Mendo NF Rally 2012

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Jan 17, 2012.

1. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the group from last year tripled..! How fun.
  2. barefootbob

barefootbob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you all had fun and had good weather, Pilsbury in May can be interesting with the thunder boomers that roll in the afternoon. I've been camping, riding and skiing that lake for over 20years, what's funny is I've only rode the trails and not the roads. After reading all the post now I can't wait to explore the roads. I hope next time I wont have other obligations. I saw a V-Strom in the group, was that a 1000 or 650? How did it do?
  3. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    There was the Vstrom with street tires, my Tiger 800 with TKC's and the second day a couple F800GS (one with street and one with knobby) and one BMW F650 with street....we all did just fine.
  4. barefootbob

barefootbob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, haven't taken my DL1000 off road yet, still need some up-grades before I do that beside's the bike is so clean and purdy, I know once I start taking it off road it will never be the same.
  5. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Not really. But I've learned a good lesson. I should have checked something... It was such and easy fix. All the well with the bike... Wasn't the bike...:clap
  6. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Thanks again! I'm gonna get the albums. That was really nice :freaky
  7. stuntcrazy

stuntcrazy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone!!
    it was a super fun ride!
    a short video compilation from my side- some audio sync issue exists which i will try to resolve soon.
    Enjoy!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GA8qj0sMSLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb
  9. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:

Wooo! :clap
    That was great!
    nice job, stuntcrazy - I know that was a lot of work (posting at 4am!)
    Looks like you and Erik found some good riding...:D

and you captured this! :rofl

[​IMG]

I was kicking myself for leaving the camera in my riding jacket. thanks!

bikyto, I sent you a PM about the music...
  10. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:

Glad you made it G-man(Gauntum?)! Well done great video!
  11. stuntcrazy

stuntcrazy Adventurer

Oddometer:

:) Yes after a busy week i finally got time to get my phone videos and gopro vds together with some pictures posted on this forum. Erik and I did some gnarly trails first day and next day was even better with Charlie and Grifin

i hope everyone watches it to the end :p there is a funny part after the music dies!

Am glad you guys liked it :)
    :freaky

-Gautam
  12. Capt.saveaho

Capt.saveaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the part of my video where I hit that puddle and get covered in water, then say "oh my god" that shit was cold!!!!
  13. GasDepot

GasDepot Sold the Cage

Oddometer:
    Mendo Rally 2012
    First has to be a big Thanks to Dean, Dave, Cory & Marcia for doing all the hard work that something like this takes to pull off. Well done.
    Hears my story and I&#8217;m sticking to it.
    I was able to hook up with Tony (BogeyMan)to transport my gear.
    Left the Bay Area @ 4pm hit a few rain showers no drama.
    Splitting Santa Rosa rush hour was reaffirming always a fun part of commuting.
    Refueled in Ukiah and it was 2 lane and dirt to camp.

[​IMG]

Pulled in as it got dark got my gear from Tony and I was out till morning.

[​IMG]
    Griffin&#8217;s bike had gremlins, Tony and Randal helping to heal the beast.

[​IMG]
    After everyone&#8217;s tricks were applied we got the suspect CDI(Black Box) to work in Randal XR.
    While everything was being put back where it should the first flat of the weekend was found

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charles and Tony showing Capt Upants tire what for

Off to ride
    Which way to go?
    [​IMG]
    Big bikes go up M6 to meet small bikes at the 311 crossing.
    I ended up going with the small bikes and ended up regretting it when a creek crossing hole bit me pretty hard.
    Straightened the forks on a tree at the next stop.
    After hitting M6 and meeting with the big bikes I decided to take M6 back to camp.

[​IMG]
    That&#8217;s the last of my pictures until Sat am
    Hanging at camp slowly getting going.

[​IMG]

Everyone left in small groups to avoid yesterdays cluster.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I wanted a mellow day so Pete and I went to the Pine Mtn lookout.
    A quick snap of the map and we were off
    [​IMG]
    After a few missteps we found the signs the pointed the way to the Pine mountain lookout/cabin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were able to make it into a loop ride.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a nice ride we were back at camp ready for Sat night

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sunday AM some folks got out for a ride before heading home.

