Metz Tourance worries

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Beeming, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Gday all,

I'm on a around Aus trip, the long way and after being stranded in Darwin NT Aus for a week waiting for tyres I travelled along the Gulf tacks and trails to Cairns. Problem I have with Tourance tyres persist. The brand new front tyre has blisted/bubbled in two places already!
    In only 400 klm's too :-/ I was not going to use Tourance again but got stuck with them as my useless dealer said thats all they had and they were the last ones at that so beggars cant be choosers so I took them. $600 inc freight and fitting and I was away. The bike shop did not balance either the front or rear because they said they did not know how but still charged me $60 for fitting!! Anyway so I'm going to keep an eye on the blisters and continue on.
    In my travels I have met others with the same problems and Metzler have told them to go away. It seems that the Tourance cant hack off road touring and they should not be fitted if you intend to tour the outback with all your camping equipment ie extra weight. The corrogations kill them quickly and even with correct tyre pressures.

I might try Ankies next and see how they go. Probably around Sydney NSW at the rate of wear I'm having and its been 90% dirt!!

Any ideas why the front dose this? Anyone else had the same probs?

Cheers
    Tads out in the scrub somewhere :D
  2. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    In the past I have heard about some bad front Tourance’s . But it was a balancing problem not ply separation.
    Anyway, I run Tourance’s on the rear and Anakee's on the front.
    I like the Tourance, it works well for me.
  3. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    No real structural problems I've heard of...I run them, sometimes with an Anakee in the front.
  4. craftkr

craftkr "Carpe Diem"

Oddometer:
    I have about 6800 miles on the Tourances I am running and have had no problems. And I have run some off road and find they exceeded my expectations there. My front tire has been holding up well, as has the rear tire. Last time off road I hit a bunch of sand and they handled very well, and the majority of my riding is street riding and they perform well there as well. Maybe these problems your encountering are just bad tires? One of my riding buddy's has the Michelen Anakees and he loves them. I think both are a good tire, however I am not sure if I will go back with another set of Tourances or Anakees. Don't know if this helps or not? Wish you luck! :freaky
  5. Rhodie

Rhodie Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Tourances.
    They are my tyre of choice - Karoos on the sticky stuff.
    I have ridden extensively off-road in Laos & Cambodia - including long stretches
    of corrugated dirt roads.
    Sounds as though you should email Metzler's Aus distributer with some pix.
    The very least they should do is replace it for you.
    The numbers on the side of the tyre will tell you the date of manufacture.
    This may have a bearing on the blistering.
    They willl need decoding - you might want to post it here and someone will decode it for you.
  6. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Love my Torrances. Absolutely no issues. Have been running them for the past 55K mikes. Plenty of off-road riding. Work well.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  7. airansun

airansun Ride Wet!

Oddometer:
    In well over 50,000 miles (between my HP2 and my GS), I've only run Tourances and never had any of the problems you describe. Obviously, because I keep buying them, I'm very happy with them.

Didn't I hear that there's a different manufacturing source for Tourances in the Far East? Or was that another tire?
  8. GotMud?

GotMud? Oh Crap!

Oddometer:
    I've got 3000 on the back and 1500 miles on the front and all is well with mine. Most of my riding is on pavement in the heat but I tear up some scrub every now and then and they have resisted damage very well....I've got to think you got a bad set but I can't say I'd be any different in your shoes.
  9. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Democratic Republic of the Disunited States
    I have to say that you probably just got a bad set. I have been using Metzeler tires for years on my airheads and R1200GS. Never have I had a problem. I will admit though, I am thinking of putting a set o Anakees on the GS next time just for a change to see how I like them. I have been using Metzelers so long it will almost feel like I am cheating on the wife! :eek1
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I've been through a few combo's, and the one that seems to come up best on my 1150 is a karoo 2 front with an Anakee rear. Good all-round combo for road and dirt. And I live in Oz too.
  11. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    I think you are running too little air pressure.
    The tire is pinched between the rim and a rock.
    when I run greater than say 25 psi I have no problems.
    Lower the pressure below 20,hit a rock and presto, instant tire bubble.
  12. German

German Ich liebe Bayrischen Mist

Oddometer:
    I have recently completed a 6300 miles trip with Micheling Anakees. I had the same issue on my fron tire. Half way into my trip in Arizona, I noticed the bubbling of my front tire. Upon return, I bought a new se of Tourances that I had put on yesterday. According to past experience from our inmates, the regardless of brand name (Michelin or Tourance) you will encounter the same bubbling issue of the front tire, as they ar caused by the famous BMW telelever suspension.

I should mention that the bubbles did not occur until I had about 11000 miles on my fron tire.

German
  13. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feed back. Air pressures are maintained above 28 psi front and 30 rear. Some times I'll re adjust air pressures up too 4 or 5 times in 600 klm's as road conditions change.
    Its nothing I'm doing I'm sure? I think that Metz need to go back to the table and redesign their tyres. Maybe make a tyre with a 4 ply side wall rather than a 2 ply side wall?
    I'm no expert but I know one thing for sure, I wont be using Tourance front tyres again. A blister in the 1st 400 klm's is unacceptable regardless of terrain (within reason of corse). My dealer said that they don't offer a warranty on tyres because I might of hit a rock :D Man, I've hit millions! If this mentality persists, what is actually covered in our warranties? Will the dealer fall back on "You took the bike off road so no warranty sorry" on anything, within reason taking into account fair wear and tear I'm thinking I will have more than tyre issues after this trip trying to claim on a defective part.

I have 25,000 klm's to go befor this trip is over on some of the toughest outback tracks in Aus so we will see??

Thanks again
    Iron Side Up

Tads
  14. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    There is your problem; you are running your tires too soft. They are not designed for that and will fail.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    My 2c. I have done over 15,000 road miles on my present front, and it still looks good. 40/42 PSI
    Just replaced the rear at 15276 road miles 42/45 PSI
    BMW R1150GS
    Maybe there is something wrong with your bike?
  16. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:

So what pressures do you suggest? I personally think that the front Tourances are weak at the level of touring that i'm doing but will hold my final verdict untill I try Ankies at the next tyre change which will be in a matter of two weeks at the rate of klm's I'm doing (3 weeks after fitting the new set)
    Why dose the rear tyre remain uneffected? Maybe as German said, the Tele front end has something to do with it?
    You cannot run road tyre pressures on the dirt roads in Australia. You will crash :eek1 The corrogations will either destroy your bike or bounce you all over the show and make the bike unridable. There has to be a middle ground somewhere which is slightly less air pressures. Why then dont they design a tyre (maybe they do) to take in all types of conditions, is that asking too much? I dunno...

I'll keep yous posted and make the ultimate tyre comparison given the fact by the time I get home I would have done 3 oil changes, 3 tyre changes and set that bloody tent up and pulled it down over 75-80 times!! :lol3

Cheers

Tads
  17. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    too low pressures...38 front and 40 rear for me..
  18. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't Metzeler offer the wty, not the dealer? Contact Metz and see what they say. Ask them about tyre pressures, they'll probably say use BMW recommended pressures.
  19. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    It says right on the tire what the minim pressure is, 32 in the front, 36 in the rear.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I think you can safely lower the pressure for short stretches but doing hundreds of miles? I don’t think so.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Anyhow, you should not be having trouble with Tourances’s. Look at this thread.<o:p></o:p>