Meanwhile back in the shed-Australia

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 3legs, Aug 4, 2020.

1. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    G'day

After having a word with Steve ( Fast Idle ) we agreed we thought we would have some fun with some across the pond, friendly, not too serious rivalry with our resto's.

Only difference is you Yanks call your shed a shop but us Aussies call our shed, well um a shed ( or a garage ) :lol3

So it's "Meanwhile back in the shed-Australia"

We all know that you Yanks secretly wish you were Aussies anyway :lol3:lol3:lol3

So let the fun begin.
    numbat, Bowler, Honda-50 and 9 others like this.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    brave man "taking on" Steve, i feel I'm damn good at what i do, but steve makes my work look like a helen keller macaroni art project.

5DD761CB-CE8D-4CD4-92C5-A649D6F6A65B.jpeg 12B85C77-3AAC-4C94-BAD1-5B3937E05244.jpeg
  3. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Ok now that that has been sorted I will still be updating my Mad Max thread as things progress but for the moment while that project is on unforced hold I will be starting some work and or resto's on some of my other bikes.

Hopefully between me and Steve you guys can pick up some useful tips ( as I have had from Steve's thread ) and have some good natured fun along the way.

I've already started some work on my Suzuki GT750 that was posted in my Mad Max thread and further updates will be included in this thread.

I'm about to start a resto on an old 1977 GS750 which I am going to attach a sidecar.

I'm taking the sidecar of my GT750 and attaching it to the GS750

[​IMG]

At the moment I'm collecting some parts for the GS so nothing has commenced other than getting modern discs as I'm making a leading link for it.

[​IMG]

When I get my arse into gear I will take some photo's of the GS as it is right now.

I rescued the GS from a wreckers so it's not pretty.

I also have a Kawasaki S2A 350 that I have been restoring since 1988, yes that's right 1988.

A couple of moves and life in general kept getting in the way of completing it plus other projects got in the way however I have all the parts to complete it so will be restoring that bike at the same time as the GS.

Also a friend of my brother is a painter and he is going to paint all my bikes for me ( at a very good price ) so I will be giving him a couple of tanks, sidecovers etc every so often to complete so when those bikes time for resto comes along that's one thing I don't have to worry about.

I wish I had the skills of Steve but I don't and I know it so rather than having a go at painting them and then have to send it to a professional to fix my mistakes it's just easier and probably more cost effective to give him 2 sets of bike paintwork to be done at one time.

I can still strip the old paint and do some prep so that will save some time and money.

Anyway enjoy the trip.................................

Oh and Steve don't get a big head. I'm just softening you up so I have a bed and bike if and when I ever get to your part of the world :lol3:lol3:lol3
    Richarde1605, JagLite, mrsdnf and 9 others like this.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't even rate a participation trophy compared to you guys! :shog
  5. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are damn good at what you do Colby and that is art work there. Absolutely beautiful!
    JagLite, Beezer, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  6. 3legs

Oddometer:
    You're too kind JVB. Just having a go and learning from my mistakes of which there have been many :lol3
  7. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Is that a SL Merc VI ?
  8. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    yeah, that’s a 280sl I did in early 2017. I did the engine, trans, cooling system and AC. All the gold zinc, tumbled aluminum, etc etc. start to finish 7 weeks.

this is a 190sl I did, mid 2019, not show, just a nice driver. Note the customer didn’t want the brake booster detailed, or the air intake/filter refinished.

9D52A9FA-4DCB-481A-A40B-C0CE7E8CD684.jpeg 189A6662-4974-4F69-B582-79822025C843.jpeg DFBAF55B-1462-4026-8D60-9BA31F62B3F2.jpeg
    zedexniner, JagLite, BergDonk and 5 others like this.
  9. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah bloody hell, I'm already confused but this should be fun.
    :freaky
    JagLite, zzzak, AK650 and 3 others like this.
  10. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Damn that's some nice work there VI.

Yeah Steve, will be interesting to see if someone posts a reply to your thread in my thread and vice-versa :lol3:lol3:lol3
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    VI does some work that makes me weak at the knees. :deal
  12. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I dunno about that, I’m just making this shit up as i go
    pennswoodsed, JagLite, 3legs and 3 others like this.
  13. Arktasian

Arktasian Feelin the BMEP

Oddometer:
    Excellent, looking forward to what this rivalry develops - however I must protest this “shed/ shop” thing. What about our igloos up here in Canukistan ( sure, we’re like an extension state of our shop brethren) but the cold fosters alternate, novel projects and like it or not the “Beaver” is honoured up here.
    JagLite, Fast Idle, 3legs and 2 others like this.
  14. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :beer
    JagLite likes this.
  15. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Actually that's a good name for my fridge. Might have to pinch that.

I also honour the " Beaver ". Oh, wait, you mean the animal :lol3:lol3:lol3
  16. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I'm in. have friends there. hope to come back down under some day... had a great time there. wheres grumpyoldbastard on this thread... great guy & knows airheads like nobody else
    JagLite, AK650 and 3legs like this.
  17. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Ok so' here's a pic of the GT750 waiting for the water pump ( got to get some pages going if i'm to catch up with Steve :D ).

[​IMG]

Now a pic of the GS750 that will be restored. Told you it's not pretty. I have no idea what the motor is like but while I've got it apart to blast the cases I may as well put new piston and rings in.

[​IMG]

Now the Kawasaki S2A 350 that I started restoring in 1988. I actually rebuilt and blasted the motor but over time it's become shabby again and I dare say the seals are stuffed so it's got to be rebuilt again. I already had the tank and sidecovers painted (blue) back in the late 80's but I want to be different this time so I'm going to get it painted Candy Gold. For all I know that was the original colour. When I bought it, it was dark green ( yuk ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pinched a few pieces of my ADVR550 Tanami build that I'm going to use on the GS750.

[​IMG]

The GS resto is not going to be a concours resto like the GT750 but it will be close. I'm going to take all the chrome bits off to get rechromed tomorrow. That's a small start. Turns out there are no GS tanks close by so will have to look interstate.

That's it for the moment. If the GT water pump doesn't arrive soon I might take the S2A 350 frame down and make a start on that.
    zedexniner, JagLite, mrsdnf and 6 others like this.
  18. 3legs

Oddometer:
    G'day Bezzer. Yeah I think you'll find G.O.B. is on the regional Australia forum sometimes.
    Beezer likes this.
  19. grumpyoldbstrd

grumpyoldbstrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is that you Tom? Hope you and the missus are doing OK. Often think of that trip we did up in the bear country. Geoff and Robbie are doing well.

Hope the plane is still up in the air. Would love to come back and explore more of your wonderful state. The people there are so much like Ozzie outback people, it felt like home. You and yours have always got accommodation in OZ.
    Richarde1605, Beezer, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  20. SidecarLeigh

SidecarLeigh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the GS750/DJP build, you know it will be damn near concourse by the time you finish. Should be a ripper!! Cheers Leigh
    AK650, Fast Idle and 3legs like this.