1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Mefo Super Explorers va Shinko 805?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by ChopperCharles, Apr 29, 2021.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just snagged a full set of super explorers for $135 off of eBay. 110/80/19 front and 150/70/17 rear. For that price I couldn’t pass them up. How do they compare to the shinko 804/805 for longevity and street manners?

Charles.
  2. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Have you used Shrink 805 before?
    I ran them on my 800 Tiger XCx, great off road, a bit slippery on tarmac, lasted about 5 mins. Never again.
    The Mefo's l don't know.
  3. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I've got an 805 rear on the back of my Yamaha SCR950. No problems on the street and they're pretty nice on the gravel. Rear is wearing faster than I'd like, but it's a heavy bike and I'm throttle-happy.

Charles.
  4. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Well, so far I like the Super Explorers. But granted, I've only got about a hundred miles on them.

I replaced a perfectly good, 2500-mile set of Metzler Tourance tires with the exact same sizes of the Super Explorers so I'll start with comparing there. The tourance is a neutral tire that requires a bit of effort to turn in. Not a lot, but you have to actively counter-steer to get the bike to turn in. Once in a turn, the bike is very easy to change a line, without thought or conscious counter-steering. The Mefo Super Explorers are pretty much the exact opposite. They turn in without thought. They're a more agile tire on the street. They have plenty of street grip, and they handle very well. However, once you're committed to a line, they require active counter-steering to adjust the line. They also have a particular line they like to be in, and if you're going slower and riding just on the cusp of where they want to fall in, it will feel just a dash twitchy.

Looking at the tires, both the front and rear Tourances are flat and wide. The Mefos have a more triangular tread pattern, with big beefy knobs in the center. The rear Super Explorer in particular looks more pinched/triangular and taller than the Tourance, even though they're both 150/70/17 tires. The fall-in may dissipate with lots of street miles to wear down the center tread, I will report back on it. The bike definitely feels a little taller with the Mefos on the bike vs the Tourances. Traction for the mefos is good, but I was able to break the rear loose for a half second on sandy pavement, where the Tourance wouldn't have slipped at all.

For the street, the tourances are just a great tire. But I didn't buy a Benelli scrambler to ride it on the street :)

It's hard to compare this tire to the Shinko 805, because they're on completely different motorcycles. I will say the Mefos have a far more pronounced clumpity-clump feeling at low speeds. The knobs are spaced farther apart, and they look like they'd be a lot better for mud than the Shinko 805. Unlike the 805, they have offset lugs and should provide a lot more lateral stability. The sidewalls are FOOKIN STIFF. Way stiffer than the 805s. It will be an absolute bear to break the bead on a Mefo Super Explorer. It was a bear to mount the tires, and I don't want to think how bad it would be to fix a tube in the field. The 805 went on with little drama. The Mefo required my longest, curviest tire irons. No way I could install it with the shorties I have in my travel kit. I tried.

I will try them out in serious off-road conditions the weekend after memorial day. Rock gardens, mud, and rutted trails galore with the Italian adv rally at Mountain View Motorcycle Campground, and then report back how they did. The Tourances were less than stellar last month. They handled everything *okay* except the uphill wet grass. That was a drop :/ The tourances were confidence-inspiring on road, but are really just street tires, and behaved as such off-road. The Shinko 705 has more meat to them than the Tourance.

Charles.
  5. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Here’s a pic of them on my Benelli.

948FD283-D2DE-4B83-A2F0-C1075FC2614F.jpeg

3BE6BE4B-F8B3-4E4A-8C84-8E5287DCAF30.jpeg

Charles.
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I got about 6000 km out of 804/805s on my Africa Twin, worked well on dirt and no complains about their handling on tarmac. I'd buy 'em again if I rode enough dirt to merit them.