Mesh and rain

Discussion in 'Americas' started by coloradomotorrad, Sep 7, 2020.

1. coloradomotorrad

coloradomotorrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About to take off from Florida. Headed to CO then the west coast then back to NE...

Should I just wear my Waterproof gear and sweat really bad? Or should I wear the mesh gear and sweat bad and carry the rain gear?

It’s all Klim. Both sets hi-vis.

Thoughts?

Thanks
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't wear mesh this time of year up North. Likely to get chilly.
    talcon likes this.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    3-6” of snow and 39* forecast for Tue in DEN
  4. vfroger

vfroger Not lost, just misguided

Oddometer:
    I know this sounds simplistic, but it's what I do. I stuff the "other" set of gear into a duffle bag, lash it to the bike, and wear what's appropriate for the day. You can add your electric vest and a cover into the duffle bag which should allow for almost any situation and protect your bike at night. Either way you're going to sweat, but will be marginally more comfortable in the mesh when temps get to triple digits.
    akaDigger likes this.
  5. coloradomotorrad

Oddometer:
    That’s what I was planning. Although I thought the use of that space may be better used with other gear.

I guess I be sweating a few lbs off..
    Reddog* likes this.
  6. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too almost always take both. Also take heated jacket liner and three pair of gloves, mesh, my favorite all weather and heated. Good for 120° down to just below freezing. All this goes into the small duffel strapped to the seat. The not in use pants and jacket get rolled up and cinched with a strap. It's just what I do.
  7. ArrinD

ArrinD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mesh anx Frog Toggs to put over if needed. That combo has never let me down.
    Cal likes this.
  8. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    I know its gonna rain sometime,on a trip that size..mesh is cooler in heat than no jacket..definitely a soft Columbia fleece..wintergloves for warmth/
    bring 2 pr in case of wet{ask me how i know) ..if your bike is lookin like a pack mule,you dont need multiples of something like all yer clothes or
    something you can buy on the way.
    gamechangers for me was okcomfy motoboots for ridin and hangin cheapchina "crocs" (secure w/paracord) on my turnsignals, and wearing
    a empty backpak/bookbag for just in case? or sightseein/lookin cool,ADV rules!
    oh, and bring enuf $$.

Ride Safe
    Sully
  9. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must agree with akaDigger.

My thoughts : Don’t obsess about “ sweating bad” -perspiring is natural and normal , utilize it and appreciate it . Motorcycle riding cannot be done in a climate controlled office cubicle while smelling of cologne . If you do begin to stink ( or know it !:devildog )it is a sign that you should have bathed more often. A benefit of the stink might be to improve social distancing and lessen the risk of getting covidised :umph ...............:rofl

Your question illustrates the problem introduced by buying an expensive riding suit ; one may feel committed or trapped into using it all the time everywhere, whether appropriate or not and/ or that certain colours must be properly coordinated and high status trademark logos ought to be prominently displayed . I have seen many riders sweltering all trussed up in such suits ( often black) riding in hot weather , their heads red like a thermometer held to a flame and ready to pop its top.

I say Go with whatever you have, multi- use , garments , then layer and alternate and MIX AND MATCH .

I have only a mesh Joe Rocket jacket (low status) , leather jackets plus jeans and roomy nylon waterproof bike-purpose over-trousers , a supply of clothes and two piece rain suits that go over anything .
    The mesh jacket can do duty in every case of rideable weather you will encounter from cold to warm to blazing hot . For really torrid riding I add an underlayer long sleeved shirt as hot-wind barrier or water soaked fleece sweatshirt for cooling if needed.

You do not want to totally block all air flow but only reduce it to the point where your sweat evaporation rate is at the naturally useful level for taking away excess body heat .Have a shower daily after the ride to clean the accumulated salts and road fume sediment off your skin.

In cool weather the mesh jacket plus under layers works to keep me warm , or only with a nylon outer shell to keep cold air from reaching my hide .

My JR mesh jacket comes with a removable thin inner “ rain liner “ that is water and wind resistant but has the problem of retaining too much transpired moisture and it can get clammy. An outer shell works better by giving more volume to the slowly exchanging inner air layer between my skin and that barrier.

In cold weather add under layers ( sweater, fleece or heated if you have) PLUS a wind breaking AND waterproof outer shell.Ditto for pants.

For the hands bring gloves , no more than a pair and a spare set , waterproof and heated would be nice but I use protective waterproof over mitts and handlebar heaters.

For freezing weather or cold mountain mornings I bring snowmobile mitts which prevent individual digits from getting too cold.

With this approach I am not wasting luggage space with clothing that I will not use.

All of it takes up less room than one jacket with armour inserts.

As to the “ Frog Toggs” from what I have experience with I would not recommend them if you expect them to last very long . They are handy and light if you carry the set for a RARE emergency use . They may feel substantial when new but the “ starch” soon fades . Being made of a non- woven synthetic with welded seems ( similar to a single-use disposable haz-mat coverall) they are flimsy and will easily rip after several uses, the constant blowing around , flapping and rippling in the air stream fatigues and stretches the fabric limiting its water-proof claim . That ripping usually will happen as you hastily try to don them at roadside as the downpour begins.

Mid September and north IS getting late into the season and early snow is predicted for Wyoming and Colorado today ( 8 Sept). Keep an eye on the weather news and stay away from that stuff. Icy roads are no place for a motorcycle . With a handle like coloradomotorrad one might expect you to have some experience on these weather aspects , or is that simply an “ aspirational” nom de plume?
  10. wagley

wagley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I say stick with mesh for protection layer and get inner and outer layers that make it more versatile.

I use the following layering system now pretty much regardless of where I am going.

Klim Induction Jacket
    BMW Rain Lock waterproof jacket
    Warm n Safe waterproof heated liner

L/S Synthetic T shirt
    Klim Latitude Pants

feel like I can go pretty much anywhere with that set up.

I have Klim Carlsbad and BMW Rallye Jackets that pretty much hang in my closet after putting that combo together.
  11. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coloradomotorrad , how is your ride going ? Started ?
    Hope you got out of Florida without running into hurricane Sally.

Please let us know how your garment selections are working out, help other newlings who may have similar concerns . Don’t leave them hanging in suspense by never coming back to the post after piquing our curiosities .

“Sweating off a few pounds” for athletes in competition is not uncommon but that is just water, don’t expect to achieve a permanent weight loss from perspiring. After the game the athletes drink and the “ lost ” weight is restored .

Besides , looking at today’s weather maps for instance , there do not appear to be any sweat inducing temperatures across Colorado and most of the path you could be taking.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    We have gone mesh and rain gear on top. If it's warm enough just mesh....if it gets cold enough don the rain jacket. If it gets colder don the rain pants. Layers for underneath mesh....OR...heated jacket under the mesh...now that is nice with a rain jacket over the mesh....actually can get too hot even in cold weather.
  13. coloradomotorrad

Oddometer:
    Im currently still on the road.

I took off wearing the badlands. It was very hot up from Florida across Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas. Was cooler into New Mexico and Colorado.

I appreciated the gear over a couple passes in Colorado. Grip heat was nice too... dropped down into Arizona to see some family and had the mesh gear sent to me.

I’m alternating now. The badlands was nice along the coast of Northern California, Oregon and Washington.

Slowly making my way back east now.

IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    I IMG_0219.jpg
    DO01000316.jpg
    DO01000265.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
  14. coloradomotorrad

Oddometer:
    Every turnout along the coast is beautiful. I had to make myself keep riding and not stop at everyone

IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg