]

Back down, soon the saguaro began to reappear....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A last look back....

[​IMG]

Then back through town, and out to ZMW Adventures. We spent the afternoon sorting our gear, and packing some to take, some to stay, some to ship home separately. We recounted our week's adventures to Frank, and just hung out for a while. Our trusty bikes snuggled in, we left them in Frank's care and headed to the hotel we'd booked at the airport. A final night in Tucson, an early morning walk to the terminal... and we were on our way. It eats up the hours flying east, and despite the early start, it was evening when we arrived in Rhode Island.
    It's too hot for us Yankees to ride in Arizona now, and so our bikes are dozing in hibernation... dreaming of adventures yet to come.
    But soon, when the snow starts to fly in New England, we'll be back to wake them up!
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing! Several pictures back it was strange to see the dog by the mud puddle. Looks like it's in the middle of nowhere and this dog is there standing guard. Probably a camp nearby eh?

Thanks for posting such great pictures of your adventures.
  7. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Admiral!
    That's Pinery Canyon...there's some nice (free) campsites along there. No person to be seen, but I think he came out of a nearby camp to check out who was going by....
  8. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    potski likes this.
  9. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Hey, Mrs. Trip!
    When you finish shoveling the driveway, maybe we should start packing.

[​IMG]

We're leaving for Tucson and points beyond in only 9 days! There's a lot to get ready!
    zookster, TheAdmiral and bluestar like this.
  10. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! I still have a lot of catching up to do on your "pigs fly" trip . . . always good to read of your adventures!
    Rhode trip likes this.
  11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our place looked like that last year, except for the person shoveling part. They (the ah hem, weather experts), predicted a year like last year here this year. Looks like they missed it by a couple thousand miles. Just this morning it was announced the Boise Ski Place (Bogus Basin) is scaling back operations due to the lack of snow. Uh!

P.S. You did help shovel didn't you? :lol3
    Rhode trip likes this.
  12. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Thanks, dc, I have enjoyed following along on your ongoing ride as well. Good stuff :thumbLooking forward to some CDR!

Yeah, we just got spanked by the Bomb Cyclone! It has been unseasonably cold for us this winter... and we're heading into a real freeze for the weekend.

He, he. Of course, I have all these interuptions...like going inside and getting the camera. :lol3
    TheAdmiral and dcwilcox like this.
  13. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, getting fuel on the other side is easier this time. Looks like it is! :D
    Rhode trip likes this.
  15. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    No problems with gasoline supplies in Sonora
    Rhode trip likes this.
  16. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Saturday, January 13th

The 13th didn't dawn bright and early. In fact, it hadn't dawned at all when Mrs Trip dragged me out of bed at 4:30 in the morning. We beat feet to the airport, and stumbled on board our 6:05 flight to Chicago. I knocked back a couple more cups of coffee as we flew west into the night. It was cold, too.
    Hung out in Chicago for about an hour, then we were on our way to Tucson. It wasn't quite noon time when we arrived. Warm, sunny... ahhh!

[​IMG]

Re-arranged our stuff...we take our hydration packs (without the bladders) and our top bags as carry-ons. Easy to maneuver. We hiked down the road, out of the airport ...to save a couple of bucks on a ride... past the welded steel baskets and cactus nic-nacks.... out to where the hotels start. Our good friend Uber came and picked us up.

[​IMG]

When we got to El Rancho ZMW, our bikes were waiting for us. We hung out at the ranch for a while... talking to Frank... then we sorted and packed our gear, and loaded up the bikes.

[​IMG]

Come late afternoon, we rode across town and checked into our hotel. I didn't realize in planning that the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show would be going on while we were there... made it tough to find a motel. I'd booked one on the west side of town, because that's the direction we'll be riding in the morning.

17. jgormley

jgormley Long timer

Oddometer:
    never really been, but I sure like to go...
    Rhode trip likes this.
  18. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Damn, if I knew you were coming through I'd have been glad to pick you guys up at the airport.
    Rhode trip likes this.
  19. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Sunday, January 14th

When we were loading the bikes... on a cool, clear Sunday morning... I noticed there was no nut on the front of the Clarke tank on my bike. So as we rode through the western edge of Tucson, we watched for a hardware store. Found one! I put a new nut and washer on the tank, and a drop of Loctite.

[​IMG]

Then it was gas, and bottled water to fill the hydration packs.

[​IMG]

Rode the Ajo Highway west out of town. It's straight, it's flat. Passed these folks, heading west under mule power....He waved and yelled "Hi" when we stopped for a photo.

[​IMG]

through a Border Patrol checkpoint...

[​IMG]

...and into the town of Why, Arizona. There's not a lot there... you got a gas station....a restaurant/ store to buy your Why? souvenirs, and you've got a water fountain made out of an old truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, and you've got the odd coyote roaming through the parking lot.

[​IMG]

We topped off our gas and headed south. Through another Border Patrol check...with a surreptitious photo this time

[​IMG]

This is the Organ Pipe National Monument. Cool! We ride through it all the way to the border.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a sleepy Sunday afternoon as we ride under the canopy on the US side... there's no one around... but you know they're watching.

[​IMG]

Over the obstacles and through the gate.

[​IMG]

¬°BIENVENIDOS!

[​IMG]

Rode a little way into town. Damn. Turned around and rode back to the Mexican side. You can't get a vehicle import permit in Sonoyta, but I forgot to stop for the tourist permits. We parked the bikes, and went into the office one at a time.

[​IMG]

It's over there, under the trees. It didn't take more than 20 minutes, and we were both legal. South out of Sonoyta... and the landscape looked about the same.

[​IMG]

This is Mexico Rte 8... passes through the Pinacate Volcanic Area... the Sierra Pinacate... http://pinacate.org/geology.html but unfortunately: No Motorcycles Allowed.

[​IMG]

...so we just rolled on through. It's about 60 miles from the border to Puerto Penasco, and late afternoon by the time we arrive. Rode through the city, and down to the Malecon.
    We didn't have a reservation, but there was plenty of room at the Vina del Mar... the view from our balcony:

[​IMG]

They have a secure parking area with a guard and a gate... and we can park right outside our room. We stayed here a couple of years ago... I like the location.

[​IMG]

We changed out of our riding gear, and walked a block or so to the Malecon. It's cool here.... not a lot of tourists, it's mostly local folks, out for an evening's entertainment. There's a lot of bands and even solo players, spread out along the waterfront. These guys even have a tuba.... and they're rocking out.

[​IMG]

Kids on bikes weave through the crowd..... crafts and snacks for sale... as the sun sinks over the Sea of Cortez....

[​IMG]

There's restaurants further along.... upstairs over the stalls selling fish and shrimp. Hawkers wave menus and invite you into their restaurants... each one is the best, Amigo!
    We randomly settled on one, and went upstairs. These guys were working the rooms. "A song, amigo? Happy or sad?" "Go ahead, I said...a happy one!"

[​IMG]
    I gave them a couple bucks, and thankfully they wandered off before our food came. We watched the sun sink over the sea as we had dinner....

[​IMG]

"Mas Cervesa, por favor!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we walked back the way we came, along the promenade. We listened to the music as we walked, though most were starting to pack. Sunday night rolling in.
    Tomorrow we ride again!

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, zookster, mbanzi and 4 others like this.
  20. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, Rhodie!
    Turkeycreek and Rhode trip like this.