Meanwhile back in the shop...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Fast Idle, Sep 14, 2019.

1. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:

So your wedge puller...are you using the screw driver to knock the bearing out?
    I can follow the screw driver acting as wedge and locking the bearing to the shaft...but was looking for a slide hammer of sorts to pull the bearing out.

I know....I am not the sharpest tool in the shed...but I really like this approach and it's new to me.
  2. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes the screw driver was the wedge and also the drift for knocking it out. I got lucky and the bearing wasn't stubborn.
    Just a piece of aluminum round stock with a hacksaw cut for the slot. Started with a smaller screw driver to spread it and then another one a little bigger.
    I think the wedge ( screwdriver) might come loose if pulling on the round stock with a slide hammer. Hitting the screwdriver from the back side keeps it wedged solid.
    JagLite, DiggerD, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    im gunna have to file that trick in my book of knowledge
  4. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I don’t know if they are the same over there, but a Rawlbolt /masonary bolt into the bearing, tighten and tap out from the other side. :photog
  5. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    And here I was using a blind bearing puller.:lol3

I bought a cheap one and it has been a handy addition. I haven't used a drift since I got it.
    JagLite, Pezz_gs and Fast Idle like this.
  6. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Keep meaning to buy a set, would be good to have around for sure.

I like that idea.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Started checking out the T-250 to see what it was going to need for parts and repairs. When I got the bike the tank & seat were off and so were the exhaust pipes and airbox. Looked like the carbs had been cleaned. I think they tried to get it running but decided it needed too much work.
    The bike was quite complete and original. Too bad the tank had been repainted. The side stand was missing but that's about it.
    There were some obvious things that jumped right out.
    Like an 18mm plug in the left cylinder head.
    20190815_133657.jpg
    It was even heli-coiled.:photog
    Found a clean donor head on-line and got it headed this way.
    20190815_133649.jpg

The main wiring harness appeared to be really fat and wrapped with tape. Rut-Ro, that can't be good.
    Removed the tapes and yep, it was fried and had one of the worst repair attempts I have ever seen. What a mess.
    wiring (1).JPG
    wiring (2).JPG

wiring (3).JPG

Couldn't find a good harness anywhere so I was just going to have to dive in and fix this one. :hack
  8. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    These bikes have a really small headlight bucket with no room for wiring, there's just a pig tail out the back and all the main harness connections were made under the gas tank.
    The crappy repair had cut out those connections so they all had to be added back in.
    wiring (6).JPG

You wonder how a harness gets smoked so bad and then you see this classic trick.:rofl
    wiring (5).JPG
    Took a day and a half and almost all the connectors on hand to rebuild the harness. I changed the routing and tie -wrapped it to keep from chaffing which is what appeared to have caused the initial short. Ordered some new plastic connector shells.
    P1120185.JPG

She's got good spark now. Need to set the timing and make sure everything else works.
    OV10, mrsdnf, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  9. Pressingonward

Pressingonward Looking forward to what is ahead

Oddometer:
    Nice work. I always cringe when I see someone's been messing with the harness on a bike or car. Very very rarely have I ever seen repairs or modifications that were done correctly
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  10. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    And you soda blasted the carbs, barrels and heads when no one was looking!

Amazing work as usual...:D
    JagLite, AK650 and Fast Idle like this.
  11. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.
    This bike is actually getting close to being finished. All this work was done in the last two months while waiting on the RM125 top end parts.
    Started out just wanting to see if it would run and then just kept doing more and more to it. It will be coming back as a survivor not a full on restoration.
    The deeper I got in to it the more stuff I found that needed fixing. There are parts for it out there but the assortment is not that big. The scrambler version parts are scarcer than the low pipe model. You can see in the above photo I found a side stand for it. It was crusty and bent but cleaned up good. The spring and hardware got re-plated.
    I didn't get a lot of pictures taken on the repairs because it was a busy summer but enough to follow along to where it is today.
    :beer
  12. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Once the main harness was repaired it was time to see if everything worked. Put a temporary battery in place for testing. All the turn signals, tail and stop lamps were good. All the switches worked except the horn button. Both high and low beam were burnt out. I was able to repair the horn button but the headlight was not so straight forward.
    It's a unique looking sealed beam.
    Headlight1 (1).JPG
    I could find similar looking Suzuki headlights that had replaceable bulbs for sale but not this sealed unit. They wanted an arm and a leg for them and big bucks for the bulb too. Not even sure if they would fit in the bucket.
    So I decided to mod this one. Headlight1 (2).JPG
    Had an old air-head reflector with peeling chrome that would make a good donor. The H4 socket was held in place by 4 crimps and was easily removed.
    I cut the reflector with a dremel and then shook it until the old bulb broke and all the pieces fell out. Then slotted the hole to make crimp tabs.
    Headlight1 (4).JPG

Headlight1 (5).JPG
    Headlight1 (6).JPG
    Headlight1 (7).JPG
    Headlight1 (8).JPG
    Headlight1 (9).JPG
    Turned out very well. I did seal the outside perimeter of the socket with JB weld and cut the parking lamp socket off so it would fit in the headlight shell.
    OV10, MrGoodwreck, mrsdnf and 17 others like this.
  13. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ My brilliant reply?...... BRILLIANT :raabia
    JagLite, Fast Idle and Kai Ju like this.
  14. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    That is seriously clever. :photog
    Franque, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  15. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Is there anything you can't do!

:happay
    JagLite and 3legs like this.
  16. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    So fun to relive the past.
    I remember the almost flat bottom Suzi head lights from the 60's.
    Was not sure which head light you were going to use, and was happy that you did use the flat bottom girl.
    But why should I be surprised !

Last time I pulled this thread up I thought, so....this bike is almost done...so what is the next bike:lol3.

Fast Guy...you have a lot of good tips on how to make tools ...I like making tools...some just go and buy them...fine....but when you can make one in short order and carry on with the task....that is just great...
    So...I have a thread "Tool Tips" that I may have shared with this group...not sure ...but I would like your permission to add your splendid tips to my collection.

Here is a link....https://advrider.com/f/threads/tool-tips-pnw.1297994/
    JagLite and Richarde1605 like this.
  17. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No shit
    What he said
    OV10 likes this.
  18. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now you're just showing off Steve :lol3:lol3:lol3

May you continue to do so for as long as you like :D
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  19. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    For sure DiggerD that's a cool thread. I'll be checking in there for new ideas. Always good to see inmates sharing their experiences and it's always fun reading them.
    There are a few projects in the wings so just stayed tuned and I'll post up something for some cheap winter entertainment. :photog
    JagLite, Pezz_gs and DiggerD like this.
  20. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    With the electrical system sorted out it was time to start cleaning up the rest of the bike. It looked good from a distance but a bit rough up close.
    P1120170.JPG

It was going to need a chain and sprockets so I started at the back and pulled off all the chrome for cleaning and polishing.
    I'll get the frame cleaned up before they go back on.
    P1120171.JPG
    Took all the parts outside for soda blasting.
    P1120172.JPG
    They all needed to be disassembled, cleaned, and polished. They'll look way better after that and can start going back together.
    P1120176.JPG