Meanwhile back in the shed-Australia

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 3legs, Aug 4, 2020.

1. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    sruss67 and Sebastionbear like this.
  2. Sebastionbear

Sebastionbear Oh! heck...

Oddometer:
    sruss67 and 3legs like this.
  3. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Forgot. Here's a pic of it all folded up ready to ride.

IMG_3486.JPG
  4. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    That meet sounds really interesting and I'll see if I can make it too. Might even ride the wreck down. Took it out for the first run today since making the fairing and the right side windshield mount bolts fell out 10km from home. Forgot to do them up when I refitted the frame.
    sruss67, Fast Idle and 3legs like this.
  5. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two words

Scratch Coat

Use a dull base coat, or primer
    Let dry

Spray a lighter coat, And dry
    When sanded smooth the light coat will remain where there are dips and dings....fill and start again

Repeat several times because dents, creases or scratches find a way to hide right until you put the actual color coat on
    JagLite, sruss67 and 3legs like this.
  6. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alex, completely understand the whole filler/panels thing, sounds bloody frustrating to say the least, damn that @Fast Idle for making everything look so easy :jump

The sidecar and tent looks amazing and should give you plenty of good times.
    One question is that step going to be stable enough after you have had a skinful at a rally????? :wings
    Kai Ju, Fast Idle and 3legs like this.
  7. 3legs

Oddometer:
    The step will be stable enough, the person standing on it, well not so sure :lol3:lol3:lol3
  8. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Finished the GS750. Still have to hook up the fuel line then take it for a ride around the block ( not registered yet ).

Looks ok from a distance. So long as people look at the sidecar paintwork Ill be fine :D

If it rides ok and doesn't need an engine rebuild I may get Nick ( the painter ) to do it all over again. The tank and ducktail didn't cost that much, probably around $170 plus my labour so it's not a great loss if I get it done properly.

Now to buy a couple of bags of sand for ballast. Just noticed I need to clean the camera lense.

IMG_3494.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG
    JagLite, OzCRU, Sebastionbear and 9 others like this.
  9. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Looks OK from a distance..."
    Alex, looks fine from where I'm sitting !
    JagLite, sruss67, Fast Idle and 2 others like this.
  10. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Fired up the GS750 today.

Starts very easily especially when warm. First stab of the button however it really needs a bloody good tune. Carbs aren't synced correctly yet and there is some slight backfire through the carbs. Not much but annoying.

I reckon the LHS muffler baffle is loose as there seems to be a "tinny" sound coming from behind the LHS footpeg.

At first I thought it was a knocking noise as I know out of sync carbs can make that sound but it's coming from the rear and as I said sounds "tinny"

I've attached a video, See what you think especially from 35 - 60 seconds. I also noticed the LHS baffle has half rusted away which is what makes me think it's a loose baffle.

It blows a little smoke, not much and under revs. Probably just needs a good run.

Pic of rusted baffle.

IMG_3497.JPG
  11. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a manometer? I have a 4 lead Carbtune if you want to borrow it.
    JagLite, sruss67 and 3legs like this.
  12. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave. I have a carby syncroniser. I need to adjust the fuel mixture. Thankfully I have the tool for that as well. Just fine tuning ( I hope ).
    JagLite, Scrivens, sruss67 and 2 others like this.
  13. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Ok brains trust. I need your help ( again ).

Trying to adjust the fuel mixtures screws are bloody hard even with the correct tool and to be honest I'm not really sure what the amount of turns are on each one although I'm pretty confident the out side 2 cylinders are the same.

Anyway bike starts easy enough on choke and will idle when warm.

However give it a very quick bip of the throttle and it bogs down and dies.

The fuel mixture is at 2 turns ( I think on 2 and 3 ) and the air is a 1 1/4 turn. Those figures suggest it's running slightly rich which is not a bad thing.

Also noticed that 1 and 4 cylinders are running approx 10 degree ( C ) cooler than 2 and 3.

I haven't checked the plugs yet. I've called it a day and will check tomorrow.

Any ideas/suggestions?
    JagLite likes this.
  14. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds like somewhere there is still some dirty/clogged passage/jet in your choir of carbs
    JagLite and 3legs like this.
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like plugged pilot jets to me
  16. 3legs

Oddometer:
    That's the first thing I thought of as well but it would be weird if the pilot jets are blocked as I ultrasonic cleaned all carbies and cleaned every individual jet. Compressed air as well.

I just took the plugs out and here's the condition of them.................

RHS cylinder ( sitting on bike, we will call number one ). Black and sooty but dry.

Number 2 - Dry but slightly black and NOT sooty.

Number 3 - Clean and wet.

Number 4 - Same as number 1.

Judging by those conditions it would appear number 3 is not firing however the temperature of that exhaust was the same as number 2 which appears to be the best plug out of the 4 so was definitely firing.

As I said before number 1 and 4 are running cooler than 2 and 3.

Number 1 and 4 could be electrical as they run off the same coil however it could also be that as those cylinders are easy to adjust the fuel and air screws and that could be why they are identical and just need more adjusting.

I will admit that I'm not the worlds best tuner. I've had success with my previous Kawasaki 4 cylinders but this Suzuki seems to be laughing at me.

Just wish 2 and 3 fuel screws were easy to get to. I've tried to use that screw adjusting screwdriver that @Kai Ju recommended and whilst it will work it's just really hard to judge whether it's actually engaging or the amount of turns.

I'm really reluctant to take the carbies off again.

Could the points or condensors be an issue?
    OzCRU, JagLite and Scrivens like this.
  17. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I've had jet issues in the past too and done the same. It still didn't fully remove a fine layer of crud/crust that lined the circumference of some jets. They had to be reamed with the blunt end of a jet drill to sort them.
  18. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn Supporter

Oddometer:
    No Suzuki expert, although not sure if I can claim "expert" status for any bike. However, perhaps suspecting cool could be partially resolved by switching the could to see if there's any change in cylinders affected ?
  19. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Sorry John, maybe I've had a couple but what the hell are you talking about :lol3:lol3:lol3
    JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  20. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easy first check - swap a new plug in #3. I've had a few dud new plugs in the past decade and it is the first thing I do when a cylinder starts missing or playing up. Swapping the coils over is a quick check for those as well. Check that the little plastic insulating washers are in place in the points too as they often get lost when new points are fitted and also make sure the metal end part of that wire isn't shorting on the points plate or anywhere else.

The settings on the screws you have are around how they would have been from the factory and if 3 isn't firing but is wet, then the fuel side is OK unless the float valve is sticking and flooding it. You won't really be able to judge the colour of the plugs until the bike has been out for run for a while as there will be oily crap still getting burnt out after it has been sitting so long.

I have one of those adjuster tools with a slightly less than 90 degree bend, which may be easier to get a direct line on the screw if that's any use to you.

IMG_2170.jpg
    JagLite likes this.