Me & Mrs Trip we got a thing going on

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rhode trip, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tuesday, January 30th
    I guess they decided to let us out in the morning.

[​IMG]

We rode around the corner to the Malecon... parked in front of one of the restaurants.

[​IMG]

Sat in the shade and had breakfast.

[​IMG]

Then we rolled through San Felipe... past the chicken take-out... mmmm....

[​IMG]

Grabbed gas, then past the fancy arches that welcome you into town....

[​IMG]

... and onto Mex 5... heading north.

[​IMG]

This is the military checkpoint just past the Mex 3 intersection.... they just waved us through.

[​IMG]

Riding north... just looking at the scenery as it rolls by. The white off to the right is salt from the massive salt flats at the north end of the Sea of Cortez.

[​IMG]

... in between the pointy hills.....

[​IMG]

...across the sandy flats....

[​IMG]

Eventually, you get to the agricultural areas that line the Colorado river.

[​IMG]

Once you cross it, you leave Baja behind, and enter the state of Sonora.

[​IMG]

We continued north to San Luis Rio Colorado... 40 km according to the sign. Crossed the border without incident, and, apparently, without photos...still having some camera troubles after my dust bath. We called it a day in Yuma.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome, a bit bittersweet though? I’d have to look back at when things started, how long have you been on the road? As much fun travel is, it’s always nice to make your way home too.

Hope the camera isn’t too bad, damn dust does a number on lenses and electronics.

Thanks for the update!

Rubber side down @Rhode trip :ricky:ricky
    Rhode trip likes this.
  3. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if I would find a Coco encounter creepy or thrilling. I guess harmless and interesting though.

Looks like a view from outer space. Neat.
    [​IMG]
    Rhode trip likes this.
  4. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Wednesday, January 31st.

It certainly was nice of the cosmos to celebrate my birthday with a special showing of a Super Blue Blood Moon. You don't see those everyday. So when I woke up in the middle of the night, I decided to go outside and check it out. Note to self: a Motel 6 parking lot in Yuma is not ideal for viewing a celestial extravaganza... on a beach in Baja would have been perfect.

[​IMG]

We spent the day riding east bound. First, on Old US 80 as it rolled through the tiny agricultural towns that follow the Gila River....Welton, Asher, Nean... Tacna, Colfred, and Owl....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually, you run out of the old road, and we had to ride the interstate. East, with a stop in Dateland... and on to Gila Bend, where we turned south onto Route 85.

[​IMG]

Route 85 takes you through the Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Range. It's pretty impressive... they practice bombing runs with live ammunition.

[​IMG]

You can hear them... but it's sure hard to see them. There's smoke from an explosion....

[​IMG]

... there's one! I had about 50 photos... nothing but air....... they're just too fast....

[​IMG]

It's quite a show.... Explosions, sonic booms..... the jets shriek overhead.....

[​IMG]

We ended up in Ajo... where we met our friends, George and Lynn from B.C. They are in Ajo for a few weeks in their motorhome. A couple of years ago now the frame on Lynn's bike broke catastrophically on Titus Canyon Road in Death Valley. We had no way to get it out... when I saw George at the Stovepipe Wells campground sitting next to a Jeep with a motorcycle hitch carrier on the back parked beside his motorhome. "This is the guy" I thought to myself. And so I asked a total stranger if he'd help us recover the bike...30 miles of bad road away.
    George said, "Sure."

[​IMG]

A flashback: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/me-mrs-trip-we-got-a-thing-going-on.1033329/page-18

I'm eternally in his debt.... and they're cool people and always fun to hang out with!

The next morning we rode to Tucson.... closing the circle and bringing our Baja adventure to an end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Kitt Peak Observatory

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...nothing left but the usual routine. We washed the bikes, and washed the luggage.... rinsing off the dust and grime of Baja...

[​IMG]

the last traces of our journey running into the drains.... the photos and memories all that remain.....
    We rode our bikes back to ZMW, and left them under the awning. Frank was getting married in a couple of days, and was off doing whatever Grooms to be get done. He'd tuck our little piggies into their stalls when he returned. Called Uber for a lift... to an airport hotel. The next morning, we flew home to Rhode Island...to winter... to curl up with our tales of adventure.

[​IMG]

It takes a long time for me to spin a yarn. Winter's long gone.
    And now I'm typing this from a wee cottage in the village of Drumnadrochit on the shore of Lough Ness. But that, my friends, is another story.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/when-piggies-fly-me-mrs-trip-cross-the-pond.1238672/page-11
  5. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments, liv2day, and your patience for a reply. I'm honored you took the time to follow along. Looking back on a ride is always bittersweet.... even if we return, we'll never go back. It will always be different. We spent just under 3 weeks overall on this trip, but it never seems quite long enough.
    And the camera has been resurrected.... I bought a new one, and then used a vacuum on the "dusted" one, and brought it for a back-up. I've since decided I prefer that one to the newer.... not as large an image processor, but it's faster, with a longer zoom... and I'm using it now.

Thanks, Admiral. I always appreciate your comments. Coco's a character by any measure. I'm glad we got to meet him...he's a figure in so many ride reports. The world's a funny place.... a guy with no legs in the middle of, literally, no where.... can become famous for no apparent reason other than being there.
    liv2day likes this.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Bravo!
    Rhode trip likes this.
  7. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Sure worth the time for y'all to "spin" it!
    Thanks...
    Rhode trip likes this.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is awesome you saw your help from before. Broken down motorcyclist helping a brother in arms so to speak.

[​IMG]
  9. Bobbrecken

Bobbrecken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any more trips planned?
    Rhode trip likes this.
  10. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Well, I had had hopes of a ride to the Sierra Madre just about now... but unfortunately, we've been too busy to do it.
    On Friday, I made ferry reservations from Cork, Ireland to Spain on May 1st, so we'll be off on another adventure before we know it.
    And I still have a ride through England to tell you about......
    RAGBrian and zookster like this.
  11. Bobbrecken

Bobbrecken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a co-incedence as I am going on a Riders of theSierra Madre package tour soon. Lookin forward to your next adventure. I am always amazed at the roads you find. Happy trails, Bob.
    Rhode trip likes this.