Mendo Rally 8 (2018)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Feb 1, 2018.

1. chrisBTSC

chrisBTSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They did a controlled burn around the lookout area to burn out the fuels as the fire approached to save the structure. That's why on the fire maps it shows as being burned before the actual fire got there.

[​IMG]
    gofargogo, cobra46 and joefromsf like this.
  2. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about that. It makes perfect sense now.
  3. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So when the main fire gets there will it torch the tops of the trees and save the building? I'm sure there will be less heat than having the tops and underbrush burning at the same time had they not lit back fires.
  4. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    that looks cool,thanks for the pics guys, i'm definitely going to stop and check it out next time.
  5. TTTom

TTTom some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    With the grass and underbrush gone, unless there's a huge wind/firestorm those trees won't burn at all.

Over the weekend the fire took the southern half of Lake Pillsbury and the Snow Mountain Wilderness & it's still moving north.
  6. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll be interesting to see if the campgrounds at Pillsbury will be open next year.
    Even if they are riding may be limited to the areas north of the lake.
    Looks like we may have to have a year or two hiatus for the rally.

Recon rides will be a definite must next year.

And, even if Soda Creek store survives the fire I don't know if they can
    survive the lack of business. Let's cross our fingers for them.
    VuTron, catfish and Bike Guy like this.
  7. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    it's fucked, 17 days fightin a fire and it's still raging out of control. I sure hope they don't spend a lot of resources trying to save Catburger.
  8. chrisBTSC

chrisBTSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So let me get this straight. Because you have a personal beef with the soda creek store you feel they don’t deserve to be saved? Get the fuck out of here.
    Hop-Sing, BogeyMan, gofargogo and 2 others like this.
  9. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    I will not get the fuck out of here and relax, I jest. I own property in the area, nobody wants the fire put out more than I do.

"personal beef" is a little strong, it's not a secret that they have cats runnin round their kitchen and it smells like cat piss in there....(but I digress)
  10. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right, it does smell like cat piss in there and I would never eat unsealed food from there but they do provide a valuable service to those in the area. They have gas, ice, beer and other items one may need. Not to mention we buy firewood from them. Also lets not forget about their free WiFi.
    Chaostrophy, DTSB and catfish like this.
  11. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
  12. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    Hop-Sing and gofargogo like this.
  13. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    Live map is looking like the extensive backfiring by Firefighters is hopefully working to contain the fires spread. There appears to have been no advance in the burn area on the northeast side of the lake nor towards Hull Mtn.

I worked for CDF/CalFire as a seasonal FF back in the early 80's and can remember talking to one of my Fire Captains about how firefighting methodology had changed over the years. He stated that it wasn't going to be a good thing how CDF and the FS were jumping on fires to try to limit size and acres burned. He said that doctrine would allow massive growth/accumulation of unburned fuel down the road and lead to catastrophic fires in the future. Well, the future is here...
    Chaostrophy and waylongway like this.
  14. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    Well, the cooler weather combined with aggressive backfiring by fire crews is letting them get this mess under control. Containment has jumped from 67% 24 hours ago to 90%. I would think Elk Mountain Road to Pillsbury from Upper Lake wont be accessible for some time being it was totally burned over.

Thanks go out to all the Firefighters, both on the ground and in the air! By stopping the fire at the Eel River, they saved most of the summer homes on the west side of the lake, Soda Creek Store, all the campgrounds, and Hull Mountain.
    soarseeker, Hop-Sing, cobra46 and 4 others like this.
  15. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    The Ranch Fire is 96% contained and USFS has taken control of remaining firefighting and mop-up. Looks like the Sheetiron 300 will be a vastly different experience if it happens at all this next year.
  16. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    FYI - The entire Cow Mountain area, North and South, including the Rifle Range are closed to entry/use indefinitely according to BLM in Ukiah.

Also, the USFS in Upper Lake states that the entire Lake Pillsbury Basin Area is closed indefinitely to Camping, Boating, and Target Shooting. Deer Hunting and dispersed camping while hunting in the Basin and surrounding area is allowed but no open fires and one must have a permit to operate gas stoves, lanterns etc.
  17. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heading down that way tomorrow.....See what we can see.... :eyes
  18. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    Bro and I were going to go shooting at the landing strip but FS told us no go. Be careful if you go as Nick at Soda Creek Store said $80 tickets are being given to folks if caught in restricted areas.
  19. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    No. will we come down 306...Hull rd... Alder Springs Maybe..?Bear Valley to 20.....? Leesville Rd.. see how the day goes...
  20. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    Well, be careful. The FS does not want any unauthorized persons both in and around the Burn area. I would stop and talk to the first FS personnel you encounter to clarify so you don't get a unwanted $80 surprise.
    waylongway likes this.