Meet up in Banamichi Sonora in November

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Turkeycreek, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'm Turkeycreek. My wife and I live full time in Banamichi, Sonora Mexico where we built and operate a small hotel. After much thought, discussion, hand-wringing and analysis for the best dates for a meet up in Banamichi, I threw a dart at the calendar and came up with Nov 11, 12, 13. This is 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. Of course you can come and visit on your own schedule at any time. We are almost never not here.

Banamichi is a small pueblo of about 3000 people. We are about 135 miles from either Nogales, AZ and Bisbee, AZ, a little more from Agua Prieta and a bit over 100 miles north of Hermosillo. We have a gas station, an OXXO, Neveria and restaurants. The town is clean, safe and full of friendly, welcoming people. We have a small working silver mine near town.

Barring a late season hurricane the weather should be mostly dry. Some of the river crossings will be wet but not too deep. Temps typically mean warm days and cool sometimes chilly nights. Typical of the desert are day night swings of 30 to 40 degrees F. Of course if you plan to ride up higher into la sierra you can expect colder weather.

Any chill can be remedied by a sip or two of Bacanora, our local agave moonshine. We just took delivery of a gallon. The big green jug some of you know is full to the brim.

Other than the usual swapping of lies and drinking beer things to do include the nearby hot springs, our new hotel pool (hope it is warm.) If there is enough interest we can set up a visit to a rustic Bacanora still including a lunch prepared still-side and the opportunity to buy a bottle. There are some fun day rides, paved or what passes for pavement, up into the mountains. Horseback riding is a possibility but the ranch owners need advance notice since these will be real working horses used by los vaqueros. Depending on how many people show an interest we may be able to plan a performance by our internationally known folk dance group. I have a couple of guitars. I will get the costs for these activities if there is enough interest. We don't mark these up, it all goes to our neighbors who provide the services.

Banamichi is a good kick off point for Copper Canyon and points south and also for the ferries to Baja from Guaymas, Topolobampo or Mazatlan. We are between Mex 16 and Mex 17.

There are about 40 hotels rooms in town, Los Arcos has the 11 best. with secure parking and a pool. You get to choose your lodging. We can help with other hotels and we don't take a cut. There is camping available near by.

This is an informal type of thing. Filling our hotel rooms and restaurant is great but that's not what's behind this. I'm looking to introduce more riders to our area, to Mexico and get to meet some of you I only know online and get to see some of you who have been here before again.

I will cross post to the other Mexico threads and open a new thread. Hoping for lots of interest so we can make this a reality.

Check out www.banamichimexico.com and our hotel website shown below for info about the area.

Contact us through this site, a pm, through our hotel site or call on our US or Mex lines.

Saludos!
    Cow Boy Brad and Nata Harli like this.
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does sound like a great idea. What are the room rates for a weekend's worth? Sounds like a good family vacation with dirt bike in tow.
    Nata Harli, Mainecoons and bananaman like this.
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your interest.
    Our room rates are $75 a night for a single room (one queen bed) and $92 for a double with 2 queen beds. We have 2 suites with a queen bed in the bed room and a pullout queen sofa in the living room. They also have a mini fridge and a microwave at $107. Rates are lower at some of the other places in town.

We can get you down in the sandy washes and the river and maybe on the ranch roads so you play in the dirt. You need TVIPs. Car and trailer are a single permit. I have to check the cc limit on dirt bikes for when you need a permit. Any one have current info?
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Hmmmm, I'm a definite maybe. I can make it in a day on my dual sport ST1300 or in a day and a half on the 950. I'll be following this thread.
  5. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    A day? Are you slowing down? Thanks
    jonz likes this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rw66 had a plan for Fresnillo in May but had a accident and could not arrange things so we had a mini meet in Zacatacas with RW66, MitchG, Pedro from Spain and Myself. Had lunch and went on a mine tour, overall a good 3 days in Zacatecas!!
    RW66 likes this.
  7. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    So, are we thinking of making this our destination for this year's ALARR? If so, TM, Bananananananaman and I need to start contacting our core group, right?

Right now, I'd say I'm a go for this year's ALARR being held here. I might be bikeless at the time but I could drive and carry a lot of shit for everyone.

Has someone told Doogle about this thread? Who else do we need to contact? If we're planning on making this ALARR for this year do we need to give our core group first shot at the accommodations?

Sounds like John and Max are definite maybes. Let's get our shit together a little early this year, what say?

Max & John, were you thinking of the weekend of Nov 11-13 for ALARR or just thinking of this hotel/area and another date? I'm pretty flexible right now so I'd be happy with any date but this sounds like a great place to hold ALARR.

Maybe we should carry on this conversation in the ALARR thread so we don't hijack this one.
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    As I said in the post, there are about 40 rooms in town and camping available. There are rooms in the nearby towns as well. I hope we can make this a BFD, the region needs a boost.
  9. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you are talking ! The perfect place for a LARR! Dude!:lol3
  10. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

After this event, alot of options, come down to Kino, ride the Coastal road north to Penasco, or go to Guaymas and take the ferry over to Baja for the 1000
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    For reference it's about 8 hrs from here to Mexicali on Mex 2 then 90 miles to Ensenada.
    bananaman likes this.
  12. tilmac

tilmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This sounds like the perfect way to finish off our Big Bend trip and to get the wife and I used to travelling in Mexico.
    Lemme work on the schedule and try to make it happen.
  13. Mainecoons

Mainecoons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, great idea. Let me know if you do it again. I'll ride up and join you. Or you can have it here next time!
  14. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Tom. Was talking to jimmex about this. Sounds fun. Will see if I can make it happen. David
  15. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    That would be fantastic. You will be the official Music Director.
  16. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hwy 2 is boring and full of truck traffic, come down to Kino
  17. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Lots of interest and a couple confirmed. I think this is going to be good
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have interest also but planning that far out is impossible, hope to see you all
  19. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^+1. I will try to swing it but won't know until the time draws much nearer. Probably end up sleeping in the van down by the river. Think it would be a lot more fun than watching some motorcycles race in the dust.
    ApexJeff and jimmex like this.
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Here is a quick update. The meet up is scheduled for for Nov 11, 12, 13 or whenever you want to get here. Several riders have made reservations at Los Arcos and there is a lot of interest. I will be posting on the Hotel Los Arcos web page, and FB page and sending out info in our email news letter. I will also post on the FB pages Motorcycle Mexico, Horizons Unlimited and Advrider.

It is looking like the new swimming pool is about a week and a half from opening.

I'm adding a request for some school supplies. Pencils and notebooks mainly. I'll talk to the teachers soon on things they need that can be carried down on a bike.

Looking forward to a great time
    noshoes, jimmex and Chabochi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.