MEC sold to private investment firm

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jfman, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    It's been just another box store for years now.

All hail the power of the MBA....
    shuswap1 likes this.
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. I kept voting but made a point of NOT voting for the board's recommended candidates. Have to wonder how the resolutions that gave the board more power and the members less passed.
    HatesSnow and 2dogs1cat like this.
  3. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you could be right. My local outdoor store has been having issues with spotty deliveries from suppliers. For the last 10 years or more, I've been going to the local guy and only using MEC when the local doesn't have what I want.

It's not only outdoor gear; I went by a local lumber place on Saturday that had a big sign out front saying NO LUMBER. Poor buggers.
  4. HatesSnow

HatesSnow Waiting for Summer

Oddometer:
    I emailed them last week about cancelling my membership and deleting all my info from their files. They emailed me back on the weekend and said it would be no problem and that none of my info would be passed on to the purchaser once I had confirmed that I wanted to cancel and delete my membership and info.
  5. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Stopped going to MEC two years ago when they bowed to the puddle deep consciousness of the woke crowd that threatening a boycott if they didn't stop selling product with links to fire arms manufacturers. For many years there hasn't been anything to distinguish them from any other outdoor retailer, well except higher prices that come with having to pay for splashy bricks and mortar storefronts.
    Ronzo69 likes this.
  6. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last week I heard a 2x4 was going for $8 each.

I’m curious where the bottlenecks are and how long it will take the backlogs to clear?
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard it's all going south to the states devastated by wildfires.
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Heard from my contractor, as well as was reading an article about this back in the summer, that with all the vacations that weren't happening, and folks staying home, that they've been doing renos. My guy said he hasn't been able to get any pressure treated wood since the spring.
  9. WOLF1090R

WOLF1090R Adventurer

Oddometer:

This ^^^^^- I grew up in Calgary and still have MEC branded gear from the 80"s, still though, nothing like it was. Back then their own gear was competitively priced and as good or better than the name brand stuff. That disappeared long ago. Not surprised and not disappointed.
  10. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Been a member since they came to Toronto in 1985. Did a lot of canoe tripping and it was the go-to place for gear. I still have my MEC backpack, duffel bag and a fleece bandanna that Ive had for over 30 years that I still wear on every motorcycle ride unless it’s hot out!
    My more recent trips to MEC haven’t been inspiring. High priced clothing which I can source for less at many other places. Same with gear.
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  11. Snipified

Snipified Pew Pew Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Winnipeg location is a joke. Employees have no knowledge about their product. I heard "refer to the online store" at least a dozen times in one visit.