Meanwhile back in the basement - Central Plains

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Tanshanomi, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I'm frustrated by not being able to spend time in my shop, I cruise Ebay for parts. I bought a fuel tank for the Retroblaster-KTM-Bobber-Thing. For $55 shipped, not a bad deal. It's for a CFMoto CF125 Pango (Erroneously referred to on Ebay as "CFMOTO Mandrill"). Not a bolt-up fit by any means, but it'll work.

IMG_2918.JPG

CFMoto CF125 Pango.jpg
    AK650, Ozarkroadrunner and JagLite like this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Everything about a twin downtube twin shock frame just makes me smile. Love it. Visions of Manx Norton spinning around my brain. I could see a big single cylinder 4 stroke in there...I'm quite partial to the DR650 engine myself...it's such a good looker. With that space you of course need a unit construction four stroke or a hefty 2smoker.
  3. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    I used my HF Titanium 125 to tack The Bride's frame tubes this morning before work. It was my first time striking an arc with the thing and, for FCAW, it works surprisingly well. It'll never make a real welder out of me [If you gotta grind down your welds, you're a "grinder," not a "welder"], but for simple plug welding and a couple of tacks, it was easy-peasy-cheddar-cheesy. I'll eventually take it to my local welding guy to get finished correctly, but that can wait for now; I have the tank mounts and rear suspension to do, and those will require additional welding. In the meantime, it's on to fabricating the engine mount.

IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2947.jpg
    IMG_2948.jpg
  4. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got any info on that belt sander ?
    Centerlane, AK650 and villageidiot like this.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Looking good! Great work.
    AK650 likes this.
  6. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    AK650 and Kai Ju like this.
  7. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    quick search revealed these:

upload_2021-8-10_21-44-8.png
    AK650 and Ozarkroadrunner like this.
  8. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    I didn't want the hassle of attaching and detaching my angle grinder. I've had it about 2 years and I've used it often enough that I'm glad I spent a little extra for the added convenience.
    Ozarkroadrunner and Kai Ju like this.
  9. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    Makes perfect sense, didn't even think about that aspect.
  10. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    There's a saying, "Mistakes are easy to make, so make them as easily as possible."*
    Therefore, I'm developing my engine mount with a series incremental mock-ups, using easy-to-fabricate materials. As of this morning, I've moved from cardboard, to scraps of pine board, to now thin-wall alloy square tube and hardboard. In the process, I'm refining the specific requirements for the engine mount. I already know a couple of things that will need to change in the next iteration.

*Okay, so it's not actually "a saying." Nobody says that. I just came up with it this morning, but I thought it was terribly clever.

IMG_2962.jpg
  11. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    P.S. I love rivnuts.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I love CAD.....cardboard aided design
  13. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    Well, this sucks. Looks as though I'll need to put "The Bride" on hold for about six weeks. Oh well, time build a Bultaco engine, I suppose!

JEGS Order Confirmation-2.jpg
  14. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    With my press brake backordered for a month, I had time to consider alternatives. I decided to pivot and go with a bolted-up alloy arrangement, rather than the folded steel box I had imagined previously. The supplies needed are trickling in.

I don't have a chop saw or band saw, and I wasn't looking forward to hacksawing through 8 inches of 1/2" thick 6061 aluminum. Several people online had good results with circular saw blades designed specifically designed for cutting aluminum. I was skeptical; as a rule, cutting metal with a saw designed for wood is a no-no. However, I decided that for $20, it was worth a shot. Even if I just able to get a good, straight, perpendicular score across the metal, it would help me cut straight with the hacksaw.

IMG_2979.jpg

I swapped out the blade in my sliding miter saw and used the adjustable depth stop to make a series of approx. 1/8" deep passes. That was probably conservative. It cut effortlessly—no bogging, no burning, just plenty of little chips flying out the back of the saw. The resulting cut was really clean. I'm really surprised how well it works. I should have tried this long ago.

IMG_2980.jpg

Here's the base plate, ready to drill and bolt into the frame.

IMG_2981.jpg

Bolted to this will be two angled vertical plates that will, in turn, bolt to the engine. I have 7/8" thick 6061 arriving today. They will look similar to this pair of commercial kart engine mounts—only lots cruder, most likely.

1629424631715.jpeg
    AK650, nostep, zzzak and 1 other person like this.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Good job!
  16. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    Making progress, but taking it slow, trying desperately to not end up with something misaligned. "Measure twice, cut once", as they say -- or in my case, "Measure as many times as you want and still cut it wrong."

36342C19-7ECB-45E6-B770-770199D3EBA0.jpeg
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    That's quite humorous.....
  18. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    I snuck up on straight, true, and even this morning. Between the circular saw and the bench sander, I eventually got there without wasting any metal stock, so that goes in the W column as far as I'm concerned. (The left mounting plate looks undercut, but I accidentally inverted it for the photo below; the angle at the rear actually goes the other way.)

I plan on using socket head through-bolts at the front. At the rears, I will drill the aluminum for 8mm helicoils. Likewise at the bottom, where the vertical blocks will bolt to the base plate.

IMG_3001.jpg

The engine has to sit in one specific location where the starter motor, the bottom of the CVT plate, the spark plug cap, cylinder, and the intake/exhaust ports are all clear of the frame, and the drive sprocket aligns with the idler and rear sprocket.

IMG_3002.jpg
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I'm going to sneak up on my project today...use the element of surprise to win!
    zzzak and AK650 like this.
  20. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    With the engine positively located, the three sprockets all line up — Yay!
    I think the idler sprocket on the swingarm pivot will work fine.
    IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3012.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    AK650, Mr. Fixit, nostep and 5 others like this.