Meanwhile back in the shop...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Fast Idle, Sep 14, 2019.

1. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:

This thread goes along with the fixings.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/macgyver-repairs-thinking-outside-the-box.1406621/
    Fast Idle likes this.
  2. zzzak2

zzzak2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chain clip was on backwards, w00t w00t, for cleaning mildly rusted parts try a brown vinegar bath.
    Fast Idle likes this.
  3. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    There seemed to be no end to the things that needed to be fixed on this bike. Beginning to see why the PO decided to let it go and move on. But that's ok, I like doing this kind of stuff.
    I noticed the stator cover was cracked in multiple spots when setting the timing. Easier to find a replacement than to repair. There were a number of the Suzuki twins that shared some common parts with this bike so there where many covers to choose from at affordable prices. The clutch cover also had a bad crack with a gnarly repair. Not worth screwing with it.
    P1120189.JPG
    Covers ordered and time to move on to the next issue. If you look close at the kick start you can see the top pivot had been brazed together in the folded out position.
    Well the kick start seemed to be a very rare part. All the low pipe bikes had a different one that pivoted at the bottom and easy to find one. The scrambler version pivoted up top. Could not find one.
    And being a left hand kick it would probably be tough to find a substitute so this ones going to get repaired.
    20160817_105835.jpg
    First step was to melt off the brass and get the pieces separated.
    ks2 (2).JPG
    Once that was done you could see the original damage.
    ks2 (4).JPG
    Had to weld up the crack on this piece and build up the pivot stop on the other.
    Kick start (1).JPG
    Now the parts just need to be filed and fit.
    Kick start (2).JPG
    OV10, JagLite and Pezz_gs like this.
  4. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    While the low pipe bikes had chrome kick start levers this one was zinc plated. It will be cheap as easy to make it look good again.
    KS (3).JPG
    KS (5).JPG
    KS (6).JPG

Scrounged up some springs, bearings and a snap ring to finish it.
    Looking at this picture I can see I did this earlier on. CRS is real!
    KS (7).JPG
    OV10, MrGoodwreck, JagLite and 7 others like this.
  5. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Got the engine case cleaned up best I could with it still in the bike. All the rear chrome parts went back on as did the stock air box. Going to touch up the frame here and there but no plans to take it all the way down and powder coat. This bike will have the survivor look.
    P1120188.JPG

Replacement engine covers showed up and are in great condition. They just need the old clear coat removed and then some polishing.
    cc (3).JPG
    cc (7).JPG
    cc (9).JPG
    Time to start on the front of the bike.
    cc (4).JPG
    JagLite, TasTiger, AK650 and 6 others like this.
  6. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Someone must have had a lot of fun on this bike back in the day. There's ample evidence of a few spills and a couple of hits to the rims. But overall it's still in good shape. It's starting to look better and better as it gets cleaned up. Could it have been the electrical meltdown that forced it into early retirement? It was last registered in 1977 with 2607 miles on the clock.
    At least it was stored fairly well after that.

Decided to go ahead and rebuild the wheels then put some new rubber on. Each rim was out of true and had a little hop to it. The spokes were mostly seized up so I sourced some new ones out of Thailand. Could not believe how fast they got here, like 5 days.
    P1120262.JPG
    I straightened the rims best I could. They aren't perfect but much better than they were. I did look for better ones but everything out there was worse than these. The chrome on them is good other than some scratches. No pitting which is kind of amazing.
    Cleaned and polished the hubs before lacing. The brake drums were both in nice shape. All the brake parts got cleaned up and fresh lube on the cams. The chrome on the brake arms was all good too.
    P1120253.JPG

Spooned on some new trials tires.
    P1120256.JPG
    Went through the forks and installed new seals and dust boots.
    P1120344.JPG
    OV10, yamty175, MotoChris521 and 7 others like this.
  7. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    New shoes always make a bike look great.
    yamty175, AK650 and JagLite like this.
  8. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Indeed they do.
    And trials tires always look great on a vintage scrambler!
    P1120343.JPG
    OV10, yamty175, AK650 and 8 others like this.
  9. bigride

bigride n00b

Oddometer:
    Can you give us any instructions on removing the clear coat and polishing the cases? My 2004 Triumph engine cases needs help. Do you use chemical stripper and a polishing wheel?

