Metzeler Roadtec 01. Anyone try them yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by davidji, Jan 23, 2016.

1. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Anyone try the Metzeler Roadtec 01 yet?

Replacement for the Roadtec Z8 Interact, and apparently the latest and greatest sport touring tire from Pirelli/Metzeler.
  2. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are these even out yet? I hear they're supposed to launch this quarter, but I can't find them anywhere.
  3. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    The US site says 'first months 2016' for availability

[​IMG]

Metzeler Roadtec 01 - First Look
  4. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    They better be awfully good! I've been a Metzler fanboy since the 1970s, but my first set of Michelin Pilot Roads 3s swung me over to Michelin in a big way. The current PR 4s are even better. They grip in the dry like the old Metz Z6 & they grip in the wet.....like the old Z6 grips in the dry! The bar is set pretty high. Metzler will have to bring their "A" game to win me back.
  5. FadeToBlack

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about these myself, but I think we'll have to wait a few more weeks to read some reviews. Generally the media gets these first, and there aren't any reviews on them at this time.
    The Z8s came out below the Road 4 in all tests I read, so I'm genuinely interested to see whether that's changed. I've been recommended to get the Road 4, and nothing else, in case I'm looking for a new all-around tire.
  6. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Glad others are interested too.

UK's The Visor Shop showed them as in stock before i posted.
    http://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Metzeler-RoadTec-01-Motorcycle-Tyres/m-18298.aspx

Not sure if they're available in the US yet or if my local tire shop can get them yet. I posted on this international forum hoping somebody had them by now.

Pirelli and Metzeler seem to stagger their sport touring tire releases. I switched from the Metzeler Z8 to the Pirelli Angel GT not long after it came out--just had an Angel GT front tire installed last weekend. Got another front tire coming due soon though and I'm most interested in this one.
  7. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
  8. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Called my local tire shop to check on these today. They just got their first two front tires in, and I bought one.
    dustin2 likes this.
  9. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk As a PR4 owner and lover, I'm curious.
  10. Woodcock

Woodcock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every new tire has the new hype, tried most all of them. Personally I just went back to the pilot road 2 from the 4gt, last longer, less cupping, 100$ cheaper for rear. Feels no different than the 3 or 4. Great hype to sucker us in for another 100$
  11. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    So far when buying the latest and greatest from Pirelli/Metzeler, each generation from the Pirelli Angel ST, to the Metzeler Z8 and Pirelli Angel GT has made a difference to me.

The Angel GT has been good to me though. We'll see how much of an improvement this new one is.

I'm also curious about the Dunlop Roadsmart III, but I don't think they're available in the US yet. The Roadsmart II worked well for me.

I realize that if I was happy with a tire before, I'd be happy with it again (unless maybe I'd found something better since then), but it keeps things fresh to discover something new. And they really do seem to be making better tires over time.

As far as Michelin sport touring rubber, no idea. I can only go by what I read. Some love this model, and hate that. With some it's the other way around. And some like them all.
  12. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
  13. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. Fanowater

Fanowater n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a set mounted on a Yamaha FJ-09. Only got one ride in and the weather and roads were perfect, so I can't comment on rain, cold or slick road performance.
    However, they were excellent under ideal conditions when ridden very aggressively - but I bet any modern premium tire that was brand new would have also impressed. Will update if I get unlucky and get caught in the rain.
    Cheers
  15. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'll keep an eye on these. I've run the PR4s for a while now and am not that impressed. They perform well enough, but I'm getting several thousand fewer miles out of them on a less powerful, lighter bike than I was with the PR2s. I never tried PR3s, too many coming apart scared me off.
  16. FadeToBlack

Oddometer:
    Metzeler seems to have a fantastic set of tires in the new Roadtech 01s.

17. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    I'd take this with a grain of salt as Metzeler paid for this test.
  18. FadeToBlack

Oddometer:
    MCN is reliable, and the whole thing sounds legit. They favored the sport side over touring.
  19. kpd1999

kpd1999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting a new set of tires within a month. Looking at these, Angel GT's, and PR4GT (which I have now). I'm seriously thinking about leaning towards these.
  20. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loved the Z6 and Z8 in the past. However, I have been running Pirelli Angel GT's on most of my bikes for the last 2 years -- better total mileage and equal or better performance -->for me. But I like the way these are laid out and I trust MCN so I am going to put a set on my S1KR as soon as I kill the OEM's, also a set on my XR when I finish off the Angels presently installed and I will probably put a front on my Dorso if I get the fucking bitch running right!!! Any excuse to play with my new No Mar Tire Changer!!!!
    AllSeasonRider likes this.