1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Metzler Karoo VS Conti TKC80 and Mitas E09??

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 10Cup, Feb 15, 2009.

1. OverlandHank

OverlandHank Loves to Farkel

Oddometer:
    I don't see any tire weights in the photo... maybe they didn't?
  2. tornillo

tornillo Motojunkie.

Oddometer:
    karro t with 2300 kms. they don't last, max 500 kms more and have to change, i reckon the knobies are to short. i want to try the mitas 09, looks very similar to michi t63.[​IMG]
  3. stevh0

stevh0 Super Retard.

Oddometer:
    all you tire guys out there. Im due for a new rear.

Ive currently got a Mitas C02 on the back. Can anybody give me a suggestion for a new rear tire?

The mitas guys think I should try the E-09 Dakar, but im not convinced as its almost double the price of the c02.

I need a tire that works very well off road. Sand/Mud/gravel and a little bit of tar.
  4. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    I have a Michelin T63 on my 650 and its coming up for 10,000 kms.I have done a lot of those on the dirt but this is the tyre for me.
    I also have a Mitas EO9 in the shed which I will get rid of because I can feel it won't last.The rubber feels too soft.
  5. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you've got a heavier bike you may want to consider the E-10. Has been working great for me and I'm at about 4,500 km or so on them so far. They're awesome on and off the road and surprisingly quiet and smooth feeling for a knobby.
  6. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    Where can one get the E-10 ?
  7. YeeHaa

YeeHaa Fang it!!!!

Oddometer:
    Just home from putting on the new rubber, Old Pirelli's on the rack.
    [​IMG]

I Like the large block pattern of the Karoos. Heading west and south to the Flinders ranges so will have a good chance to check them out on a long range ride.
    What psi is everyone running in these tyres......?

[​IMG]
  8. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    those look close to the new kenda big block

[​IMG]
  9. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just spooned a Big Block on the front of my 650 Strom last weekend. I'll post after more miles although it's better on pavement than I expected.
  10. lm002e

lm002e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a set of Heidenau K60's waiting to be mounted for my trip up the continental divide this summer on my F800. Now that I see the Mitas E09 I kinda like the more aggressive tread pattern. Hmmm... Anybody out there able to compare the K60s and the Mitas? I ran TKCs last summer on my 1150GS and liked them but they just wore too darn fast.
  11. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've run K60's and E-09's. I didn't like either of these choices for a front tire. As for the rear, the K60 is a much better street tire, and when new, pretty darn good in the dirt. The E-09 is ok on the street, but definitely rides like a knobby- rough on the street, great in the dirt. The K60's will be fine for the CDT, and they'll last a good long while. If you want to chuck more dirt, try the Mitas. (It also holds up well to pavement use).
  12. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Florida Man

Oddometer:
    I emailed one of the Mitas reps about a US store to purchase tires from and they recommended http://www.mitasmx.com . Just passing the info along.
  13. aristo6

aristo6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my TKC 80 after weekend on race track. I did about 400 km of drifting there. Rear tyre has overall 8000 km (75% termac) and I suppose it will last next 2000 km until pattern will drop under mandatory 2mm. Front tyre has over 10 000 km and still look like new! On dry corners you can scrap boots and pegs (at least on Honda Dominator :) ) Front will tolerate quite heavy braking in corner, but you must be carefull with rear brake and downshifting in deep tilt. Also caution is needed on wet asphalt during braking and keep tilt level sane. Offroad: It will go well on deep sand and mud and will keep the line! Also wet grass is no problem. During 5 seasons I rode ContiEscape witch is good, but TKC is REAL dual tyre! Only minus is bad balancing of rubber.

Here some pics:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10631363/HFS_day1-tor01.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10631363/HFS_day1-tor02.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10631363/HFS_day1-oponka.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10631363/HFS_day2-TKC80-zamknieta.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10631363/HFS_day2-buciory.jpg
  14. Steve T

Steve T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    on the 950 se

Karoo <2000km
    TKC 3000km
    E09 close to 5000km

E09 is by far my favourite,for the price of a TKC rear you get a set of E09
  15. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Mitas E09 with around 6000km on it, a lot of fire trail riding with pillion at 40psi. I commuted on it.

[​IMG]

K60 scout at 9000km. same tread depth at centre line (or as close to as I could measure) same scenario, a lot of dirt roads, fire trails and some heavy highway use. Pillion throughout. I also commuted on it. Pressures at 40psi.

The Mitas feels similar to the K60 under most on road conditions. It's not horribly slippery, I've ridden with far worse. It's no race slick, but like the K60, if you remember what you're riding on you'll be fine.

Off road, chalk and cheese. The E09 drives and brakes much better in all terrain types. Greasy clay it drives and brakes well, but a tight turn with too much lean sees the back end just shoot sideways. Because the knobs are arranged in bar pattern they have little resistance to a sideways movement.

I don't like the Mitas E09 front. I ditched it in favour of a Dunlop D952. Hooks up really good. Wears really bad.
  16. ned

ned Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, did not read all the post, here my Karoo T at 800km eight hundred km... :pep

[​IMG]
  17. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Florida Man

Oddometer:
    Just did a ride from FL to TX and back, around 2400 miles, super slabbed it 80-85mph to get out and back. Gotta say the E-09 holds up but does wear. Fun to slide in the hills of TX:evil traction control would kick in on about every corner when leaned over a bit. The E-09 and TKC combo worked well, super loud though.
    (pic is with over 4,000 miles on the tires)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. skamikazee

skamikazee Novi├žo

Oddometer:

:eek1:eek1
    You must really ride like a maniac!

The last Karoo T took me over 4000Km to look like yours, with lot's of tarmac.
    Although the centre blocks are almost gone, it seems there's no wear on the side blocks, is it possible you'r over-inflating them?

I'm currently using KAROO/E-09 (rear/back) and it's by far the best combo i mounted for sand riding, it's a whole new bike :evil
  19. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reference tyre wear - under or over inflation

if the knobs wear like this:
    [​IMG]

They are under inflated.

Tread "squirm" is causing the knobs to "flick" as the load comes off them.

Unusual to see it on something with knobs the size of the TKC though.

Just remember, when people talk about "airing down" tyres and mention trail bike pressures below 20 psi, they are talking about tyres on bikes that are HALF the weight of a GS.

This makes a big difference.

The Mitas tyre guy was on here somewhere and he said don't run the E09 below 33psi. I took that to heart and I haven't had wear issues with the Mitas tyres since.

Yeah, you can scavenge a tiny bit of traction at lower pressures...wear rates don't support it on a $/km ratio.
  20. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    I have had similar problems with wear on TKC 80 and Karoo because I love to spin the rear wheel on gravel. My last TKC had about 1100 miles and was fairly well finished.

I now run 130/80 18" T63 which can be had for around $70 apiece. I did have to rebuild my rear wheel to 18" though. I don't get any more miles out of them but they are about 1/3 the price of either TKC or Karoo. And better traction in my opinion. For longer trips Ill run dunlop 908RR 140/80 18' or Michelin Desert Race 140/80 18"