Mendo Rally 8 (2018)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Moxiemoto

Moxiemoto Janet

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone - thanks so much for all the thanks - it was a great year for us too! I personally wanted to thank you all the cooks (Mike, John, Sharon in particular) and clean up folks (Brian, Sharon and Kenny among you). Thanks to Kenny to sending us a little extra $$ (we were a little under this year and have plans to solve that in the pricing for next year's rally--don't worry, it likely won't go up, we will just ask for a contingency in case of low turnout). I think someone else gave me a little cash, sorry I can't remember who. Big thanks to Kevin for getting a) the beer (thanks John too!) and b) me onto those blue trails for the first time!!! I ended up with an infected hematoma (!!) and IT WAS SO WORTH IT (even though it took me a long time to convince the ED staff it was from off-road motorcycling in the forest, not just old lady issues, lol)!

I have some more fun pix to upload. Will get to that asap.

Love and kisses! Janet (SanGJan)
    ripter, Kenny M., BogeyMan and 3 others like this.
  2. Moxiemoto

Moxiemoto Janet

Oddometer:
    Hi Weebee, we missed you! The lake was in great shape...as full as I've seen it. Lots of logs and stuff floating on the surface, but it didn't stop the 2 stroke jet ski boys at 6 am. Hope you guys are good. Give Buddy a kiss for me and Luc.
    WeeBee and soarseeker like this.
  3. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jan - Buddy says Woof! Looks like we're heading up there Tuesday afternoon & camping out at Oak Flat for 5-6 days. Steve and I have new bolt-action .308 rifles we need to sight-in/test out and of course we'll be shooting a bunch of clays with the shotguns.

If anyone is up that way for a ride, stop by & say Hey. We'll be driving a white/blue 89 Bronco and a brown 96 Chevy ext. cab longbed 4x4 with shell. Will have tools, air compressor, etc. if needed. Will have my Brother's 15' aluminum boat so will either be putting around the lake, shooting on the strip, or hanging out in camp.
  4. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    Hate to say it but it's looking like the Ranch Fire is heading towards the Lake Pillsbury area. It has burned from Potter Valley/Upper Lake over halfway to Pillsbury and doesn't look like it's slowing down. Temps for that area are forecast to rise into the mid to upper 90's by next week so things aren't looking good for the Firefighting effort. It also appears that the River Fire has burnt through the entire South Cow Mountain OHV Area. :(

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1JMMkuSEF8s39rvkPGitOdkghfEwR8ZdX&ll=39.05284806634767,-122.64490083835449&z=9
  5. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pillsbury, Hull Mountain, the whole area is under evacuation. No paved roads out there. Going to be bad.
  6. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    it won't get to pilsbury
  7. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have Elk Creek on stand by for an Evacuation. So I'm not sure, Pillsbury and Hull Mountain went into Evacuation orders yesterday. Announced on National radio Stations. It will go where the wind blows, But looks like lower Mendo is toast.
  8. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fire is growing more to the East over North. It turns into grassland and farms towards the east so it should get easier to fight.

Mendo Rally and the Sheetiron will be much different next year.
  9. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cow Mtn & Middle Creek OHV areas have burned, and its heading towards Goat Mtn & Stonyford OHV areas. :-(

FVCK these fires!!!

Catfish ...
    Seansyota likes this.
  10. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    looks like its' just about to hit lovelady ridge and little stony....and it's also almost at Letts lake....
  11. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Biggest wildfire in California history.
  12. TTTom

TTTom some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    only 3-4 miles away now

I can't see anything that'll stop the fire moving north until the weather changes. rough terrain and bone dry conditions
  13. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    the force, luke. less red dots today on the map, it's slowin down, we got this.
  14. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping the river will provide enough of a fire break to keep it from continuing north. They may have a hell of a time in the Snow Mountain wilderness since there's no roads there.
  15. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty sad. Pine Mountain Lookout is gone.
  16. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    God damn it. These fires are insane.
  17. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    I've been over that hill dozens of times and never made it to that lookout, dammit!!!!
  18. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe by some odd chance they dumped retardant on it but with actual houses nearby, I can't imagine they would waste resources on such a small structure. Yesterday all I saw was satalite hot spots on it. Today, the fire perimeter map goes right over it.

I stopped by during the Mendo Rally but it was occupied so we didn't go past the gate. Two weeks later we stopped by during our Sheetiron shortcut, went past the gate and quickly realized it was once again occupied.

It was a beautiful spot to chill and grab some cell signal while camping.
  19. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Good news. It survived. They wrapped it reflective material.

[​IMG]
    soarseeker, Cabrito, catfish and 2 others like this.
  20. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah!!!!!!

Even the trees don't look so bad.