Meanwhile back in the basement - Central Plains

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Tanshanomi, Oct 23, 2019.

1. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's almost throw away money...might just be worth experimenting with.
  3. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey @DesmoDog nice little back story on your welding, my passion was to learn to braze with oxy/acetylene from many years in the bicycle industry, which was why I enrolled in a course locally.
    The course I enrolled in didn't teach that method and we got to learn stick, MIG, and TIG, along with Oxy cutting.
    I never had any real "want" to learn TIG, however, once I started I found the same as you did, an almost trance-like state when welding with great flow.
    Being a perfectionist I appreciated the flow that came with TIG welding.
    It seemed like a real art form when you got it right.
    This excited me to buy a TIG welder and try my hand, albeit 2 years after the course.
    I am in the process of building a welding table as a welding project, and who knows what will follow.
    The passion grows the more I weld, which isn't often enough. :-)
    Ozarkroadrunner likes this.
  4. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually owned a TIG welding setup for a while. I could adhere pieces of metal together with it, but that is as complementary as I can be. i eventually sold it. I realized that buying a TIG rig is like buying a violin: it’s for those who have a passion to learn to use it well. My problem is that I really don’t want to “be a weldor.” I just have things that need to be welded. The act of welding is just an unavoidable means to an end. The idea of spending free time honing my welding skills with no immediate goal beyond the satisfaction of getting better at it is not very appealing to me.
    Ozarkroadrunner and sruss67 like this.
  5. sruss67

Oddometer:
    I completely understand that thinking.
  6. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    That would definitely require a billet rod and flywheel, which isn't going to happen. Not only do I have zero desire to go faster than the planned top speed of 50 MPH on this thing, but I am going to run full street lighting. Keeping the engine stock lets me run a high-output 6-magnet OE flywheel, which I believe is cast from an amalgam of old banana peels and beaver pelts.
  7. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    I whipped up the adapter plate for the intake this morning before work. I simplified it a great deal from the drawing I originally made, by simply using a pre-cut 2-1/4" dia. x 3/8" thick steel disk. While not absolutely necessary, this doohickey has some advantages:
    • A gradual transition between the D-shape intake port and round intake — theoretically better flow than just slapping a flat plate on it.
    • Matches the intake dia. to readily available 1.25" dia. 18ga tube.
    • Intake mounting holes are now clocked to avoid frame tube interference.
    • Intake mounting holes are now symmetrical, instead of being slightly offset from center.
    • Greater center-to-center distance between the mounting holes, which will provide more room for a weld bead around the flange/pipe joint.
    IMG_3127_web.jpg

I originally planned to thread the flange mounting holes, but at the last minute I simply drilled 6.5mm holes and will put nuts behind the plate. Unfortunately, I happened to position the lower hole right in front of a cast fin on the head, which will need to be filed back a small amount. I also need to soften the transitions between the main center hole and the smaller "D" holes. In fact, the whole inner surface could use some smoothing; my boring bit was a bit duller than I thought it was.

IMG_3126_web.jpg
  8. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    I'm collecting all the component parts for the intake and exhaust. I've cut out engine-side intake flange #2. I tend to make things round, because a lathe is the one nice machine tool I have, but you can see I had to remove a portion to clear that darn frame tube.

IMG_3159.jpg

I also decided that when I get the thing running, it would be good to have at least some brake functionality, so I started rebuilding the front brake. I used a spare Aprilia master cylinder to blow out the pistons. Handy tip: Put the caliper inside a 2-gallon ziplock bag to avoid an unexpected spray of brake fluid.

IMG_3157.jpg

The whole thing was filled with crud, and I needed both cylinder pressure on one end and the mityvac pulling on the other to clear the line. Eventually, a big black plug of gunk appeared in the bleeder tube. Once it was through, I had no problem popping the pistons out. A lot of baked-on crud outside and some jellied residue inside, but overall not bad. I was prepared for much worse. The pistons could be easily reused, but I have already purchased new pistons, seals, and boots. Next, it all goes into the ultrasonic cleaner!

IMG_3158.jpg
    AK650, Scoozi, villageidiot and 2 others like this.
  9. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    Ultrasonic bath, then soda blasted, back in the ultrasonic tank again, then a couple coats of Eastwood Brake Gray. We're ready for reassembly. Now, on to the wheel it goes on. Er...in.

Just doing what little I can every spare chance I get.

5413CF35-FAD2-4A90-A90A-40608D906A30.jpeg
  10. sruss67

Oddometer:
    That came up very nice.
  11. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    Since my trailing axle arrangement puts the fork legs farther forward relative to the wheel hub than the stock VTR250 forks were, I had to trim off a portion of the air scoops on the caliper side for clearance. [In the photo below, the intake scoop slopes up to original height at the extreme right; the red grease pencil shows how much I removed from the rest of it.] Some additional dressing is definitely needed before it gets painted, but I'm happy with how it came out. Concerning myself with aesthetic finishes is still a long way off.

Unfortunately, the brake pad locating pin disappeared at some point over the last 15 years (not surprising), so that's on order. Further assembly will have to wait until it arrives.

IMG_3278_HD.jpg
    IMG_3279_HD.jpg
    AK650, sruss67 and villageidiot like this.
  12. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    My spare brake line is just a couple of inches too short. Damn.

IMG_3285-XVGA.jpg

I taped the cheap-o plastic fenders in place, just to get an idea how they'll look. I'm not really digging the super angular front, but it's what I'm stuck with, so it is what the bike is going to have. All the clutter around the bike in this shot doesn't help (my workshop space is pretty cramped and desperately in need of a good reorg/tidying up).

IMG_3287-HD.jpg
  13. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    That brake hose will be long enough once the suspension is at normal right height.
    villageidiot likes this.
  14. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    The brake plate is rotated upwards. The caliper isn't positioned where it should be.
    sruss67 likes this.
  15. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    Never mind, didn't realize that.
  16. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    Not something you'd ordinarily consider. Everything about that Inboard Disk system is weird. Working on it is like Opposite Day.
    Kai Ju, sruss67 and AK650 like this.
  17. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    As long as it doesn't turn into Groundhog Day...if it hasn't already.
  18. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    No, Bultakenstein; that one is Groundhog Day. I started that project 10 years ago this week. And it's liable to take me another decade before it runs?
    sruss67 and Kai Ju like this.
  19. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    Bultakenstein's original build thread on caferacer.net turns ten years old today. Last night I wrote up a little reflection piece. I won't re-post it here because a lot of it is specific to that forum and not all that relevant to folks who haven't followed it from the start, but here's a link so you can read it over there if you're interested.
    CafeRacer.net: Budget Parts-Bin Bultaco - CELEBRATING TEN YEARS!
    villageidiot, DesmoDog and sruss67 like this.
  20. sruss67

Oddometer:
    Very nicely written @Tanshanomi
    You are dead right in the understanding these projects give us, so much learning, which becomes knowledge, which is then shared with others.
    We learn as we go and make mistakes, which we hopefully learn from, and then use that information to develop our skills further.
    Love your projects and it is nice seeing the evolution.
    Bultakenstein will be done one day and you will stand proud as she fires ready for its first ride with you aboard :happay
    villageidiot likes this.