Mendo Rally 7 (2017)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Capt.saveaho

Capt.saveaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CRW called soda creek and they said the road is open from potter valley, I'm going for it Thursday.
  2. JSR

JSR Wish I was there.........

Oddometer:
    Capt are you 100% on that Intel Potter valley road is open?
  3. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That'd be great Joel!!
    See you soon.
    NSFW likes this.
  4. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    Negative! Elk Mt. from upper lake is only road open
    NSFW likes this.
  5. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the update Clarence. I was almost out the door and was going to try Potter Valley.
  6. JSR

JSR Wish I was there.........

Oddometer:
    Elk mountain it is....
  7. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    So, somebody wondered if it was possible to ride from Lake Pillsbury to Covelo (or over the top of Hull)... the answer is a resounding no.

Scattered snow drifts starting at about 5700' right now, and anything above 6000' is buried.

image1.JPG

Wells Cabin, by Anthony Peak. Those snow drifts are at least 8 feet deep. Elevation 6400'

image2.JPG
    image3.JPG
  8. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    so that's m1 right? I wonder about fh7 from stony.
  9. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    That is near M4...

M1, FH7.. they all go above 6000', so none of them are accessible right now.
  10. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This year's trip was too short but high on Adventure.

Got up Wednesday through Bear valley, Bartlett springs, Twin Valley and Elk mtn on the WR250R. Uneventful but beautiful riding.

I had to leave Friday for work on Sat so ran out French ridge/Bartlett Springs to Nice with Special Agent Nancy and Senior Peligro. After assisting Nancy and Andy's trailside tire repair, I figured I'd be good to go all the way home. It was cold and windy and I forgot my windbreaker AGAIN. Ride down Berryessa/Knoxville was uneventful and beautiful. Wildflowers were pungent and at 5pm, no one was on the road so I was rocking all the way to lake Berryessa. Stopped for a snack and noticed my rear tire felt soft. Sure enough I'd been running it at 10psi for a while. That explains why the bike felt like it was wallowing in the corners. It is usually rock solid and balanced at any angle and any road undulations. HAND PUMPS SUCK!

Back on the road I get all the way to Cordelia and notice again the rear tire felt squishy. Rolled into a gas station where Kanye was blastin some cheesy R&B while he was detailing his Bently. OK, it wasn't Kanye but he looked just like him...or maybe he just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

I grabbed a fix a flat can and mid repair I see the warning label...DO NOT USE ON HIGH PERFORMANCE Z-RATED TYRES OR MOTORCYCLE TIRES. Oops. Well we'll see how this goes.

Made it to Oracle arena and barely pulled off the freeway doing 70 with a tire that felt like I was drifting around the corners. I almost backed it in behind a cop car trying to pull off the offramp. They asked if I was ok?
    Me: Yes. Wife is bringing more Fix a Flat.
    Cop: Where do you live?
    Me: Three exits South
    Cop: Where are you coming from?
    Me: Clear Lake.
    Cop: You're not here for a sideshow are you?
    Me: No...not with all that shit on the bike!
    Cop: Lol, We'll post up here and finish some paperwork. It's not a nice area and we don't want you to get robbed.
    Me: It's ok, I've got body armor and a Bear Grylls Knife!
    Cop: Lol

Wife shows up with can of FAF. Valve stem is now gooed up from previous can of FAF. What little I can get in just makes a hissing sound I can hear in the rim. FCak! Now what to do. My truck has a shell. Neighbor is out of town so no trailer. No-one I know has a truck available. It's 8:00 pm and I've been riding since 9am and I'm Freexing and I just have 4miles to get home.

Wife posts up behind me with hazards on and I proceed to ride/limp bike to my friends house 3miles away. Luckily this is Oakland and there was some Police activity/gangster action on Hagenberger so all the OPD were busy with that and not the Mighty Morphin Power ranger riding a dirt covered bike with a compleeeetely flat tire.

I made it to my buddy's garage and Wife said shit was flying out of my tire the whole way. Rolled in the garage and my rim protector was now donning the ceremonial attire for Seppuku. I let it finish.

So there it is. Oh and I had a nail in the tire probably picked up along Berryessa Knoxville.

I was planning to ditch the tire anyway and put a new one on so not really a bummer there.

J
    r3r3r, focallength and soarseeker like this.
  11. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    Geeze John.....French Ridge, where you can pick up all kinds of stuff in your tires. Here was my puncture culprit.
    Big antler tip.

[​IMG]

Great time Dean. Thanks for all the great food and Janet hope you liked the fresh laid eggs and thanks for warming up my fajitas.
    Andy, you were a trooper with all the bike troubles. Hope you had fun Saturday and make it back better than both of us.
    Kenny, had a BLAST on your KLX again, thanks and sorry for the hooha and the hide and go seek Saturday morning.
    soarseeker, r3r3r and focallength like this.
  12. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    Dean and Janet thanks for another Great Rally it was good to see everybody after a two-year Hiatus for me and of course great riding the Super Sherpa survived the weekend!

Gerry
    soarseeker and focallength like this.
  13. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    My Brother, Buddy, & I all made it home yesterday from a awesome week camping at Pillsbury with no more tire or mechanical issues. A big thanks to Dean, Janet, and everyone else who lent their hand in putting on the Rally. As usual, the food & beer were awesome and the weather was beautiful other than the wind but at least there was no rain.

Spent most of today researching smaller Dual-Sports. Hope to pickup a Suzuki DR350SE or similar so that I can attend the next Rally and get out and ride without worrying about thrashing my Weestrom :ricky
    focallength and soarseeker like this.
  14. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    Some lake/fishing/buddy pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, your whole story is so funny. Thanks for sharing and glad you made it back home safe.
  16. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    The Super Secret Swimming Hole

[​IMG]
  17. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Another fantastic rally in Mendo.

Thanks Dean, Janet, and everyone who attended. Fun times, good eats, and cold windy nights with friends by the fire.

Long wet winter and closed roads be damned - we still had an awesome time.

Here are a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/30750052@N05/9YwtyD
  18. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huge thanks to Dean and everyone else who made this event awesome. My hat is off to you.

It's always cool catching up with all of you who attend.
  19. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did any of you leave this behind in the Upper Village?

20170507_192644.jpg
  20. mramosc

mramosc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ONE pound steaks! can't forget the one pound steaks!!!

IMG_5943.JPG IMG_5957.JPG IMG_5969.JPG IMG_5984.JPG
    Bike Guy, focallength, NSFW and 2 others like this.