*&^%$ me, stranded in Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Canada' started by oomis, Aug 5, 2021.

1. oomis

oomis What's a noob?

Oddometer:
    This one’s for the Newfoundlanders.

I had another thread where I posted about the accident in Deer Lake 4 years ago that left me badly hurt and took my wife. This trip was supposed to be about coming back and paying my respects at the accident site and thanking the people in NL who helped me.

However, my 2019 r1200GS with 15,000 &^%$ing kms on it has decided to die on me in St. John’s, on the day of the big regatta, which closes the town down.

We were supposed to be on our way to Bonavista, but on the TCH the bike suddenly died and went into limp mode with an error message on the dash “Critical engine fault; forward progress possible, see BMW service immediately” or something to that effect. We crawled along the shoulder with hazards on until we could find a safer place to exit. Surprisingly, when I fired the bike up again, it ran as normal.

My two mates have carried on; I managed to find a hotel close to the Toy Box, which is the only BMW Motorrad dealers in St. John’s (as far as I know). The dealership is closed, because regatta, but at 8:00 am tomorrow I’ll limp my bike over to the shop where at least we can diagnose the problem.

Yesterday (literally) the clutch started slipping on the bike but only in 3rd gear and up, and only after 5k rpm or so. I had it in the shop, they couldn’t do anything about it, so they ordered a new clutch (may get here by Friday, install on Monday). My plan was just to baby it, as it seemed to hold when I did. I have no idea if my clutch issue is related to this limp mode issue, but it’s as possible that there are two things as it is that it’s related.

Was trying to rent a car so that at least I could get up to the crash site and pay my respects, but there doesn’t seem to be any cars available any time soon at any rental place even vaguely close by.

I suppose I’m just venting a little bit. I’m trying to stay upbeat, but man, I feel like the universe has really kicked me in the tits.
    'Bob', shuswap1, MGV8 and 3 others like this.
  2. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Would a Tiger help?
  3. oomis

oomis What's a noob?

Oddometer:
    I can’t take your bike, Murph…
  4. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you need it….take it. You have a very important place to be.
  5. sleepyhead65

sleepyhead65 Honda Varadero XL1000, Suzuki DR650

Oddometer:
    I've also PM'd him with the offer of a bike. No answer so far.
    gnurob likes this.
  6. oomis

oomis What's a noob?

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much, both of you. I’m going to wait until I can drop the bike off at the Toy Box tomorrow am. It should take no time for them to plug in and see the stored error code and tell me wtf is going on. If it’s an easy issue, I’ll wait for the fix and then catch up with my mates down the road and I should be able to keep my schedule, more or less anyway.

If it turns out to be more serious, I’ll touch base. I’m genuinely overwhelmed by the offers; borrowing someone’s bike does make me a bit uncomfortable, but as damurph say, I do have important places to be. The fly in the drink is that I’d have to come back to St. John’s to return it, and that’d mean changing my ferry. Totally doable, but may be unnecessary if my bike can be cleared for the road.

More to come tomorrow, I trust.
    Northern_Rider777, Maggot12 and gpfan like this.
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If need be I wil deliver yours after it is fixed and return on mine. We will make this happen, goddammit.
    pigjockey, jowul, Ruffus and 17 others like this.
  8. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dam it! This actually brought a tear to my eye, the generosity of a fellow biker offering his ride for such an important event is just simply stunning.
    @damurph and @sleepyhead65 you are dam fine humans!

I hope the rest of your ride goes smoothly.
  9. oomis

oomis What's a noob?

Oddometer:
    Same here; this is why I love motorcycles. Its thr people...
  10. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The other option would be the Big Ruckus. Don't laugh.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  11. oomis

oomis What's a noob?

Oddometer:
    Ok, so here’s the plan.

Took the bike to the shop, they found the stored error code. It thought there was a problem with the clutch switch; specifically that when using cruise, the cruise is supposed to disengage when the clutch is pulled in and the clutch switch is engaged. If the computer thinks that there’s a problem with the clutch switch, there’s the chance that the cruise WONT disengage when the clutch is pulled in and the computer says that’s a safety problem.

Except that there’s no problem. Once the bike is turned off and on again (computer, duh) the code is stored and not regenerated. The bike is fine. And the mechanic says that this happens frequently enough that it’s a known issue and something just to be dealt with. If it happens again, turn it off and on again. He says a customer has a bike that does this every 6 week or so.

In addition, the clutch that they ordered MAY be in today. I’m hanging out until the fedex delivery comes today. If it includes a clutch, I’ll get a call to bring the bike in and there’s a good chance I could be on my way on Saturday afternoon / early evening.

If the clutch doesn’t come in, I’m going to carry on and trust that it’ll hold if I baby it.

Either way, it looks like I’m riding my bike across the island. I trust I’ll get to where I have to be. And I do have to be there. I have to.

I’ll keep this thread up to date; I’m beyond touched by the offers to help and the concern. I’ll be sure to pay that karma forward. Thank you to all.

Murph; give me a shout when you can, brother.
  12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best kind of news.
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  13. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    "If the computer thinks that there’s a problem with the clutch switch, there’s the chance that the cruise WONT disengage when the clutch is pulled in and the computer says that’s a safety problem."

Sounds to me like it is some incompetent German software writers at work. If the clutch switch is thought faulty, why not just disable cruise instead of shutting down the bike? Easy peasy.

At my old company I found what I thought was a software problem on one of our Chinese products. The head field engineer said 'no, this is German software. They are really good'. Well, turns out they replaced the crap German stuff with some Chinese software and everything came up roses.
    oomis likes this.
  14. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that all is well, safe voyage and I am looking forward to updates.
  15. oomis

oomis What's a noob?

Oddometer:
    Got a call that the new clutch came in, and they’re going to get to work on it right away. The gamble paid off this time and the bike will be ready tomorrow. Possibly first thing, even.

The back half of my trip is saved, and I will be able to get up to Deer Lake after all.

Tomorrow is the 4 year anniversary. I’m not much for signs or anything, but this seems like something.
  16. oomis

oomis What's a noob?

Oddometer:
    …and the bike is back, sitting in front of my hotel room. Off the meet the boys in Terra Nova National Park and then to carry on with the rest of my trip.

Thank you; one and all.
  17. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Hey Bud,
    I just saw this and am super happy to read about what you are doing right now and how things have turned out.
    Thinking of you and your family and hope the rest of this journey fills your heart.
    Looking forward to catching up one of these days and going for a ride.
    Northern_Rider777 and oomis like this.
  18. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I know nothing!

screenshot-www.pinterest.com-2021.08.06-18_34_34.png
    Ruffus and shuswap1 like this.
  19. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, this is such a heartwarming thread. I gots all kinds of good feels going on!! Kudos to all of you. Oomis I am sending many good thoughts your way. I hope this trip is everything you hope for and more. Cheers. Many happy miles to you.
    Ruffus and Northern_Rider777 like this.
  20. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like they have a handle on it. My 2018 was doing this as well. Different but the same, Dealer put a throttle body on it. Still happened. Mainly after a ride in the rain. I started poking around, and on a tip from ADV put some Stabilant 22. https://www.stabilant.com/sizes.html on the tiny connectors that are at the handle bar grips. Seems to have solved my problem Pain in the butt switching off and turning back on while on the move, to get out of Limp Mode but you get good at it after a while.
    Hope you have an un-eventful rest of your ride.
    Northern_Rider777 and 16VGTIDave like this.