Mendo NF Rally 2011

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
  2. cme4lyt

cme4lyt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't quite know how to say Thank You to everyone who was a part of this great weekend so I guess I'll just ramble on and fill in the blanks later !!

So, in no special order a special Thanks and a mention to Marsha, DaveBro, Cory, Sharon, Janet/Marcial/Luke, Andy, Wilem, Tim, SuperSuz and all the others I met who made this event so cool and wonderful.

Great vibes, people, stories, personalities, location, FOOD, bike washing, wrenching, entertainment, weather: couldn't get much better than that. Still cannot believe this was the 'First Annual'. Can only imagine what this event could grow into ?

Of course, who could forget our amazing organizer Dean. I doof my fedora to you, Sir. Thank You for making this happen.

See you all on the dirt real soon... jonathan

PS. Have about 30 pics that I'll post later this week.
  3. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back at 7:00, done unloading at 8:00. Lot's of fun and lots of food.
    I just wanted to let everyone know because of the generous extra contributions
    of the folks at the rally we broke even.

Thanks everybody!

For people who would like to make a contribution I think a donation to the ADV site
    would be in order. That's what we were going to do if we had any extra $.

I'll chime in some more tomorrow, I'm going to go relax now.
  4. Plinkerton

Plinkerton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to hear you guys broke even.

We had a great time.

It was fun putting faces to names, though I have to admit, I don't know the screen names of hardly anyone I met...

So feel free to remind me if I act like I don't know who you are.

My name is Ori, I was there with Lauren (as Dean has now named Laylo (Laylow?)), she was the one with the "cute" bike. The TTR-125.

Since we live here, we ride out in Mendo a lot, but it was so much more fun to have a bunch of like-minded people around, sharing a common interest. We've never done anything like this before, and it was a blast.

You were all so easy to talk to, and I haven't sat around a campfire having good beer and great conversation for far too long.

Thanks to all who helped organize this, and thanks to everyone we met.

If you're ever riding out here at Cow, or Mendo, feel free to hit me up. I'm almost always down to ride.

Now it's time for a much needed shower...
  5. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checking in to say I made it home at 8:30 (dusk, not dark :wink:). What a great weekend. Got to grab some food and a glass of wine and soak these tired old bones.
  6. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
  7. MX1WEST

MX1WEST Enduro, Rally, Adv, MX parts and accessories.

Oddometer:
    Dean and Cory great work.

We had great plans but life delt us a bonus with my brother in law and wife and a new baby girl. The official 2011 NF Mendo ride mascot: Kaya Bloc Shepard!

Hope all had a great time and we look forward to next time.

And Yes I know the Kaya reference with Mendo....They're from England..

J
  8. chicando

chicando n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes! Yes! Yes!
    Thank you all! :clap It was really a fantastic weekend. I have ridden a dirt-bike and camped around many places in Japan. The spirits of adventure riders are so universal. I am so glad to get back in this community. FYI: I haven't ridden ever since I came to the US 9 years ago and just started riding again 3 months ago. :)
    Thank you, Dean, Marsha, Cory, Dave for lots of preparation. It was awesome dinner. I will do some camp menu a la Japonaise some day!

Thanks to Keith and KLRocket for giving me medicines so I could safely get back home.
    As for my left shoulder... It was painful after I came home and I met an orthopedist today and took X-ray. It turned out there is a light greater tuberosity fracture on the left shoulder. Ouch! :eek1 He said there is nothing he can do and pain goes away pretty quickly. Meanwhile, I had my chiropractor appointment later in the day for my semi-regular visit for my backpain. I brought my X-ray out of my curiosity because he might be able to do something to relieve my pain quickly. He actually found another issue called AC separation which was pretty obvious from X-ray, but the orthopedist that I met early in the day didn't point out... My chiropractor is one of the best in SF and he gave me some treatment. In the end, I was really lucky. :clap
    I was upset not because I crashed but because I had pain on my shoulder. I am supposed to dance at the SF Carnaval parade in 3 weeks! Can I dance with a broken wing? I think I can because someone finished Dakar with a broken leg. Our choreograph has challenging shoulder movement which concerns me. It will be very interesting to see how it goes.:rofl

I will post a few pictures on the ride report thread.

Once again, thank you all! Hope to see you very soon. :)
  9. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hi chica, i'm saddened by you getting hurt..:(:

wish you a quick recovery. do not let that stop you from riding. getting hurt and making mistakes make you a safer and better rider.

take riding lessons, it prepares your mind and improve your riding skills.

keep on riding!
  10. chicando

chicando n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joel. You are very sweet. :)
    Yes, I am thinking to take a few lessons and will keep on riding. I am really not discouraged. It was just a bad timing because I am so passionate about dancing at the SF Carnaval as much as riding. So, I need to get recovered quickly. Anyhow, I will recover very soon. Thanks again for your kind advise.
  11. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Looks like everyone had a great time. :clap (Dean, it sounded like it would be awesome when you told me about it in DV.)
    Too bad I missed it... busy working on the house...

I'd love to be a part of the second annual MNF rally next year. :wink:
  12. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who chipped in extra for those of us who bailed. FWIW, I made a donation to the Blue Ribbon Coalition on your behalf. Thanks for covering my a$$ and I hope to see you next year.

Dave
  13. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    It's time for me to put in for my 2012 vacation at work... When is the Mendo NF Rally 2012 gonna be? I definately want to go back to that area next year and I had a lot of fun hanging out with everyone at this year's rally.

Well?!?
  14. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll most likely be at a similar time, early May. That's when the campsite opens.
    If it's a heavy winter may do it a couple of weeks later so we have more routes
    open than last year.

I'll talk with Cory, Marsha and Dave in the next couple of months and firm it up.
  15. cme4lyt

cme4lyt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Dean, let's shoot for a couple of weeks later so it warms up a little and we can avoid the snow....altho' that was cool !

Not too late so we run into everyone and anything !!

I'M IN...:clap
  16. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    Dean,
    We should do one this winter!!!!
    Snow is fun!!! make it more small bike single track stuff!!
    If any of you guys actually wanna ride fun stuff...
    Or if we act fast we could do big bikes before to much snow falls.........

anywhoo lets ride!!!!
  17. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were up at Pillsbury two weeks ago. The Lake looked WAY different, but we got all the way up to Hull MTN. October is such a great time to explore. Not a soul up there and the weather was perfect. We were on the 990's and took the significant others along.

Here are a few photos if you didn't see my ride report - I could spend a month out there in Mendo.

[​IMG]

There was a LOT of water here in May!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snake Charmer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It just sucks getting a flat!
    [​IMG]

DRYYYYYYYYY

[​IMG]

I am in for next spring but vote for a date before Memorial day. I need more practice in the snow banks anyway.