Meanwhile back in the shed-Australia

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 3legs, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Number 1 and 4 could be electrical as they run off the same coil however it could also be that as those cylinders are easy to adjust the fuel and air screws and that could be why they are identical and just need more adjusting."

Alex, for sure I don't always know what I'm talking about, some might say I never know, but maybe it's about what you posted (see above)
    JagLite and 3legs like this.
  2. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Partially fixed... maybe enough to make more sense?

Cheers... Paul
    3legs and villageidiot like this.
  3. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul. That makes sense.

Sorry John. I should have figured out you meant coils. I'll go back to the naughty corner now :D:D
    Sidecarjohn, sruss67 and JagLite like this.
  4. 3legs

Oddometer:
    May have got it. Leaned out 1 and 4 cylinders. Swapped 2 and 3 plugs and gave the points another clean.

Runs on all 4 and crisp and no bogging down. All 4 cylinders are close in temperatures.

There was a massive knocking noise and it seemed to be from the muffler as I could feel it on my hand when touching the muffler but not on the motor but has now disappeared.

Will do another video on Monday and will also take it for a quick spin on Monday.
    AK650, Sidecarjohn, JagLite and 6 others like this.
  5. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cut the ends off my KTM950sm cans and removed the heating unit, when I put them back on the bike they always made a rattling noise until they heated up, some of the others on the KTM forum reported the same.
    3legs likes this.
  6. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Took the K1100 outfit for a leisurely 180km round trip to a sidecar cross show today. Caught up with Dave ( @Scrivens ). Some serious racing and some serious air time these guys were getting.

Good to be back on a bike again but the poor old girl needs some much needed major maintenance ( the bike not me :lol3 ). Needs new engine mounts. Was getting a bit vibratey ( is that a word ).

Cam chain needs replacing. It has done 115k km so it's due and I reckon the water pump seal is on its way out. The temp gauge has spat the dummy so either it's a bad connection or I need a new one.

Had one odd thing happen today. Has never happened before on this bike. Took off from the lights as per normal when to shift into second and went into gear but revved without moving like a slipping clutch or a false neutral but I kept trying to put into gear and did the same thing but when it finally decided to engage I was in 5th gear. Weird. Only did it once and I can give it the berries and all is good now.
    AK650, BergDonk, JagLite and 5 others like this.
  7. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's elderly now, probably just forgot what it was doing for a bit. A good day out, lovely weather for a change, pleasant run on the ScrapWing and the racing was great too. Very impressed with that BMW outfit in the flesh as the photos don't really show just how compact and well made it is.
    AK650, sruss67, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  8. Sebastionbear

Sebastionbear Oh! heck...

Oddometer:
    Glad you two had a great day. I am sorry I couldn't make it - Mrs SB took the dogs to a meet 'n greet in Adelaide and my buddy (pinch hitter monkey) was unavailable. The weather was beautiful, so I got stuck into restoration work on an old car!
    AK650, 3legs, sruss67 and 2 others like this.
  9. Sidecarjohn

Oddometer:
    "Partially fixed... maybe enough to make more sense?"

Apologies to the committee for my jerry hat trick slip up with the could possibility. Appreciate the kind responses.
    When I forget my meds all hell can break loose, or was it the predictive thing ?
    Apparently I was talking in my sleep last night as well. However, it does show the missus listens some times !
    AK650, 3legs, sruss67 and 1 other person like this.
  10. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Took the GS750 for it's first run in over 20 years. Runs ok but you can really tell the baffle is loose or has rusted away. Growls too much. I think I have a spare set of banged up mufflers somewhere. Might change the LHS so see if that makes a difference ( or just buy a 4 - 1 exhaust ).

Seems to pull ok. You can tell by the attached video that I need to true my wheels again. See the bouncing up and down.

Brake aren't the best. Once registered I will put the links with the CBR900 discs. I don't think braking will be an issue then :lol3

Might even change the bars and put on a spare set of BMW LT bars.

Outfit steers alright and no head shake.

nostep, JagLite, Pezz_gs and 6 others like this.
  11. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Here's a video of the engine running. Can't really hear much of any knocking. Looks like I have an oil leak. Probably from the tappet cover.

Some more photos but this time under the sun ( I know I didn't clean the sidecar :D )

IMG_3527 (2).JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

IMG_3525 (2)_LI.jpg

IMG_3524 (2).JPG
    scot_douglas, JagLite, Nudie and 9 others like this.
  12. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    No zip ties or duct tape? That's a very pretty outfit and the red really stands out. That clacking noise seems to be louder between the two cylinder banks and sounds like cam chain slap or possibly a worn rocker bearing, both common enough on old I4s. Is the cam chain tensioner adjustable on those? Light or synthetic oils can make engines noisier too - are you running non-synth 10W-40 in it?
    sruss67, JagLite and 3legs like this.
  13. Sidecarjohn

Oddometer:
    "need to true my wheels again" ?
    Body mounted camera ? Are we sure it's not the rider's rotund body simply on the move ?
    zzzak, sruss67, Fast Idle and 2 others like this.
  14. 3legs

Oddometer:
    That's funny Dave. If you guys could see Daves @Scrivens bike you would understand why I'm laughing. Lets just say that rubber sheets can make an effective fairing.

Im using 20W 50 oil. I have to admit I haven't touched the tensioner. Will have a look at the manual and see what it says.

John, right on both accounts :lol3. I couldn't find a place to mount my camera so I put in on my selfie stick and shoved the handle down the front of my jeans :D

Trust me though the wheels do need proper truing.
  15. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Was is a link to your ScrapWing build?

Seem to remember seeing it somewhere . . . . :hmmmmm
    Fast Idle likes this.
  16. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    20W-50 is a good choice for the SA heat and what I use in all my bikes after the 10,000km point. I buy several of those 10L containers of Penrite HPR when they are on special at Supercheap around the $60 mark, handy if you have multiple bikes needing frequent oil changes.

I put up a photo of the stripped SilverWing after the accident, but no build thread for the recent mods. It would be more of a home crafts thread - how to replace thousands of dollars worth of smashed plastic using whatever you can find around the house. I'll take a photo later today and stick it up for a laugh.
    JagLite, sruss67, Pezz_gs and 2 others like this.
  17. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not trying to be a KIA, but I seem to remember an article in Motorcyclist way back when, as in printed on paper before the year 2000, that showed that running 20w-50 actually caused air cooled engines to run hotter.
    Something about the pump having to work harder to overcome the load imposed by the higher viscosity oil.
    The key is quality oil, not thicker oil.
    I've been running 10w-30 in everything I own with two wheels with no ill effects in 95 F + temps in Southern California as well as South Carolina which has actually been worse.

Mind you, just did a quick Google search for 'what oil viscosity is best for an air cooled engine' and everything came back with 20w-50...
    I might have to pose that question to my favorite Tech Scribe Kevin Cameron...if only I had his number.

Know
    It
    All
    JagLite, Scrivens and sruss67 like this.
  18. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    20w50 in Harley big twins, theyre pretty hard on oil. though i know most honda is 10w40
  19. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, since '08 Honda has switched to 10w-30 for everything. Including models that used to specify 10w-40.
    JagLite, sruss67 and villageidiot like this.
  20. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oil thread!!!

my 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio called for 10w60 synthetic. That’s better than 20w50 AND 10w30 :lol3
    JagLite, Scrivens and sruss67 like this.