Mendo NF Rally 2012

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Rearsteer

Rearsteer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you get to the single track like you can from Stonyford? Or is it altogether a different trail system?
  2. mootsuno

mootsuno Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to have a plate or truck to the trails. The closest trails
    are about 5 minutes from the campsite. The more extensive trail
    system is about 20 minutes away.

Check out this site for nearby riding areas:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...=Mendocino+National+Forest+-+OHV+Trail+Riding

And to repeat what Cory said, we're not organizing any rides, just the campsite and food.

You can also pick up OHV maps at the ranger station, here's the address:

Upper Lake
    10025 Elk Mountain Road
    Upper Lake, California 95485
    707-275-2361

It's on the way in to Lake Pillsbury.

Rides are up to you and your friends.
  3. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me.

Chance for me to meet some new faces, AND, if I don't piss them off in the first five minutes :D, maybe tag along and go along for a ride, hopefully ending back where we started for some frosty beverages and food.
  4. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great time with fun people.

Count me in!

Mike Z
  5. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    I WILL be there... 100 miles of easy to the fest.... Look forward to a spring party, Will bring funness!:norton
  6. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Different trail systems further west & NW of the Stonyford area. One could make a loop or two that go to the Stonyford area & back from this camp, but its mostly forest roads that connect the areas. Scott, I'm sure we could layout some nice tracks to follow in the Middle Creek trail system. :wink:

Good info Dean.

I currently have a street-ride conflict with this weekend. :-( I'm hoping to resolve this issue in the next couple of weeks.

Catfish ...
  7. Rearsteer

Rearsteer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answer Mike, see ya soon!:lol3
  8. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    There is single track but not as much as stonyford. Or you can just ride to stonyford from the camp spot if you want. Thats what we did. It's dirt 90 percent of the way
  9. duitswes

duitswes NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer:
    In :freaky Again. Last year was great.
  10. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    Noob. Will be there. I hear you guys party! Love to ride, Love to party.... 126 miles from my house.
  11. Capt.saveaho

Capt.saveaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CC camp has plenty of single track, you are going to need a good amount of gas to go to stonyford, ride, and come back.
    But your more then welcome to do that.
  12. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Having not been to Mendo NF before, I'm mostly looking to ride and explore the area. I don't need to hit any overly tight or technical singletrack (the 650 is a bit of a heavy beast). Hopefully a few others would like to do the same. I'm glad to tag along on any ride that comes together.

Since Mendo NF is a big place (with lots of road and trail options) it would be great to have an idea of sample routes prior to the rally. If anyone has tracks of suggested loop routes from Pillsbury (that they have taken or plan on taking) I would love to see them.
  13. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    There is gas in stonyford.
  14. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hi r3r3r,

Here are a couple of loops I've done in years gone by on my overloaded-for-camping KLR ... the two loops make a figure 8 with Lake Pillsbury in the middle (at "G") ...

The top loop G, B, C is about 140 miles with gas at B in Covelo ... there is a fire lookout tower between Covelo and Alder Springs, but it may not be open in early May ... it's about 140 miles ...

[​IMG]

The next loop shows Lake Pillsbury, Bartlett Springs, Stonyford (gas) or G, E, F ... it's about 110 miles, so doing both in a day is about 250 miles ...

[​IMG]

There are a ton of easy fire roads (depending on how high the rivers are in the spring) ... I did these quickly with Google Maps "walking" ... they probably show M-1, M-5, and M-10 and Mendocino Pass (FH-7 from Covelo to Elk Creek (gas)) which kind of divides the Mendo NF into a north and south half ...

If the water was low enough I'd cross a river and head up towards Goat Mountain instead of the way shown between Bartlett Springs (E) and Stonyford (F) to avoid the blacktop along Logoda-Stonyford Road ... I'm sure someone who knows the area better will set me straight ...

There is another fire tower just south of Lake Pillsbury that is fun to find on a big bike that has a nice view of Clear Lake ...

They sell a great NF map for $10 or $14 bucks at the ranger stations that I find useful ... there is a ranger station in Upper Lake on the way up to Middle Creek and Lake Pillsbury if you were to go that way from San Francisco ...

Any how, just off the top of my head ...
    See you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
  15. Speed Racer

Speed Racer Falling is bad

Oddometer:
    Will be on my DR350 again. Worked great last year. Maybe I won't lose Joe this year. My bad.

As before, I will (probably) be driving a van w/the bike on a bumper hitch receiver or whatevertheycallit. So, I could (probably) bring some supplies, or if someone from Sacramento wants to hook their trailer on the back and buddy-up, that (probably) work, too.

In any case, let me know if I should bring some materiel w/me; e.g., firewood, beer, etc.

p.s. - This year, don't disappear, duitswes, until I get a chance to say "Hey".
  16. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Thanks, John. This is helpful. I bought the map and was checking on mapping sites. With so many routing options I couldn't figure out the best loops. I am starting to get a better idea of the possibilities.

17. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    I'm interested, might have a few others who want to go. Where's the sign up page??
  18. mootsuno

mootsuno Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We'll be using the first post to list the participants.
    Not ready to start the official sign ups yet, we're still
    working out a few things.

It looks like we're going to have a flat rate for the group
    camping site and a flat rate for food. Prices aren't determined
    yet but as of now we're estimating $20 for camping and $30
    for food. I think that should fit into everybody's budget.

We'll have more details in the upcoming weeks.
  19. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:

Saw your post in the Sacramento thread. I'm in east sac too, considering going on this ride.

Might be cool to carpool, if you are up for it.

I can also drive and haul 2 or 3 bikes/gear (Honda Ridgeline).

Pm me if interested. I need to block the weekend out and nail it down.

Cheers

Scott
  20. duitswes

duitswes NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we should say hey.

I might say hey at the DV end of March noob ride too. Maybe. Riding in with in with the Dakar to DV. For Mendo I will probably bring the 2 smoke.