Metamorphosis: Ugly Goose into Eagle of Zeus

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by sakurama, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Gas lens?
  2. jimmyx

jimmyx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mad skills Gregor ! I'll say no more.
  3. VertigoCycles

VertigoCycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:

A custom one with more coverage and a smoother flow than a #12 cup and a large lens
  4. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    Al you're on the right track with stainless. About the only other tip I can offer is to back purge the pipes with argon if you're not and then to make use of the pulse. I found that about 1.5 pulses per second was a nice rhythm for me but if you're feeding wire you'll want to adjust it to your pace. And as Sean mentions you'll certainly want a nice gas lens. I'd tried the big glass one but found it was difficult to get into tight spots and have been using a #8 with pretty good luck. I'd like to check yours out Sean but I'm not sure I'll need as much coverage for the stainless as you do with the titanium. But I'm trying to match your finish! I've been looking at your recent instagram shots and the bead is TIGHT! As in Phat! That's not cool anymore right?

I haven't welded in a while so I'm a bit nervous to start and have been swamped with work so I'm not going to get to for a bit more time either. Looking forward to it though.

Gregor

PS Al, that's funny about Earls fittings! So true!!!
  5. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    I have never committed the funds to getting back purge set up, although I did recently buy a second bottle of argon.

I've been a Solar Flux user, and that improved the results from "un-possible to weld stainless" to "meh, not so bad". I also tried a gas lens (can't recall the number), and like you, found it cumbersome to use in tight spaces. Maybe I'll spring for another regulator, or look for one on Craig's List.
  6. VertigoCycles

Oddometer:
    Take this with a grain of salt since I've haven't done an exhaust yet but you shouldn't have to spend a lot of money to do a proper back purge on an exhaust system if you're doing a one-off. Some foil and a little tubing for your secondary line ought to get it done. If you have a lathe and want to go nuts, you could turn some tapered plugs to fit into the end of your pipes.

about $15 and a "Y" connector on your tank with a simple thumbscrew valve would be enough to get argon into your pipes. Turn it up just enough so you can feel the flow on your lips (like searching for a hole on a flatted tube.)
    Save some time by cracking the valve a bit to fill your pipes and then go back down to a minimal flow...just enough to keep positive pressure. You don't want gas coming out of your joint as it will create an eddy that will screw up your weld by pulling atmosphere into it.

It would only cost about $15 in argon at 7CFH if it took you 12 hours to weld the exhaust and I imagine it would take a lot less time.

Gregor, I'm always amazed as how much you can get done with so many responsibilities pulling you in different directions. All of your threads here and on GJ are very enjoyable and humbling to read. Thanks for the inspiration. If you're willing to share the source of your energy, I promise to make good use of it.
  7. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Well I have no energy. That's a big part of it. And I don't feel I get much done either. The GJ thread is nice as I get kudos there which helps maintain enthusiasm. At home I mostly get flak at how slow it's going. For me the bike and working on it is like a "break" or a rest. Sometimes I'll sneak into the garage for an hour just to clear my head - especially if I can get the kids to nap. I actually get energy from that.

Oh, and caffeine. Good coffee goes a long way.

Al, Sean's advice is spot on. I didn't bother with a second regulator - I just split the argon after the reg and used the knob of the splitter to dial the argon. Once the tube is filled you barely need any more in there - just enough to keep it filled.

Gregor
  8. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclist had a little blurb on Miguel Galluzzi and this picture was part of the spread. Made me think of your bike. Good luck.

[​IMG]
  9. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    The big pic behind him is the new V7 Racer. I had a few days with it for CityBike. It was quite pleasant, and I got a metric shit-ton of very positive feedback from "ordinary citizens" -- everyone wanted to know how old it was. That tank is a beautiful thing.

Thanks for the back-purge advice -- I'll have to give it a go. "T" fitting, here I come. Good time to do it, too... I recently purchased an Oitiker clamp tool and variety box of bands.
  10. sakurama

Oddometer:
    So I'm about to start work on a shoot that will take some time so I wanted to try to squeeze some time in while the kids were playing nicely. I went to cut one of my tubes with the portable bandsaw and completely screwed the pooch. The blade started to drift and instead of stopping I got frustrated and just let it go. Bad.

