Metzeler Roadtec 01. Anyone try them yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by davidji, Jan 23, 2016.

1. BLSully

BLSully n00b

Oddometer:
    This is a good way to put it. Before the ST bikes I have now, I rode a Vulcan 1500 and VTX1800 for the most part, both bikes having a tendency to drop the front wheel into the corner, so a constant feeling of counter-steering is ingrained in my riding style to some extent. It's difficult to pull myself out of that mindset, but this observation is very accurate on the VFR. After turn in, the bike really does want to just track and I have to force myself to let off pressure on the inside bar. Really makes it apparent just how much traction is still on the table when you let the bike get comfortable and do it's thing!
  2. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I'm the wrong guy to ask, since I only have the front right now (and on this bike it replaced a BT023), paired with an Angel GT in back. Also it's on my R1200R which took me awhile to work out this "feel" thing--if I even have :-)

I've been happy with it in all conditions so far, and I'll likely buy one for my next back tire--though that may be on my FZ1.

I think it was the day after I had the Roadtec 01 installed in front that I got a nasty puncture on the rear tire. "Nasty" because it was at quite an angle, and I actually considered replacing it, giving me a matching pair. Didn't. I know that new tires seem to attract punctures, and that punctures are more common in back--did my new front tire attract a puncture to the rear?
  3. messes

messes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've put 4500 miles on a pair so far, I got them fitted back in early February and they are still looking fresh. They replaced an old set of PR4's which had done around 7500 miles and had a little left but were cupping on the front.

I found them to turn quicker than the Angel GT's as the profile is sharper but they've been just as planted as those and the PR4's. I've been impressed with the cold/wet weather grip and while the summer hasn't quite got going yet I don't think they will disappoint. I would be expecting them to get to the 8000 mark which is about what I'd expect from the other two tyres.
  4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I've done about 300+ miles on mine now. Fair bit of interstate, lots of higher-speed state roads up in the mountains, and a some going at it hard in the twisties. I really can't complain. They track well, the bike responds well to mid-corner line adjustments, they'll sit on the interstate without any issues or feeling twitchy. Did some riding in the rain - didn't push anything too hard but no problems regardless. In the twisties, I ran at about as fast a pace as I care to on the street, and the tires never gave any signs of uneasiness, and still have some lean angle left in them if I want/need to go further.

TL;DR - I don't notice them while I ride, which is exactly how I like a tire to be.

Only thing left is a long-term test and see how these do mileage wise. The other comments sound promising.
  5. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got about 1k miles on mine now. Rode pretty darn hard today through the Santa Cruz mountains...they were begging for more! What is amazing is I still have a small "chicken strip" on both from and rear....any further over and I'll be dragging hard parts. I've told myself if I get 6k out of the rear I will be very happy...sound's like that number will be pretty easy to achieve. Oh, forgot to mention, yesterday rode in some iffy weather/road conditions...had some slippery mid corner dirt that I hit and the tire stepped out...maybe a few inches....hard to tell. Once it found traction again no problems at all...just tracked nicely through the rest of the corner.
  6. BLSully

BLSully n00b

Oddometer:
    Did about another 250 miles this weekend with the VFR on the Roadtec 01's in the Driftless area of Wisconsin. It was perfect riding weather, 65-80 degrees and sunny with very little wind. Even with some reasonably aggressive riding, the tires still show no visible wear. Definitely no squaring off on the center yet or signs of cupping. The PR3's seem to feather the siping badly when they get near the end of their life which leads (at least this is my theory) to the squirminess I feel on them now. Was glad to see no siping on the Roadtec's like the Pilots have.

As BayriderBob mentioned, I also was privileged to experience some mid-corner surprises (Thanks to planting season... tractors kick or drop all sorts of gravel into the road). The Roadtec's slip in a predictable fashion and hook back up without drama. Try as I might, it's really difficult to abuse the tires enough to make them misbehave. I came across a horse that had gotten loose and trotted into the road right in front of me. ABS activated, but the stopping power and stability I had available was pretty incredible.

I will say... as much of a blast as the VFR is.... the Tiger 1200 I was riding with that day was mindblowing. I've never ridden a big ADV bike like that before, and it had just telepathic handling. I was riding that bike faster than I do the VFR within minutes of getting on it. Negotiating the curves takes nothing more than a passing thought of bar pressure and the levels of grip was just unreal (Michelin Tourances). VFR has the better motor, but the Triumph has better 0-10% TP fueling.

[​IMG]
  7. bucktownbilly

bucktownbilly n00b

Oddometer:
    So I've had mine on the FJ09 for a month now. Good stuff! I've alway liked Z6's and 8's and these are no exception.
  8. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I've got around 1,200 miles on mine now. Sadly, the last week was pretty much just running up and down I-87 between Albany and Lake George, NY as I was working at Americade but not staying up there. It did give me the chance to put about 700+ miles of just interstate with not much else in between (I was leading demo rides, so I wasn't on my own bike at all once there). The rear is just barely showing signs of squaring off, which is about what I'd expect. I'm still loving these things and I've forgotten how good these modern sport touring tires are in the rain. Doing a test run in the rain of the route we were running for demos, the back end of a Victory Cross Country started getting squirrely on me at a pace I'd not think twice of on my own bike. Ever have 900 lbs of motorcycle that isn't yours start to get sideways under you? That was a pucker moment...
  9. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm up to about 1,800 miles on mine now. Most of my riding is twisty roads...so no squaring off. I can detect a little wear, but not much. Feel and grip is still excellent! All my latest riding has been in 60-75 degree weather and these like those temps...don't we all!!
  10. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I tried to buy a set recently at my local dealer. None available.

