Metzeler Roadtec 01. Anyone try them yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by davidji, Jan 23, 2016.

1. petertakov

petertakov Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have almost 11k km on mine and they still feel sticky, intuitive and unnoticeable as they did when new or at least I haven't noticed any difference. They are wearing pretty evenly and haven't "cupped' yet but I am avoiding motorways.
  2. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. So far cannot fault mine either but they don't feel quite as neutral as they did new. Nothing to worry about....yet.
    petertakov likes this.
  3. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many miles on yours?
  4. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About 4,000 miles on the front and 1,500 on rear. Picked up a big screw on rear.
  5. FadeToBlack

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'll need to replace the tires in the spring and from what I can tell the Roadtecs seems to be the best sport touring option in terms of grip. Am I wrong?
  6. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's between them & the Michelin Pilot Road 4s. I know that the PR4s are superb, & I've heard & read good things about the Roadtecs. The question for me is....do I stick with a known great tire (PR4) or take a chance on something new (better?) from Metzler? I've been a Metzler fanboy for 40 years, but these Roadtecs will have to be "off the charts" to beat the PR4s. They have the best wet grip I've ever known, near sport tire grip in the dry, & 8 - 10 thousand miles of life. Hard to beat that.
  7. BayRiderBob

BayRiderBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The PR4's are better if you do more highway riding and want a bit better life. The Roadtec's will feel like a sport tire, just not as sticky in the dry compared to say a Pilot Power III....which is a brilliant tire but does not last long. If you are more on the touring side of sport touring the PR4's are probably the way to go.....Roadtec's lean towards the sport side much more.
    charliektm400exc likes this.
  8. ssason

ssason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride the second pair of Angel GT right now with my VFR VTEC. I realy love this tire, sticky from the first corner, even at low temps, but also worth for "knee down" at the local test and training track.

But, next season i´ll give the Roadtec 01 a try. Why? Just because of the low milleage of the front tire. The last one last a bit less than 5000km :patch That´s milleage i used to know from the rear PilotPower 2CT....
  9. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I did not like the PR4s on my bike, and I was a big fan of the PR2s (skipped the 3s). The Roadtecs are much nicer for me.

My front is starting to cup a little, BUT, I realized they were way low on air (like, 22lbs in the front). No idea how long it was like that, but I'm sure that didn't help things any.
  10. FadeToBlack

Oddometer:
    On my bike with the tires that I have, when the front tire is below 30 PSI, the front is bouncy. That's how I know it's time to check the pressure.

Because it loses air (can't explain it), I have managed to ruin the front tire.

On the sides there are flat (and I mean flat) areas where it's past the wear marker, while on the center it's got a bit more meat over it. I am not Rossi posting under this username.

Be careful with the pressures. It can make any tire feel like crap.

On a different note, has anyone asked Metzeler what the recommended track pressures are? (I use that as a reference point for street use.)

I know that for a T30 Evo, which is in the same segment, Bridgestone recommends 2.3 front/2.2 rear (BAR).

Assuming the Metzelers are the same, you really shouldn't ever be going below those pressures.

Again, I am making an assumption and it would be good to know what the actual track recommended pressures are. Not street, which is more often than not 2.5 (36) front and 2.9 (42) rear.
  11. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    No idea, but I like to run 32 front, 36 rear.
  12. FadeToBlack

Oddometer:
    32 could be low for a sport touring tire like this one. If the bike is heavy, when with you (and gear) on it, more so.

If it gets bad at a pressure close to what you run, keep it in mind to check the pressure often. Because it can get there quick if it keeps losing air.

Changing the valves to 90 degree ones would make it easier to check the pressures. The stock ones personally drive me insane.
  13. ssason

ssason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree...my front wheel is already upgraded with a 90 degree valve, rear will follow with the next tire change. Definetly a upgrade which makes "life" easyer
  14. FadeToBlack

Oddometer:
    Oh, how I'm not paying attention to who I'm replying to. . .

Where did you get your valves?
  15. ssason

ssason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    at my local bike service, where i by my tires... cost 12€
    FadeToBlack likes this.
  16. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anymore long term updates on this tire?
  17. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I'm still working through my first set... not been riding as much as I'd like to.

I've done a couple canyon runs with them near my new digs in SoCal. It's been hot, so grip is as good as it'll be, but at an aggressive street pace there's not issues with loss of traction.

I know this was an old reply, but I'm just seeing it now. I have these on a Monster 1100 - ~415 lbs full of gas, so I'm on the very lightest end of the range that anyone would use these on.

I don't recall specifics, but I ran similar pressures on an Buell S3T (a little heavier) and a Triumph Sprint GT (a little more heavier) with other ST tires and didn't notice any issues. TO be fair, though, I don't play with pressures as much as I probably should, just to see what feels best for a given bike/tire combo.
  18. deesee

deesee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a little over 7,300 miles on mine, and will be changing them out tomorrow night. I could squeeze a few more miles out of them, but I like to be prepared for the wanderlust to kick in unannounced, so I will change them.
    I'm right to the wear bars on the rear, with my R1200RT. The front is right at 2/32", and is starting to cup a little. The Rear is squared off, and has a pretty wide flat spot from highway mileage. I run 36-38 front, and 40-42 rear.

The traction is still good, and the tire is still pretty neutral handling. I've always felt that the handling was a little too neutral. These tires don't like to tip into turns like the Angel GT does. They are happy wherever you lean them, but the don't want to lean. I have had the rear end start to sideslip a little on tight mountain turns lately, but I'm hesitant to blame that on the tire. I've lost a bunch of weight, and my suspension is now over-sprung.

I've found one huge negative, the reason that I'll be trying a different tire tomorrow. At about 5,000 miles, the tires developed a significant 'howl'. The howl was so bad that I ended up pulling the final drive and driveshaft to make sure that they weren't getting ready to blow. It was that bad. If you've pulled the driveshaft on an RT, you know what a pain in the butt it is. After all the fiddling, I decided that the noise must be coming from the tires. After more contemplation, the noise is loudest right as I get the rear tire off the flat spot. I was NOT convinced that the final drive was ok, at first. This noise isn't a 'singing' like the PR4, FWIW.

Overall, I think this is a really good tire. I can live with the noise, after spending several days hunting for potential problems in my drivetrain. BUT, the mileage is average (for the fantastic tires that we're riding today.) While the rain handling is as good as anything out there, and the dry handling is better than the PR4 (a tire that I will not go back to) I'm left wanting something different. More is the wrong word, but the turn-in is leaving me un-inspired. I disliked the PR4, and loved the Angel GT. The only weakness I found with that tire was that it was a little fidgety over tar snakes, but it is my favorite so far. If I was getting 10K out of a rear, that would be a different story, but I'm going to try the Roadsmart 3, for now.
  19. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I hope you give us some feedback on the new RS3s after you've put some miles on them.

I running a set of Bridgestone T30 Evo now, and they're doing fine after a couple of thousand miles, but may go back to the Dunlops, which I also liked.
  20. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on a RS3 review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk