Mendo NF Rally 2012

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Jan 17, 2012.

1. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great weekend. Great people. Great riding.

Mucho thanks go to Dean, Cory, Marcia and many others for putting together a well organized weekend. The dodgy weather on Thursday was the precursor to some great riding for the remainder of the weekend.

Some great riding that ended at snow on M6... Tried heading up to Hull Mtn on Saturday pm - same story.

A few flats - some better luck than others in fixing them.

An uneventful journey home and much cleanup to be done...
  2. Capt.saveaho

Capt.saveaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rad trip!!! I'm going to try and get my video on here, some of it was pretty good. Thanks to everyone who made this happen, I'll be back next year.
  3. rrsteves

rrsteves Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ukiah, NorCal, Adventure riding is minutes away...
    Will report in length when I have access to a real computer. Typing into a smartphone is too much work. Thanks for a great ride to Joe, Bill, Luke, Young Joe, and Jeremy (oh young and oh so lucky Jeremy)
  4. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Great trip everyone !

Thanks so much to Dean, Cory and everyone else who helped put this on.

Great Weather, SO MUCH FOOD, Snacks Etc

The riding conditions on Saturday and Sunday were amazing. We were riding single track and had almost no dust.

Thanks also to Matt and Kelly also for a great route home. French Ridge was great !

We will post some pics later, my camera is at Mikes house.

here is our 577 mile track from Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=89083df6c6745499&resid=89083DF6C6745499!158&parid=root
  5. DaveBro

DaveBro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for a great weekend! Good to see old friends again, and great meeting some new ones.

It was wet when the beer wagon arrived (a little weighed down in the rear end).

[​IMG]

The Thursday bike lineup.

[​IMG]

Good times in camp despite the cool weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friday, what seemed like 80% of the group went on a ride intended to get to Stonyford. Here is the big bike subgroup.

[​IMG]

Little bikes took the connector up to 311.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweet views along the way.

[​IMG]

Looking back at the infamous stream crossing on 311 (I was too busy psyching up for the crossing to get pics of certain spectacular wipeouts...).

[​IMG]

But eventually we all got going again.

[​IMG]

Looking south from 311 at Snow Mountain Wilderness.

[​IMG]

After a mixup that delayed our regroup with the big bikes, and part of the group heading back to camp via M6, six of us continued south on M3 to try to connect to M10. This pic is shortly before we got turned back by snow.

[​IMG]

Saturday morning I took my and Dean's friend Tom out for a quick ride on the nearby OHV trails. They're surprisingly fun, and have great views of Lake Pillsbury.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday afternoon, Chris, Tony and I headed up Hull Mountain to where snow made the road impassable.

[​IMG]

Chris wanted to find a geocache that's up there, so we hoofed it for a bit.

[​IMG]

Looking for the cache...

[​IMG]

Found it!

[​IMG]

Tony and the never-ending quest for service.

[​IMG]

The ride up Hull Mountain is a lot of fun (water bars!), but it's worth going up just for the views.

[​IMG]

Sunday morning, some of us took a ride on trails 65 and 67. Was supposed to be a quick one, but I got a flat on 67.

[​IMG]

https://davebro.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Mendo-Rally-2012/22840170_X6v5g2/#!i=1833393799&k=96KWdcH&lb=1&s=A

Ultimately, we couldn't fix it (cluster of snafus) and I rode the rest of the trail and back to camp with a front flat - no harm done.

As usual, the best moments were not captured -- too busy riding and having fun!
    [​IMG]
  6. Moxiemoto

Moxiemoto Janet

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe, Good to know you got home ok. Dean and I checked around 9:30 and you weren't in yet, so we figured something might have gone awry. Sorry about the clutch, but glad you made it home ok - !!

--Janet
    SanGJan
  7. Capt.saveaho

Capt.saveaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a few videos uploaded this morning, just a little trail riding at penny pines.

This is my first shot at posting video so if someone knows how to do it better please let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post up more videos or maybe an edited one when I have more time (but I never have that much time:D).
  8. whutner

whutner Adventurerer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone! I had a great time!

Thanks to the Joe's, Steve, Bill and Luke for helping me pull my bike back up to the road and taking me along for the ride.
    [​IMG]
    looking up to the road where I went off.
    [​IMG]
  9. nwemerys

nwemerys Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a relative noob, I wanted to report back on the things I learned/observed at the Mendo gathering this past weekend. What a fun time and great group of folks. Thanks to all who worked hard to make it a special weekend. I hope everyone made it home safely.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    1. I haven’t camped since I was in the backyard as a kid 45 yrs ago. Arriving early for a primo site is important. Primo is inversely relative to outhouse proximity.
    <o:p></o:p>
    2. Choose your campsite neighbors wisely…snoring lakeside amplifies the resonance. No names but jeez…even the animals were afraid.
    3. Having to take a leak @ 2:00 AM when it’s really cold outside re-frames my definition of a “primo’ campsite. See # 1. The next night I kept an empty water bottle nearby.
    4. I thought a 530 was a big bike. It’s not. But I still liked hanging w/ the big bikes.
    5. Watching a Triumph Tiger maneuver through snow was “exciting”. As was a GS 650 w/ street tires sliding down a steep, rocky, loose gravel decline. Both can be done though. The ladies proved it.
    6. What happens on the trail stays on the trail. Mostly. Sorta. Until the campfire stories begin.
    7. Having tools is important. Having them with you on the ride is even more important. Apparently riding with willing ride-mates with tools is the most important. Those GS’s tires can be high maintenance…as can be their rider :D. Fun times.
    8. Bob brings more tools with him on his bike than I have tools in my garage. Thankfully. See # 6.
    9. A few bikes wouldn’t start on Friday morning and it was great to see folks pitch in and diagnose each of them. Lots of tools (see # 8) and talent; the resolve for one issue was tapping the CDI on the ground and blowing in the electrical connections. Really? I wonder if that would correct my Rekluse clutch issues.
    10. Packing For the trip is far more fun than packing to Leave the trip. What a great weekend. No real casualties unless you count my missing the famous slow roasted pork as one. And I do. Next year I’m staying a little longer; thanks again for all who made it happen.<o:p></o:p>
  10. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    So sorry I missed out on this. :cry
  11. cme4lyt

cme4lyt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A quick SHOUT OUT to those who once again made this a fantastic event: Dean, Dave, Cory and Marcia who do 99% of the heavy lifting so we can all have an absolute blast !! However, everyone pitches in in some way and that's what makes this gathering so cool.

Great seeing some old faces from last year and meeting new ones. If there's a list started for next year, put me down...

Thanks again....
  12. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great first post Jeremy and I'm very glad your incident only resulted in a good story. Hope you bought a lottery ticket when you got home, because you were one lucky guy that day. You had an epic slide down a hill/cliff. You didn't get hurt. Your bike was fine and it wasn't even that hard to extract the bike.
  13. Jerrykap

Jerrykap Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer:
    What a great weekend! My first ever ADV Mendo rally and it was a hoot.

I don't do smugmug so see my photo's here: www.mymotolife.shutterfly.com

Kudos to all who took the time, spent the money, did the work and shared in the fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

C-ya, Jer:norton
  14. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I can't see the pics. Can anyone else ?
  15. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Work for me. FYI, domain for his pics are postimage.org. Possibly blocked if you are at work?
  16. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Likewise...

In my defense, I was marking a waypoint on my GPS app...

I think the correct term (from Chris) was "Monkeys fucking a football"? :lol3

That's the truth... I'm waiting on Chris to upload that bit of video from that trail...
  17. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Thx
    I will check it when I get home
    Can you send me your track please
    Already sent you mine :)
  18. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"I can't see the pics. Can anyone else ? "

Red X's. At home so there aren't any blockages.
  19. DaveBro

DaveBro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Us too, Andy. You were missed!
  20. DowDuer

DowDuer !rn00b-aK

Oddometer:
    Tehama Co. California, gateway to Hwy 36!
    Hey Jeremy, I think your screen name ought to be "Lowside Lucky" or "Oopstheresacliff":eek1

The pictures worked for me but I had to open them in a new tab. The camera really doesn't capture the angle. I still can't believe you walked/rode away from that.

Anyway, fun weekend all around. Hope to see everyone again next year!