Metzeler Karoo 3 with MAM Mudslinger issues?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 18415, Jun 5, 2019.

1. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all.

I'm interested in the Karoo 3 tires and was wondering what if any fitment issues people have had with the Machine Art Moto mudslinger rear fender. I have heard that some more aggressive tires have clearance issues with the mudslinger.
    Also, If you are sporting the Karoo 3 tires, what is your opinion for on-road performance? My bike likes to ride at a spirited pace and I don't want to compromise on-road traction. Noise for me is not an issue.
  2. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't comment on the mudslinger but can about street performance. Not too bad. Very noisy. Handling is "spongy" compared to a street tire. Turn in feels weird until you get used to it.
    Grip is reasonable for a semi-knobby but you won't be comfortable at a sport touring pace. The best scenario is two sets of rims. I put most of my miles on Continental Trail Attack 3s (on cast wheels) and throw on the Karoo 3s (on spokes) when I expect to be off pavement.
    18415 likes this.
  3. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I can only comment on the Karoo road performance; it's definitely not as sticky as a dedicated street tire. That said, I have dragged boxes with them, but I've also spun/stepped out the rear through paved corners with Karoos. My opinion is that a TKC80 is a bit stickier than the Karoo on the street (and arguably offroad), but the Karoo will last longer (I got 4000 miles out of a rear and 5000 miles out of a front).
    18415 likes this.
  4. Fosters

Fosters Loner

Oddometer:
    I have that combo on my 1250 gsa...install with confidence...no conflicts whatsoever
    18415 likes this.
  5. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been loving the Karoo 3 tires but man, the tread life sucks. I installed a new rear on my bike for a 1,300 Northern California 4 day haul with some dirt and the tire is ridiculously worm. As much as I love these tires, I can’t afford to replace them as often as I need to. The picture is after the 1,300 miles. Very disappointing. FD09B04A-3228-420B-BEAD-68869CD86DAB.jpeg