Meanwhile keeping strictly out of the pub, Vincent Spong combo

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Wildebeest90210, Jul 4, 2020.

1. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Being born in NZ and living and making Australia my home from 1980 the sheep jokes always give me a chuckle.
    They are more towards NZ and some funny ones about.
    A guy was asked how they shear their sheep in NZ, to which he replied, "we don't share our sheep with anyone!" Very loyal to their lovers hahahaha
    AK650, 3legs, Fast Idle and 4 others like this.
  2. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, lets get our bearings again.
    In this case the Vinnie engine mains....got to measure to order. Turns out they are 5/8 x 5/8 x 13/16"

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (12).jpg

And, back on topic! Did I ever mention Eric? He was raised as a dog and will do anything for an Oatcake.......fed him tonight on the way to the pub.....

thumbnail (15).jpg
    AK650, sruss67, scot_douglas and 7 others like this.
  3. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    We have the English version. The local Squire see's a guy shoving a sheep around the paddock and enquires, 'I say my good man, are you shearing that sheep?' To which the reply, 'No, get your f#cking own!!!'
    AK650, sruss67, nickguzzi and 5 others like this.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    ha ha... you got the ugly one...
    AK650, sruss67, Roadracer_Al and 2 others like this.
  5. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    You are right, here is Mrs Eric, more your type???

thumbnail (16).jpg
    AK650, sruss67, scot_douglas and 6 others like this.
  6. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Motu, a few faces I remember there, the 55 Chev ran a 396 and used to race down at Fanshawe street (at the docks were street racing was "organised"), there was a $100 bill fixed to the dash, if the passenger could peel it off during a race it was theirs.
  7. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    My attempt at endearing myself to New Zealand. Akaroa cod, endangered for a reason...tasted way too good. Banks peninsular, I was expecting to inherit it but...hey ho, couldn't afford the insurance premiums after the earthquakes so pass on that.

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG
    AK650, Scrivens, Essbee and 3 others like this.
  8. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    I reckon this is mount Cook in the background. It was either this or a LS650 Savage to ride the south island, in hindsight should have taken the Savage but...guess I was in a hurry back then.

n1.jpg
    AK650, sruss67, Essbee and 3 others like this.
  9. Crisis management

Oddometer:
    I've never got the fascination with cod, not my sort of fish, I'm more a snapper (bream) consumer.
    John Peel, never heard of him until today and I'm not that old but I can see a bit of the resemblance!
    For a more contemporary image this is us in Vietnam in 2019..... us.JPG
    AK650, sruss67, Scoozi and 2 others like this.
  10. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    The '55 Chev - if you have seen the FB clip Iain...set to Green Onion, there is a '34 Chev sedan at the very begining, I knew the family well. The younger brother had a tilt front '55. I remember it being blue, but the car was always changing. One of those '55's looks like it.
    sruss67 and Crisis management like this.
  11. Crisis management

Oddometer:
    Bob & Ken, Bob passed away recently I think, we must have passed in the night back then.... I will attempt to look at FB

Ok, I promise to not derail this further, unless you want photos of our sheep, Wiltshires, currently gender fluid due to the loss of testicles and a bit unsure of their roles in the world.:bert
    AK650, sruss67, NoelJ and 1 other person like this.
  12. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I was in highschool when Bob had his '38 Coupe...chrome engine - I was in love. I had a '38 Chev Coupe when I was 18. My first solo head job as an Apprentice was the old mans '39 sedan, Bob and Ken grew up in that car and later took it over when the old boy got a Valiant. Ken and I were the tag along little bros, but he wasn't so little. First engine Bob put in the '34 was a 271 GMC, his dream engine for years. I knew Ken passed many years ago, so sad to hear about Bob...my Brother was a good mate of his...we are talking on my First Ticket thread now. You knew Ken was an 88 at some stage ?

Um...serious derail happening here, sorry.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  13. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I first came across John Peel back in the mid '60s pirate radio days. He ran the Perfumed Garden show, late til early. Some times wierd listening, as ever with John, RIP.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    He never changed, just lost hair. Always true to the new music of whatever sort that he liked. Even on the Beeb.
    Roadracer_Al likes this.
  14. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Back off track, the Spong is here! It's a good size and the burr looks to be okay, some surface rust but really if it's not that sharp I'll increase the RPM!
    A pic to give you some size perspective of the No3....

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5864.jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

Stripped for inspection.

IMG_5870.jpg
    AK650, nuggets, Fast Idle and 6 others like this.
  15. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Didn't mention...had my DNA done. Found cousins in NZ who went there 150 years ago, my great auntie Frida married a Maori chap and had 9 children, she now has 27+ grandchildren etc etc. She is still on the green side of the turf at 88 and I reckon I should visit soon. Will start growing mullet now and swot up on 70's hot rods....
    Beezer, AK650, zzzak and 9 others like this.
  16. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    It has also been a while since we did food. I've done a sausage, Gloucester pork, jalapeno and red Leicester (snag?) curry with a fruity Malbec. Worked well :-)

thumbnail (8).jpg
    AK650, Beezer, Fast Idle and 5 others like this.
  17. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    My wife & I were introduced to John Peel in Ulaan Bataar, Mongolia of all places. We lived there for a years on a scholarship. The Beeb was literally the only english-language radio station available, and we particularly enjoyed his show.
    nickguzzi and Wildebeest90210 like this.
  18. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    AK650 and Wildebeest90210 like this.
  19. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Browsing through a french brocante - a sort of jumble sale cum pile of crap on the side of the street - and lo and behold came across a Spong runner bean slicer. And a Parsmint herb chopper.
    Dead brit clearance? Knowledgable French housewife?

I have some decent sausage with Bramley in the fridge, but they are likely to get turned into toad in the hole tomorrow.
    I like the look of yours though.
  20. Garry Mayfield

Garry Mayfield AHRMA 20z

Oddometer:
    It is great stuff and such a pleasant change from pounding your head against the wall on parts that weren't as described or don't fit for whatever reason. Couple things; I don't really know Wildebeest, motu or Chris management, although I feel I do. Parallel lives in different latitudes. I do know Chris Evans, Napier, NZ, Evans Warbird Engineering Ltd. Curtiss P-40. I haven't been to England or Oz or NZ. Probably never will now, but by gawd I can live it vicariously. Now, Mr. Wildebeest we need to get you brushed up on NZ seventies hotrod and lifestyle shit in case you get there.

From the Photo Forum New Zealand 1977:

1. Flat lens tail lights (civil disobedience to the reflective factory lens);
    2. Extended shackles to get the rake (ala late sixties funny car stance);
    3. Reversed wheel centers, whatever steel or alloy;
    4. Girls with Tiger Balm shirts;
    5. High-waisted pants for the girls;
    6. Feathered hair for everybody;
    7. Everybody gathered 'round an engine saying things like "solid lifters", 3/4 race cam, etc);
    8. Cigarettes, rings, and bracelets;
    10. Sleds (those straight pipes that run down the center and exit at the rear) I had several tickets for those in 1970;
    11. Fun in the front seat (wrong side of course);
    12. Fender well headers, hard to see, maybe wishful, but hoping I see them on a '55;
    13. Mirrors on fender, nix-nix. Leftover from Grandma;
    14. Little sister in back seat (problem now, even worse problem in a few years, actual experience speaking here);
    15. Cragar SS mags, must have cost a fortune to get the king of mags to NZ;
    16. Lakes pipes, running along rocker panels, not to be confused with lake pipes thrusting away from engine at mid-level;
    17. Torq-Thrust wheels, same as Cragar;
    18. Various hood-scoops, but missing the coup de grace, tear-drop found on almost all NHRA gassers;
    19. Full breasts, cool hats;
    20. Fuzzy dice, doesn't go any faster, but an icon;
    21. Grille and bumper gone, gasser style, loss of lots of chrome, but chrome won't get you home;
    22. Stickers on back windows;
    23. USA-1 plate, should be on front;
    24. Four door sedans when should be two door sedans, we work with what we have, I get that;
    25. Making out in the back seat, windows fogged, and more. My favorite memories. Out in the cornfields where the woods got heavy, out in the backseat of my '60 Chevy.