Mein Butt ist Iron, yah!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Myles Whitfield, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Myles Whitfield

Myles Whitfield Studly Moderator

Oddometer:
    Well the much touted SaddleSore 1000 aka SS1k from Tucson is over...A brief description for your amusement.

Saturday 0530 am finds me on the road-90 minutes later than expected, but a last minute bailout by my riding partner left me searching for a more suitable route for one guy going it alone. Did I mention how damn tired I alredy was? Well, not much sleep the night before as I suddenly forund myself switching gears-then, at 0345 this am the ONLY thunderstorm in the great State of Arizona was along my intended route..>Safety First and another route is formulated....

4 hours later I stop for 10 minutes at a buddies house in Flagstaff to confirm that i'd be back through later in the afternoon for a quick nap...fat chance.

45 minutes later and I'm having a nice mid-morning chat with an Arizona Highway patrol officer who knew damn well, as did I that I was flying in the triple digits, yet reduced my speed to 89 in a 75, and then wrote only a warning because I seemed to have forgotten my Insurance ID card...

Westbound and I blow through Kingman on my way to the Hoover Dam and Las Vegas--common sense did not force my to refuel in kingman, as SURELY there must be ample fuel on this heavily travelled artery to Vegas, right? Surely you jest...and stop calling me Shirley..

So, as the world famous evaporating "before your very eyes" BMW gas gauge eats up three bars in about 10 minutes I find myself sheepishly in a Petting Zoo or other such nonsense looking for fuel...Security is very heavy at the dam, expect delays, and there ain't no fuel from here to there...Now I'm backtracking to the ONLY gas station along that 90 mile stretch of highway...

After a quick dose of fuel at $3.01 a gallon--bend over...I'm back on my merry way..

The rest of the jaunt is uneventful to Vegas-got stuck with some Snarley riders to whom the 15 mph speed limit is well suited, and did a quick turnaround after documenting my arrival..

Return trip the same in reverse....But for the weather..

Approaching flagstaff on the I40 flight path I noticed grim clouds, and the conspicuous absence of the 15000 mountains that lived there last time I looked....

A quick stop at the Parks AZ rest stop to zip up the stitch reveals a light truck pilot donning his BMW rainsuit...A quick chat reveals that not only is his name Joel from San jose California, but he knows the Fish, himself! Not only that, but apparently fishhead traded in his Light truck for his current RT. Needless to say Joel had a weather radio on his starship, and an updated forecast was secured...

A brief stop in flagstaff to rest my weary ass-40 minutes, a quick chat with the wife, and I'm homeward bound..

Warmed up through Phoenix, and rained the rest of the way down the slab..

happy to peel off the gear-slept the entire next day...

1101 miles indicated, 18.5 hours in the saddle...

On reflection it was really sorta fun.
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Congrats, Myles! Joel from SJ? Joel Gringarten? Cool. Nope, he's lying...I don't exist so it's not possible for people to actually know me.

I'm thinking of becoming a Nihilist...where can I get the best prices on Nietzsche books? :huh
  3. Myles Whitfield

Myles Whitfield Studly Moderator

Oddometer:
    yeah Fish-

Joel...pretty sure was his name. I was on autopilot at the time, plus I had those custom earplugs in that make it really tough to hear much of anything....

let's see....champagne colored KLT, and one of those really wild paint jobs on an arai or shoei full faced helmet...

said he was on his way to a family reunion of sorts, and also a KLT rally in Little Rock Arkansas, claimed to be a neighbor of yours...

the amazing thing was that he'd ridden nearly as far as I had and was CLEAN...guess the KLT provides better protection than even the Givi enhanced GS---if there are no bugs left in Northern AZ it's 'cuz they were on my faceshield..

I must really be a wimp because I'm STILL tired....
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Yup...that's the guy. I took him for a ride on a rainy day and showed him how to sport ride his KLT :)
  5. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!! Doing a SS1000 really puts you in a new fraternity. Your non-LDR buddies think you're nuts, and you start thinking about doing it again, but just a bit quicker. I proudly have my license plate backer on my airhead GS, though I did the trip on an oilhead. It was too much work to not show it off.

Mine was much luckier when it came to the police (got off the road just in time)and the weather. But construction killed my time to 18.5 hours as well. The cop that signed off my witness form at the beginning said he'd sign anything to get me out of his town.:smile6 (What do you expect at 0300 hours?)

Welcome to the club.

Cpt. Ron:1drink
  6. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Myles,

I have been reading the posts today and noticed your story. Sounds like you had a good time except for the fuel problem:(: , been there done that.

If this is your first LDR, it won't be your last, it gets habit forming, it has now become my drug of choice. The problem is soon you won't have anybody to ride with, most folks will call you crazy, others just won't be able to keep up, and then there is the new tires every other week or so.

As to being tired, after a while you get to a point were you run on shear will power. I get so wound up when I am going on a long ride that by the time I leave home I have already gone without sleep for many hours. I am just like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning, can't sleep, just want everything to get started.

Oh well, nobody said it would be easy, "So many roads, so little time." NSD, ( Never Say Die )