Metzeler Roadtec 01. Anyone try them yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by davidji, Jan 23, 2016.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    What kind of mileage do people get on the Z8? The 01 is supposed to be 'better' according to Metz, but I don't know what the baseline is...
    Cuz_77 likes this.
  2. Stealth Rider

Stealth Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any word on how these tires are working out for those of you that have them?
  3. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    There has to be some yahoo that already wore a set out...
  4. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but he's too busy riding to post on this forum with all of us losers.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  5. BluRidgRidr

BluRidgRidr Half Fast Ryder

Oddometer:
    My experience is contrary to most. Got the pr4s last year and hated them from day one. Always felt squirmey to me dry or wet. Scarrified pavement was seat sucking tense. Would have gone back to the Z6s then if had the cash. When time for new tires this year was gladly heading to the Zs again then read a review of the 01s and thought why not. Limited riding yet confident from the first. Quicker turn in, not subject to following the cracks but goes with authority where pointed. Looking forward to miles even some rain to really test em but so far so good.
    as always YMMV

P.S installed them myself first time with the zip ties, pretty cool. and as in all tight aps lube is your friend
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  6. Cuz_77

Cuz_77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

10% more wear. So idk. A 4500 mile tire stretches to 5000 miles. Ok.
  7. chokozip

chokozip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id love to know as well. I have run the Z6's for the last 45k. I get 8k out of a rear and 12k on a fron every time. its a hard tire to beat so Im not in a hurry to stray just yet. But I sure would like a little longer life out of tires.
    Cuz_77 likes this.
  8. Cuz_77

Cuz_77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah it would be hard to stray from that kind of mileage if your happy with the feel and performance.
  9. Fanowater

Fanowater n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm much too eager with the throttle to get that kind of mileage. If I get 3500 miles out of the rear I will be happy.
  10. woody242

woody242 n00b

Oddometer:
    Had the Roadtec01 tyres on a Fz6 now for 4 weeks, 1000 miles later in rain, sleet and the odd dry day. Always used the continental roadattack 2 tyres before but will not be going back. Roadtec01 tyres in my opinion are brill, fantastic grip and delivers more positive handling at any speeds. Just have to see how long they last....
  11. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Decided to go ahead and give them a try, they are on their way as we speak.
  12. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are on the fence about buying these...jump on over! I've put about 650 miles on mine in every kind of condition (sans snow/ice). I live in the SF Bay area where we have some amazing roads and these did not skip a beat. I came from Pilot Power 3's which are brilliant, but still don't have the telepathic feel the Roadtec's have. I have an 02 FZ1 and bought the standard (not heavy weight) tires. Rear tire pressure 39, front 36. Unless you have a 200lb woman on back (as my tire guy says) don't go to 42psi.

I find myself using MUCH less effort initiating turns, and trail braking is linear...no standing up at all. Not going to dismiss any other tires (except Conti Motion's due to horrible life for a ST tire)....but these will be my next tires...and next....

Finally, I have a friend with a BMW K1200 and he has over 2k on his set. Still look brand new and feel as good as new too. (his words) Cheers!
  13. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    That is good to hear, @BayRiderBob , as the Pilot Power 3s were also on my list.

Mine showed up while I was out of town. I don't find the tread pattern any more flattering in person as I did in pictures, but the tread looks nice and deep and the rear looks wider than my Pilot Road 4... I always thought that tire looked narrower than it's size would suggest.

Going to mount these up tonight or tomorrow and get some first impressions.
  14. BLSully

BLSully n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been riding a VFR1200 (not mine) with the new Roadtec 01's and am at about 1200 miles now. As BayRiderBob's friend with the K12 said, they still look new and feel fantastic. They are a VAST improvement over the OEM Bridgestone BT-021. This spring, I've been swapping between the VFR and my R1150RS with 4500 mile PR3's in temps ranging from 30-80 degrees. Wisconsin weather isn't sure what it's supposed to do this year. Not a fan of rain, but I'll ride on wet roads post-rainstorm. The RS has always been a very confident bike with the PR3's, but riding the VFR on the 01s is an entirely different experience. I liken it to driving a sports car on performance all-seasons and thinking "wow this car handles great!" and then swapping to a really good max performance summer tire. You just get that impression of "wow, so that's what I've been missing". Of course it's a bit unfair to insist an old set of tires compare to a brand new set, but the PR3's have always been a great tire on the RS and I never felt them lacking until I got the 01's on the VFR.

