Metzler Karoo Street

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Happy Snapper, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
  2. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Nah. They look just like a bunch of other boring roadie tyres - roady and dull.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  3. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    They seem to get good write ups O/S. Trouble is with fully O/R tyres you fuck them on the tar getting to your destination.

Be keen to hear of any inmates experiences with them on big bikes.
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    If you take those Anakee III off let me know :evil
  5. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Would you like them?
    BygDaddee likes this.
  6. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Yerbut, you can buy a set of new knobbies for less than the price of a roadie-style rear. If roadie tyres last 10k and knobs last 5k at half the price, I can't see the problem is cost.
  7. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    If they are anything like the Tourance they will be good, on the road for wet and dry conditions, offroad they'll be like any road tyre......useless!!!

Go the Sahara enduro 3, ya know ya wanna:D
    toramorgan likes this.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    A speed rated knobby for a new GSA won't be half the price of a road tyre for it, from my experience it may be dearer.
    Hoots, Happy Snapper and Andrew2 like this.
  9. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    stop procrastinating and get those useless Anakee III off so you aren't running them down.
  10. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Be patient my son..... you want me to post them to you or are you bringing the Berlina Machina home soon?
  11. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Ill prob bring them back with me some time in a few weeks after we work out a favourable on my behalf deal :D

Happy Snapper likes this.
  12. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've just swapped out a rear Karoo Street on my 16 Africa Twin. Now lets set the scene. I've ridden the bike from Australia to Europe over the last 2 years over 84000 klms and have had numerous tyre combinations. I ride slow and we are loaded two up. Here in Europe I saw no need for a 50/50 tyre, so decided a street orientated set would be the go. So after 20500 klms on the Karoo Street, my thoughts are it's a very competent road tyre as you would expect from Metzler. My only complaint being, like the Karoo 3 it is loud. especially for the first few thousand kilometres, after which the howl subsides a bit, a lot actually. I've currently got Metzler Tourance Next on the front, so can't comment about a front Karoo Street.

Here it is after 20500 klm's. If I pushed on it was still good for another couple thousand k's. But i wanted to hit the Alps with a fresh rear tyre. Most don't get anything like the distance out of a tyre like I do. Like i said I ride easy and I maintain high pressures, typically 42 psi on the rear. For what it's worth my 50/50 tyre/s of choice on the rear are either the Mitas E07 or Shinko 805. Hiddenau's K60's are evil and will never again be fitted to any bike I own.
    [​IMG]
    Cruz and GodSilla like this.
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've also been wondering about the Karoo St as the next tyres for the beemer

And about the Shinko 705

Anyone tried those?

[​IMG]
  14. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Go the Motoz GPS over the 705 hoots, Ive had both the 705 and GPS and would take the GPS over the 705 or E07 every day of the week

Hoots likes this.
  15. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:

Thanks for that.. amazing life.

E07... had them on my Super Tenere and found them treacherous in the wet on bitumen. Also had them on a KLR and seemed Ok there...

I ran Avon Trail Riders on the Super Tenere and was amazed by their wet and dry grip on bitumen and they seemed to me to be brilliant on dirt roads. No discernible difference to he E07, as long as you didn't find any slippery mud. However they only lasted around 9000k which did surprise me as I read about a guy who got 20,000+ out of a rear.

I like the turn in on radials... much better cornering experience in my mind.

Anyhow.. next Tuesday... a set will be mounted up on the GSA and I shall find out for myself.

Once again.. many thanks for your input.
    gperkins likes this.
  16. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm running a 705 on the rear in combo with a Heidenau K60 front and find it to be a great all rounder. Sticks well in the dirt and tar. I'd imagine it would be useless in mud as any tyre like this would be. As for the Heidenau, it's noisy, vibrates and wears uneven. I'll try an EO7 or Motoz Tractionator front next. I also liked the Kenda Big Block.
    Hoots likes this.
  17. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't think the Motoz GPS comes in the rear size I need (140/80/17) ...

Have E07s both ends at present - about 8,000km - front looks more worn than the rear - nice feel on gravel, and seem to be OK on sealed roads - not noisy - no rain to test wet weather handling
    BygDaddee and Andrew2 like this.
  18. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All depends on what your're going to do with them.
    Just my opinion but I reckon the GPS is a great tyre for day to day riding if dirt is priority, it's my go to tyre here in Qld.
    On the other hand the 705 is a great all roads touring touring tyre with better grip on wet roads than the GPS.
    I did the Bonang Highway last year in the wet on the 1190, I was surprised how hard I could get on the throttle without the rear breaking loose.
    We rode all through the Snowys both dirt and bitumen and the 705 performed great.
    This is the 705 after 7000 K's of touring on the 1190R.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/PZp41jsya735C2L66
    [​IMG]
  19. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I curious to know what your initial thoughts are Happy Snapper?
  20. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Ran EO7 f&r on my 950 and loved them, even on wet Tassie roads, ie Queenstown etc. Mates run them on Super Ten and GS 800 in same conditions and happy with them. So I guess it's a bit like oils, run what you're happy with.
    Happy Snapper likes this.