Meanwhile in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by gqelements, Aug 2, 2017.

1. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Plastic Maggot" is what UK bike mag's all called the CX500 thanks to its '70s version of 'styling'. The CX500E of '82(?) corrected the visual miscue quite attractively but the name stuck. It's a term of endearment referencing the durability for which they are legendary among London couriers. Maggots and cockroaches are forecast to be the post apocalyptic survivors of whatever abuse we heap upon this planet; many plastic maggots are survivors of the abuse and neglect inflicted by said couriers.
    I stopped in to a dealer in Ontario to test one in '83 (as I said, in mid tour) and the sales manager wouldn't let me leave without buying it. I was on my way to Alaska on a 120.000 mile old Meguro and wanted to stop and buy it on my way back from AK; he figured he'd never see any other interest in the CX so made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Cost on the new bike and a ridiculous trade in on the well worn Meguro talked me into breaking in the Honda in the Alaska mudbath. Oh, and the Dempster mega mudbath too. I was Honda Canada's beta tester; numerous air filters and a tach drive plus shaft drive oil seals worn by the Alcan grinding paste was the sum total of warranty issues in 20.000 miles. Those and the bendy footpegs that they wouldn't cover under warranty. Apparently you're not expected to drag the pegs; that's what the Turbo was for.
    If ever you get tired of this beauty, I'd appreciate an offer to buy it. I know you can never relive your youth but still I could use a memento.
    Oh, and in case you happen to have a Meguro stashed away somewhere too,...
    baekdongmul, DyrWolf and Lycan1 like this.
  2. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember reading about the CX500's being almost unstoppable in courier use but have never heard the Maggot reference and never heard of the Meguro brand, learned something new today.

If you're local to the lower mainland you're welcome to stop by and have a look.
  3. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Always thought the various CX Hondas made perfect sense. Liquid-cooling, shaft drive, Honda reliability. What's not to like?
  4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely beautiful. I don’t know what it is, but there’s something about those mid-‘80s Hondas. The CXs, CBs, VFs. Something about their simplicity, durability, and just plain good looks.
    Tytan likes this.
  5. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1983 Honda CX650E

Popular in Europe Honda sold them in Canada but not the US basically the same bones as the GL650 Silverwing and the cruiser style CX650 Custom.
  6. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got an ‘85 CB700SC Nighthawk sitting in my garage. It’s not liquid-cooled, but it does have hydraulic valves. It took me to the east and west coasts, and even up the Dempster Highway without missing a beat. I haven’t ridden it much the last few years since I got my GS. But I still ride it occasionally, and it always fires right up when I ask it to.
    Lornce, Maggot12 and gpfan like this.
  7. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    Tariff bike. We got the 750 versions here. Three of us five regular riding buddies had them (not me). Nice bikes.
    John F likes this.
  8. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    How do you beat that?

:beer

And their performance specs were about identical to the Interceptor 750. I know which one I'd have bought if I'd been in the market.

[​IMG]
    Tytan likes this.
  9. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the manufacturers came out with 700s those years. Everybody got 750s, But us Yanks got 700s.
    gpfan likes this.
  10. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Triumph got a turn this afternoon.

IMG_0402 Resize.jpg
  11. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    I sold mine 3 years ago. Spent some time getting most of it back to original and then another project came along. Just needed to do the decals.

0597ECE0-D530-4F0D-BFA5-66FC86084E01.jpeg
    gpfan and Tytan like this.
  12. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someday I hope to bring one home.

Did those decals really lose all their fluorescent glory from sun exposure? In Winterpeg?
  13. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    It was faded when I purchased it. I sold it with a new set ready to install.
  14. elBeardo

elBeardo Get busy living

Oddometer:
    The spring thaw is sorta kinda on here in southern Saskatchewan....well enough to get out for a long awaited deezer ride on Saturday.
    E87E5962-68B6-4102-B115-E643AA175209.jpeg
    'Bob', SteverinoB, MGV8 and 10 others like this.
  15. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The roads are mostly clear but the back yard is still covered. Plus they're still spraying the brine any time there might be a snowflake. On a good note, tires and farkles arrived for the big bike, on a sad note the rig is still in pieces. Been lazy.
    65uVbdeuRw+LwIP7Yh+Tog.jpg
    'Bob' and Cal like this.
  16. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tonight was the Yamahas turn for a ride.

IMG_0504 Resize.jpg
  17. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    One of my all time favourite bikes! :clap
  18. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    borscht zanetti and baekdongmul like this.
  19. Ibraz

Ibraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here exept we got another 15cm of the white stuff today.
    Only a few more cm until april, then wait for THE downpour that will clean the roads a bit.
    Good news is that this slight delay will allow for a bit of physical activity. Went from 57 to 77kg in the year and a half after my TBI and I am NOT buying expensive motorcycle gear for such a silly reason. The goal is to lose 1kg per week in the next six weeks.
    Temps above freezing will help.
    Meet@Trudys, GiddyThump and MGV8 like this.
  20. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snow is 100% gone in western Nova Scotia. I just got home yesterday but my friends said it has been gone for a while. Hopefully its done for the season.