1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Media inquiry: Short of parts in time of Covid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dan Schwartz, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a mishap with my Triumph right at the beginning of everything starting to shut down. The repairing shop had to order parts from UK, and shipping took a month due to delays when the UK was on a stricter lockdown than the US.

Otherwise, no real issues. Just ordered a pair of tires and got them in two days, ahead of tracking.
  2. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    For me it's been a mix. I have 5 dirtbikes in the garage and my kids and I have been building these as our primary hobby for the entirety of Corona. I'm in the US and items arriving from Baltic counties, China and Oz have been held up in customs for 3 weeks more than once. But then from neighboring states in the same region stuff breezes right through?!

On the other hand, the USPS has done an AWESOME job at getting things to us much faster than the expected delivery date and their tracking system just rocks(updats in less than a minute). UPS has been reliable and never late but not once early. FedEX has been about the same which isn't a complaint.

Where I've seen difficulties, apart from eratic customs procedures concerning different counties I've mentioned above, is in how shops I regularly buy from are dealing with online sales and customer service during Covid.

Some are shipping slower due to low staffing and extra demand, some have stepped up their game and send out same day no matter what I buy. Some have NO phone numbers listed anywhere and don't answer emails but take orders quickly, then ship late and one small part can hold up the entire shipment.

Then my fav bricks and mortar, which I loved and frequented as much as possible has gone and closed up forever.

Overall, I'd say motorcycle maintenance has been fairly doable during these trying times and small online sales have been a big reason for that.
  3. frankdrack

frankdrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought that Wilson Ring was the only journalist in Vermont.

4. bisbee

bisbee n00b

Oddometer:
    Not motorcycle related but I have been waiting for a fuel pump for a Fiat 500 for 2 months now. Bosch pump made in Mexico. The factory is probably only 150 miles from my house. The factories shut down and the dealers ran out of inventory. Motorcycle parts have been easy to get.
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parts are becoming a crap shoot. Even if available shipping is the holdup. That's what happens when a company practices a LEAN stocking program.