The bike is looking really good, as usual
  10. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    I sand off the clear coat. Haven't had much luck with strippers, er, paint strippers I mean.:photogBut maybe that's because all the clear coated parts I've tried it on are really old.
    I'm sure there are easier ways but I'm usually dealing with stained covers so sanding is necessary anyway to get to fresh metal. On covers that aren't rashed up I start wet sanding with 320 or 400 grit. Then 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and finally 2000. After the wet sanding I buff them with automotive buffing compound like Mother's. Final shine is by metal polish of your choice. My favorite is Simichrome. Been using it for like 50 years! Lots of others to choose from too.
    simichrome.jpg
    It can be a lot of work for sure and takes a lot of elbow grease but it's totally doable without any special equipment. It brings them back to an OEM shine, not quite a show shine.
    If the cover isn't stained, rashed, or clear coated you can jump ahead. Just the Simichrome alone brings out a deep shine on aluminum. Polish by hand with a rag and then buff with a clean terry cloth.
    On road rashed covers I've started with files and/or 80 grit on pneumatic sanders. Starting with the right grit is important in saving you time and effort. Look at post #43 in this thread.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/1968-triumph-street-tracker.1159194/page-3
    OV10, AK650, Pezz_gs and 3 others like this.
  11. willis 2000

willis 2000 neo-quixote

Oddometer:
    Your rear brake cam may be off a notch, or the shoes are worn. Touchy setup with that brake arm angle.
    Edit, that brake arm is too short, oe or not.
    Fast Idle likes this.
  12. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Finished cleaning the bike up and fixing all the little things. Time to roll her outside, add some gas, and see if she'll fire up.
    OV10 and JagLite like this.
  13. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    I road around the block a few times and it's all good so far. She's got some pep for a little 250. All the gears are there and it shifts well.
    Nice looking bike. If only she had an original paint tank.
    P1120330.JPG
    P1120332.JPG
    Even the stock seat cover is in decent shape although the foam has shrunk a little.
    P1120336.JPG

The tach has a small chip in the lens. Other than that the instruments look pretty nice.
    I like the curve in the handlebar cross brace. At first I thought they might be bent but that's how they came new.
    P1120334.JPG
    Threw on some old mirrors for now.
    P1120338.JPG

Repainted the center stand and footpegs. They were all rusty. Then installed new OEM rubber.
    P1120340.JPG
    I might repaint the exhaust down the road or maybe not. It's pretty much time to put this bike away for winter.
    P1120341.JPG

There is one last thing I'd like to finish up though...
    OV10, Damian_74, busa1300 and 7 others like this.
  14. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Back when I first got this bike I went online to look for a replacement cylinder head. I couldn't believe it when I came across this.
    20190815_130213.jpg

A stock paint tank! Yahoo!
    20190815_125917.jpg
    Nice looking tank with only one tiny ding but there is an issue with it. There was a botched repair on the petcock nipple. Looked like someone tried to weld it with a wire feed and welded over half the threads on the nipple. It was buggered up and unusable. They burnt off some of the paint as well. You can see it got the decal a little too.
    No worries, I got it cheap and it will get repaired. The bike looks so much better with the original paint tank.
    20190815_125936.jpg

My good friend and fellow inmate @AK650 is going to make a repair nipple for me.
    The old nipple will get cut out and the new one welded in.
    OV10, MrGoodwreck, 3legs and 8 others like this.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic score!

Stock paint looks so much better. :clap
    AK650, 3legs and Fast Idle like this.
  16. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    I think Will is on to something with the rear brake arm.
    My vote is it's off a notch or two.
    Plenty of adjust thread left.

Oh! You faked us out with the start up vido......No smoke...:lol3:lol3
    Fast Idle likes this.
  17. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Yep, probably off a notch. The shoes and drum looked great.
  18. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks okay to me, it is is a bit under the 90 deg to the operating cable, so about 90 on brake operation.
    Fast Idle likes this.
  19. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Feel free to send me your pipes, as I have some 10 yr. old, black bar-b-que paint. [and a wire brush]
    I'll hook you up [PM me]
    So glad your back:clap
    yamty175, Richarde1605 and Fast Idle like this.
  20. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Looks like @AK650 got the repair nipple made! M22x1.0 thread and some extra real estate to make welding easier.
    Very nice job, thanks Jeff.
    Now I just need to get to town and pick it up.
    IMG_5902.jpeg
    AK650, Pezz_gs, JagLite and 1 other person like this.