I'm not a terribly skilled rider, so the fact that I feel comfortable tossing the VFR through corners 10mph faster than I would normally ride the RS says quite a bit in my mind. On the Bridgestones, the VFR would often like to break the rear end loose a bit on corner exit when coming on the power. With as much torque as that motor produces, it seemed to easily overwhelm the available traction of the BT-021. The Roadtec's utterly fail to be skittish or show any signs of stress during moderately aggressive street riding.

So, rave reviews always seem to be met with skepticism, and I get why that is. There is no perfect tire, no review that can encompass every aspect other riders are curious about, but my summary? "The RS will be getting a set of Roadtec 01's when the PR3's are done." Incidentally, my dad's got a 2003 K1200GT he just put PR4GT's on. That bike also handles much nicer than it did on it's previous tires (BT-45s? can't remember what he has on there before... but they were really bad near the end), but I still give the nod to the Roadtec's for overall feel
  15. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, very interesting tread pattern but they definitely did some serious testing here. The Pilot Power 3's are excellent tires....probably better for hyperbikes riding in mostly dry conditions. They felt like glue to the road. Being so sticky, they also pick up crap that will give you a flat, which is what happened to me.

The Pilot Road 4 may be a better tire for someone who rides more upright as the profile is more touring than sport. I think you will really enjoy the 01's!
  16. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoy them! It really is a "feel" thing with these tires. When a tire feels so comfortable you use less energy and can ride longer with greater enjoyment. It'll be interesting to see what kind of mileage we get with them! Cheers!!
  17. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I mounted mine last night - for anyone who does their own tires, the front was among the most difficult to get on that I can recall. Looks like I need some rim touch-up paint.

Anyway, I've been able to put about 10 miles on them riding to work. Keep in mind I can only compare these to the Pilot Road 4s I took off, the rear was pretty much at the wear bars and squared off at about 6kmi (mostly fast touring miles from last year), the front had 10+kmi and honestly could have lasted through another rear... 3 rears to a front, me thinks Michelin has the compounds a bit off on these.

But I digress. Compared to my used up PR4s, the 01s don't feel 'tippy' like a new tire usually does. They are feeling very neutral to me, especially once leaned over - they don't require constant bar pressure to hold the angle which will take a little getting used to. The ride is very nice as well as they seem to smooth out bumps and broken pavement better than the PR4s did, which surprised me.

I haven't pushed them very hard yet, but I have a 250-mile sport bike ride with some friends in the Adirondacks on Saturday, so I'll get a good feel for what they're about.
  18. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    My Roadtec 01 in the front on my R1200R been good in all conditions so far and seems to be wearing well. A small concern I had switching from the Angel GT to the Roadtec 01 was treadwear. I think they claimed 15% tread life increase over the Z8. But I got more of an increase than that going from the Z8 to the Angel GT--at least for the rear tire. Obviously it depends on bike and conditions, YMMV, etc.

On my Versys 650 I remember getting around 11k miles or a little better from Z8 rear tires. Compared to 14k-15k miles from Angel GT. Mostly freeway commuting in both cases. If one tended to wear out the sides first I think the Z8 would compare more favorably.
  19. Roark

Roark Laissez-faire

Oddometer:
    How would you compare the turn-in feel and sensitivity of the Roadtec 01 to the Angel GT?
  20. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @davidji I would be thrilled with even 9kmi out of a rear at this point, so even if it's less than a Angel GT, I'm hoping that it's still more than the PR4. 11kmi would get me back to where my PR2s were, maybe a little more. The 12-13kmi the literature claims (based on your mileage, anyway) would be amazeballs.