Metamorphosis: Ugly Goose into Eagle of Zeus

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by sakurama, Apr 24, 2014.

1. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    Wow, that was a blast from the past. Thanks for posting that!

Gregor
  2. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was one of the best RR ever!

With a bonus for you :lol3.

Not sure if you are into bike shows but this looks like a good one,

https://vintagemotorcyclefestival.com/

taking my 2 up next month for fun.

lot closer for you.
  3. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Hey there Gregor -- late to the party. Looks like it will be another excellent build.
  4. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Great thread for ride, photos and knowledge! Hope to be up there next summer. :evil
  5. sakurama

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to make it to the Washington vintage meet for a few years now and it's always around the peak of Christmas rush for me - my clients are shooting their Christmas projects then so I'm inevitably working then - as I will be this year as well.

Hi Al.

Gregor
  6. sakurama

Oddometer:
    So after a week in NYC and some work on my KTM and then the 4th and a week of friends my appointment to have the seat done by Beaverton Auto Upholstry came up today. I had them do my MV Agusta Brutale seat a few years ago and Shelby, the guy who did it, did a great job. So of course I'd go back.

[​IMG]

I showed him my mock up and he sketched out some other ideas as well. The foam was sort of high to help get the seat to peg distance more comfortable so he offered a plan to do an insert that would help break that up. I liked it.

Rather than offer a blow by blow I'm just going to let the photos do the talking. Check out the tattoo on his left arm. Nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He did a great job but I think my pan was a bit weak. I'm going to work on the base to even things out but I really love the look of the seat and it was a good idea to ride it for a while to know I liked the shape.

[​IMG]

I should work on the house tomorrow but my head isn't in it and I want to do the pipes so I may just take the time to do that.

Gregor
  7. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    Jaysus, that's gorgeous!
  8. MayorOfBBQ

MayorOfBBQ Come at me bro

Oddometer:
    Loving this one Gregor
    ...and the mcm house/garage thread
    ...and the km thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Nostaw

Nostaw n00b

Oddometer:
    Love that seat. The style suits so well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. No0onE

No0onE n00b

Oddometer:
    Gregor, I'm a huge fan of your work. Your 2wd build is what turned me onto this site.

I love what you're doing with this Guzi, the only recommendation I would make is stainless hard line for fuel, oil, anything that's hard mounted and SS flex line for anything that needs movement.
  11. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those Bosch diode boards and voltage regulators are sure err... "functional" aren't they.
    Or is that just me?
    Nice seat though.
  12. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliments guys! I love the seat and it's comfy too.

Right now I'm debating calling the tank shop for some of their alloy side panels or fitting a set from an 850 T3 for the time being. Or ignoring it until I do the harness and relocate everything under the seat and open that whole area up. Or making my own...

Okay, that sounds really cool. Where do I source that sort of thing? Can you make it yourself? I once tried the braided cover on fuel lines and it struck me as looking like plastic slip covers on a couch. After that I went clear so I can see if fuel is flowing. I'm open though.

Started work on the exhaust...

Gregor
  13. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The side panels are always a bit of a dilema. The Cali 3 ones cut down looked surprisingly good.
    Someone is making repro V7 sport ones which also look cool.
    Or you'll probably make your own.

I have all stainless brake lines. Apart from the pain of bleeding the linked system (you get used to it, and it works fine, just give it time) I didn't notice any improvement, apart from a lighter wallet.
    The oil breather lines were made from some hydraulic stuff at work. A chunk of shrink wrap before you cut and another over the top when done looked ok.
    I'm with you on the see through fuel line. There's that stuff with the spring inside to stop it kinking. My original carbs came with plastic rubbish precracked carb body fittings for the fuel lines. Any strain and they break straight off. Metal ones are available if necessary.
  14. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Hose Material

I used some for the first time when I did my quick drain for the 990 oil tank. Really easy to work with, provided you have a high speed dremel or an extremely sharp bandsaw. Doesn't take to kindly to giant side cutters or anything that crushes to cut.
  15. sakurama

Oddometer:
    I actually have a drawer full of misc Earl's fittings and hose but I'm not sure if I have the right stuff for the Guzzi. I don't think I'll address that until I do the frame mod and the engine comes out. Remember - these are just temporary things I'm doing to get the bike going for the summer.

So onto the "temporary" exhaust. :evil

[​IMG]

I had box full of mandrel bends leftover from my KTM exhaust and for this project I want to just have a simple and straightforward 2 into 2 that exits short of the rear hub. Simple but I want to use it as an excercise in my stainless fab technique.

[​IMG]

I decide on a tight bend out of the head and then chose a gentler one for the return on the lower rail so that it "matches" the frame's curve. I'm then going to tuck the header just under the frame rail and use it to visually block the side stand and center stand/rear engine mount. The frame rail and the header will create a pair of strong lines leading back.

[​IMG]

Next up was to turn the various parts needed for the exhaust like the clamps, the spigot that the header is welded to and the flange that will terminate into the muffler.

[​IMG]

For this exhaust I'm taking a page from my friend Sean's book (Vertigo Cycles) and brushing all the tubing for a finished look. I actually love the look of the raw tube but I want to try something new and the level of finish in hand made bicycles rivals anything in the moto world so I'm going to work on that.

Gregor
  16. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    It's like magic: if you're a gearhead for long enough, you will eventually get a drawer/box/bin full of Earl's fittings, and none of them will be right for your project.

If, miraculously, there ARE fittings which work, there won't be enough, and the ones you have are faded and crappy looking, so you buy all new ones anyway.

I really enjoy your exhaust work. The KTM pipes were gorgeous. I've spent quite a bit of time building stainless exhausts, and while they are functional, I'm rarely satisfied with the cosmetics. One of my big epiphanies about SS is to weld slower/colder. It works so much better with fewer amps.

I was applying mild-steel thinking... "turn it up until you blow holes in it, then back down a bit." My new stainless thinking is "turn it down until it won't make a puddle, then turn it up a bit."

That, and black-hole fit ups: so tight, light won't pass through.

Any tips you care to share would be appreciated.
  17. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
  18. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    You mentioned this to me once at pyramid I think, and it didn't sink in. . . . We should talk about having you build me something for my KTM 640 sometime- not many aftermarket options out there, and it would benefit from better flow.
  19. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    Slack, Check your PM.
  20. VertigoCycles

VertigoCycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, that's going to look amazing!

I have some new cups that make it easier to keep it clean (but they flow a ton of argon $$) If you want to borrow one, let me know.