So I ended up buying a set of Bridgestone T30 Evos instead, primarily because they made me a deal I couldn't refuse. $250 + tax.

So far I've not been disappointed, but I'd still like to try the Roadtec 01s.

Keep on with the updates for us.
  11. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that with install? I paid $250 for my set....with a $50 Metzeler promo. I ordered from Revzilla and drop shipped to a tire install guy in the city. Pretty sure you will be happy with your T30's...reviews are good.
  12. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    No, price did not include mounting, but the dealer does give me a price break on mounting if I buy the tires from them.
  13. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I made it to 2,800 miles before I picked up a very VERY large screw...which did the tire in. I was in a non cell service area about 35 miles from home so I decided to keep riding till if felt completely unsafe. I have to say, these tires actually do fairly well when FLAT!!! I did 25 miles in super twisty roads and then the last 10 on the Interstate. Yes, the back was squirming around but it was manageable....though not FUN. Up until that point, the tire(s) were amazing....and I am guessing I would have got about 6k out of the rear. Got a new one fitted last week....I hope I can use it through it's life. Oh, Jake Wilson has(had) the rear for $158 USD....about $20 cheaper than any other site. Came in 3 days free shipping. Cheers!
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  14. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I'm still really liking mine. A little over 2,000 miles on them now with quite a bit of interstate, they just barely have some flat spot in the center, but no more than I'd expect.
  15. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do about 25% interstate, but even our interstates are somewhat crooked ;) Winner in my book!!
  16. BLSully

BLSully n00b

Oddometer:
    Also in the 2500 range on the VFR's set. My PR3' on the R1150RS are nearly done so I have a fresh set of Roadtec 01s sitting in the garage. Doing a Lake Michigan circle trip this weekend to finish off the PR3s so I'll mount up the Roadtecs when I get home and then see if I like them as much on the BMW as I do the VFR. Revzilla pricematched the Roadtecs for me minus the Metzeler rebate came to right at $250. Not bad I don't think for such a promising tire.
  17. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 19" tire is available now for adv bikes, when I finish off the Conti Road Attack 2 EVO's I'm going to try a set of these on my Tiger 800, so far I've used the BT 023's and T30's with the T30's being much better than the 023's, mileage was about 3500 miles to the wear bar on the rear. I like the Conti's they grip well and the front profile is better than the T30. There is a $50 rebate on the Metzeler's until the end of August and there is one on the Bridgestones until end of September. The Metzelers are a little more expensive than the Bridgestones.
  18. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are now available in smaller sizes like 160/60 17 to fit the Versys 650, Ninja 650, Honda NC, etc..
  19. BLSully

BLSully n00b

Oddometer:
    Just had a second set of these mounted on my R1150RS this past weekend. Replaced a 5 year old set (by date stamp) of PR3s on which I put a bit over 6000 miles in the last 2 seasons plus an unknown number from the previous owner. 100 miles in and I have the same general impressions of them on this bike as I did the VFR. No greasiness at all, instant confidence from the moment I pulled out of my driveway. The RS now steers much more neutrally. On the PR3s (at least near the end of their life) the bike required a fair amount of constant counter-steering pressure to want to keep my line. This was obviously detrimental to confidence in the front end as it always felt like it wanted to wash out even when there was obviously plenty of grip available. Roadtecs have brought back that natural feel where only a slight counter steer is necessary to initiate, and then you can go neutral on the bars and the bike holds it's line beautifully. All my confidence in riding the RS aggressively in the curves is back on these. Would love to A/B test them against a brand new set of PR3s to see if it's just the difference between a worn out set and a new set, but even when the PR3s were fresher I was never a huge fan of them on the RS.

After some price matching with a couple other vendors, I picked these up for $305 shipped from Revzilla at the beginning of August minus a $50 rebate from Metzeler. Pretty great tires for $250/set. I hope I can match or exceed the 6000 I got out of the PR3s.
  20. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested in opinions on how they feel after 3-4k miles. At the 2,800 mile mark the tires still felt awesome but I picked up a large screw in the rear and was forced to replace. I now have about 3,500 on the front and 700 on the rear. The rear still looks fairly new as it should. The front has slight cupping but not horrible. What I am noticing and is very common on most tires is a bit of understeer. The 100% neutral feel that they had when new(er) is gone. They don't feel unsafe, but it takes a bit more effort to push them through the corners. Pressure is fine...check that often so I don't know if it's the front and the cupping causing this or what. If it doesn't get any worse and I end up getting 5-6k out of them I will likely get another set. If the feel gets progressively worse I will be looking for another brand. A friend of mine who had the Roadtecs on his K1200 had pretty bad cupping after 3k and said that they became really hard to ride soon after. He replaced with Bridgestone T30Evo's which he really loves....so far. I really wish I could find a tire that would give consistent performance and feel through the life of the tire. Is there such a beast?