[​IMG]

After talking to Mr Joe from SF we decided to head out via M1>M6>Clear Lake lookout> Upper Lake>Old Toll rd>Mountain House rd and home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While Joe packed his bike I cheated and dropped my gear with Tony for transport back.
    Thanks again Tony, riding unencumbered helped me to try and keep up with Joe on the dirt.

Deer Valley Campground
    [​IMG]
    Road up to lookout
    [​IMG]

View
    [​IMG]
    Video of view
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zfj-c_U8x2I?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

Getting ready to head down mountain
    [​IMG]

Hit the end of the dirt so time to air up and I saw the best group of wildflowers all weekend.
    [​IMG]

End of my pictures.
    Here is a link to all my Mendo 12 photos I have more pixels of alot of them PM if you want more.
    Thanks again to our hosts, Dean Cory Marcia and Dave.
    Thanks Tony for the gear transport made the ride up and back great.
    Thanks to every one who helped in camp and on the trail.
    Had a great ride back with Joe
    Until next time Rubber side down,

James
  14. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    That was a nice compilation of the weekend.... Thanks James! And once more thanks to everyone who made it happen. I look forward to next year!
  15. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
  16. Titus58

Titus58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The vstrom was me...DL1000 and we did grrreatt! Been learning to dirt ride on her since last summer, this was only my 2nd looong ride in MNF :thumbup. I "upgraded" from the crap OEM bridgestones to Shinko 705s - MUCH better in the dirt but still not real knobbies :lol3...were indeed some exciting moments both coming into camp on the slick mud, and riding the loose & damp sand on M6 & M10...but I hung on and didn't drop her :clap Definitely worth investing in the crash bars/skid plate etc if you're going to take a strom off-road...with the protection she crashes pretty well :wink:

You missed a great trip - hopefully you can join us next year. My first time to the Lake Pilsbury area and riding that portion of MNF...it was all awesome!...woulda stayed for days if I coulda :thumbup :thumbup

Tim
  17. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    Tim is being a bit modest. Tim was on his Wee-strom 1K and Nancy was on her Triumph Tiger 800. Both large bikes for some of the terrain we hit, from snow to BIG ruts to water crossings. They both handled those behemoths quite impressively!! There was once when I was behind Tim in the soft, rutted gravel when I was SURE he was going down but he held on with rubber down... (he didn't say anything then but he might have had to clean his shorts when we got back to camp):rofl They both made the crossing of Bear Creek look easy for being on the heavy bikes. I look forward to riding with our Friday group again soon, if not, next Mendo run for sure !!
  18. barefootbob

barefootbob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL vee is a 1000 and wee is a 650, I'm learning to speak Strom. I like the Tiger 800 found a good deal on new 2011 800xc demo but still hell of expensive. I got a great deal on my Strom and didn't have to go into dept to get it so i'm happy with that. I'm sure I'll be at Pilsbury a few times this year, I have a friend with a site in West Shore, I've always boat camped but don't have a boat anymore for safty reasons.:D
    Was going to ride 36,3,299 to Redding this weekend to viset my son but he has other plans so not sure where to ride, maybe I'll post on the local tread.
    I looked up the Shinko 705s tires, nice I'll be getting some of those when I need some tires. I hope to make the next Mendo Rally and I'm keeping a eye out for other group rides as well.
  19. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    Ah! Thanks fpr the correction, obviously I dont speak Strom but that makes sense.... always wondered why people used "wee-strom" I thought it was just a cute nickname...:rofl When you come up this way PM me and we can get together for a ride, I know some good stuff close.....
  20. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    Anybody interested in a ride out of Mt. Shasta? We are putting together a "State of Jefferson" rally for Aug. 24th thru the 26th, at Lake Siskiyou resort. If you might wanna come PM me or just look up the thread, Lake Siskiyou, CA ride. It will be a first but will be great !! Cory, hope you don't mind if I steal your in/out list idea...:clap