[​IMG]

Then I vowed to not screw up anymore and to take the time to be careful. So I dug around in the tool chests until I found the exhaust tube clamp I made for the cold saw when I was building the KTM exhaust. I just had the blade sharpened and I built a new nozzle for the coolant so the cut was like a hot knife through butter.

[​IMG]

Then I got a few tubes tacked and was positioning the last tube when I got the call that it was my turn to watch the kids for the evening. From stainless to lego I just keep on building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want so much to hear this but I have a ways to go and not much time to get there. Hopefully when I'm back I can sneak a day and finish it. So far though I like the way it looks albeit fairly traditional. For now I'm fine with it.

Gregor
  11. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/h_-3k5U2gqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    Soooooooo... wanna build me an exhaust? :evil
  13. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Oh you bet. Let me check my calendar and... hmm, it looks like I have time right after I finish the house and the other four bikes I have to build so... umm, maybe Thursday...

[​IMG]

Sorry. That's my favorite New Yorker cartoon ever and I couldn't resist the chance to use it! :lol3

I would love the opportunity to make bespoke parts and bikes but it's certainly not in my immediate future.

Gregor
  14. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    In my next life I hope to reach Sakurama level.

:d

Master. Great work.
  15. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Ha, no master that's for sure. I am certainly trying hard though.

So something I've been curious about for ages was a dedicated tungsten sharpener. I watch them on ebay but they tend to be pretty pricey so I never got one. Until a few months back I found one that was super cheap and while not the best one I figured for the money it would at least eliminate grinding on the wheel and I won it for less than the cost of a diamond wheel for my grinder.

[​IMG]

It is, for all intents and purposes, a dremel with an angle jig screwed on and a tiny, thin diamond wheel inside. You can use your fingers to spin the tungsten but I'm so lazy I use a drill. Okay, the drill saves you from accidentally flatting a side while your fingers stall. It also greatly speeds the process.

[​IMG]

For all eternity, or as long as I've been welding, I've heard that you want the grind marks to follow the point to help guide the arc. This does the opposite. But it does it with a very fine diamond so the surface is very smooth and the point very fine. Finer than I've ever gotten by hand. The arc is tight and focused and doesn't wander so I'm a convert.

[​IMG]

I weld the spigots on the inside so the outside stays clean and crisp. This is my second one which shows I got my rhythm back while the first isn't quite so pretty. I broke my argon splitter so I couldn't do any actual welding with out purge but these parts are thick enough to not need back purge.

[​IMG]

Another thing I did with the welder is weld on some nuts to the stubborn studs that wouldn't come out with the old double nut stacking method. Welding a nut is a double whammy - it super heats the stud breaking it loose and then gives you a solid nut to ratchet out the stud with. A mechanical win-win.

[​IMG]

The second pipe is much harder than the first as you have to match the first with the second. The jugs are off set so the pipes are actually different lengths. No! Not those jugs - oh, get your mind out of the gutter... Sheesh!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got to fabricate the mounts for the mufflers so that will be my opportunity to lock in the exact right placement as there's still a little movement. All I need to do now is get my back purge set up and finish welding them. And the brackets. Not sure what I'm going to do for that. I would like to make a slick mount but I'm not sure what that is yet...

Gregor
  16. Mr. Vintage

Mr. Vintage Family Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks super sharp! I need a TIG... Or a mill... Or both.
  17. VertigoCycles

Oddometer:
    Looking really good.

I have a splitter that's never going to get used again in my shop. If you want use it indefinitely, let me know. I just got my Renazco seat on Saturday and have been looking for a reason to get out for a short ride. Delivering a tool across the river seems as good a reason as any.
  18. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Do Guzzi's use crossover tubes?
  19. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    I spent 7 years in college, and have the associated debt. Never works great for me! :rofl
  20. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Sometimes yes. BMW's of the era also did and it's my understanding (which will most likely be corrected) that they are almost entirely about sound and not performance. You'll notice there's never one on a race bike.

So while I've dyno tuned my last pipe that I built for the KTM I haven't run this bike and perhaps I should before I sell the pipe. Like the KTM I built the pipe closely approximating the standard lengths and diameters used and not with the intention of finding the absolute performance - something I'd like to try with the next version.

Sean, thanks for the offer of the splitter - I'll be taking you up on that. Check your email.

Gregor