Mendo NF Rally 2012

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    High valley road out of clear lake oaks to Bartlett springs area you can hit M5 to Letts lake M10 or twin valley road to bear creek for those riding in and want to ride some dirt fire roads while heading to camp all can be done loaded with gear
  2. Capt.saveaho

Capt.saveaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So stoked to say this... Which orange bike do I bring up? I just bought a brand new 990 last night, I'm bringing it home tomorrow. I am going to bring up my 525 because I wanna trail ride but now I have options!!!!
  3. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    :wink:
  4. Capt.saveaho

Capt.saveaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah I'm don't that baller, I didn't drop 14k cash on a new bike. But at 22 I got instantly approved for the loan with a reasonable interest rate. Thats something to be proud of.:D
  5. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    I thought there was a pay shower over at the "resort"... And, also, IIRC, there is spotty cell coverage over there too (AT&T at least)...

Pizza coming out of the smoker last year was awesome! I hope I make it there before it's all gone, but I doubt it... :D
  6. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Launching ignition sequence

We will see you there:wink:
  7. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    Their hot coin-op showers take quarters and work if the generator is on: around 9am - 12pm and 6pm - 9pm, with the evening session being the most likely. The point light will be on in the marina if the generator is running, or ride over and listen for it. It's pre-season and the showers are still 'rustic' from the off-season, so bring your quarters, flip-flops and a love of nature between your toes. :yikes :lol2 Maybe my inquiry call will inspire someone to bust out a mop. :dunno

8. Titus58

Titus58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all - anyone planning to join us tomorrow am @ at the Concord departure above, the NEW TIME IS 10:30am (KSU)

T
  9. Titus58

Titus58 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the heads up :thumb Thought I was gonna have to bring my bio-degradable soap and wash up in the cold lake :D
    And good to know re needing quarters.

T
  10. lastplace

lastplace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading up in the Sprinter van on Friday. Leaving SF right after coffee. So, I should be there at lunchtime.

Here's a possibly out-of-line request: My 2 dogs sleep in the Sprinter. Any chance you early arrivers can hold just one of the truck spots in the parking lot near the campground for me? My pooches will freak out if I lock them in the van overnight a ways down the road.

If this is possible, I'll offer free tire or flat changing to the first person who asks when I get there. You can take me up on that either on the trail or in the campground. I'll bring my tire irons. (I'd probably do it anyway.)

thanks!

fun fun
    Charlie
  11. chrisBTSC

chrisBTSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's nothing better than a cold lake bath after a long day of riding.
  12. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Dirt gear optional...
  13. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    Bike optional.
  14. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    Quarters are universal, never go on any trip w/o $5.
    from washing clothes, to operating showers, paying meters...youll always wish you had them if you dont carry them.
  15. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    :nod I carry mine in a 35mm film canister.
  16. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    On my way! Knoxville is dry, the gate on Reiff is open, and the water is under the causeway ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some weather coming ... Indian Valley:

[​IMG]

See you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
    PS: couple more here, if links are broke!
  17. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any of the Thursday trucking arrivals bringing pop-up tarps? Seems we may have rain or showers all afternoon and possibly into the evening. Great weather forecast for the rest of the weekend though.
  18. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got it covered, pun intended.
  19. chrisBTSC

chrisBTSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have an easy up as well as various tarps and ropes we can tie off to trees if needed.
  20. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    Lesson learned: Reroute your drain hoses!

Wasn't too deep until close to the opposite bank, got in a hole... water above float bowl... hydro lock! bog! stall! slow mo dump! So cheezy... :evil but we had Xago: first DS ride on a KLR, with us, so good opportunity to have him watch us do CPR on the bike: pull the plug and air filter, drain the carb bowl, turn her on a side to drain the carb/air box/jugs, dry the air filter, kick her a bunch of times.. yes kickstart only... reassemble... start her up.

I was just short of pouring fuel through the open plug hole, and lighting up to blow out any moisture.

The KLR in a mudhole was less dramatic. Magic button... till she started!

A group of 4 of us should be at the campsite by 2PM prior to the showers. I'm roughing it in a bivvy sac + hammock: nostaligic from years in the jungle.

Nice ride though Knoxville OHV to Reiff Rd. to Bartlett Springs Rd. Did you try Rd. 41 to CA-20? WOT! :nod

Anyone know if any of the trees are 15-20' apart to tie off a hammock? I try not to sleep on the ground if it rains... tents are for snow and high wind.