1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Metzler Karoo VS Conti TKC80 and Mitas E09??

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 10Cup, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:

nice chain :D
  2. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It mounts no problem, ABS works no problem and if it's like riding on ice then your roads must be made from something different to ours. I rode with them through winter on icy roads and they aren't that bad. One of the wettest winters for a long time too.

If you can't understand how a knobbie is gunna play on the back of a big bike, you probably shouldn't buy one. The big bike that is...or the knobbie for that matter.

For wet grip Mitas, I think, is better than the K60. The K60 isn't too bad. But it aint a sports bike tyre.
  3. Tonk

Tonk Broken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read a lot of this thread but haven't seen ( I'm sure it's here somewhere) if anyone is running the 150/70/17 e09 or e07 Tubeless.... With a tube. I'm ready to order the tire but I've never run a tubeless tire with a tube. I don't see where it would matter but it must if there are tube/tubeless tires.

I'm also thinking about running a HD tube but have heard that they tend to heat up at highway speeds.

Any advice would be appreciated... Thx
  4. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both sets of these were TL tires that I ran with a tube.
    I keep pressures up to 35-40psi on pavement which makes them last longer.
    I got over 5000K on the E10/E09 and over 10000K on the E07's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Tonk

Tonk Broken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kelsow, looks like I'm going with the 07 rear. Looking forward to putting them on. Thx
  6. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tonk (and Kelsow),

With the E07 rear, what are you putting on the front?

And how do you think that compares with the TKC80's? I'm on my first set of tires (TKC80) on my new F800GS and I'm very pleasantly surprised about how well they handle on pavement, even wet pavement. I expected a lot worse.

7. Hamish71

Hamish71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I, like many others, burnt through a couple of TKC 80s quite quickly. I tried a K60 rear over the weekend in the high country of Victoria. About 50km of tar in, then about 350km of dirt, then about 150km of tar out. 2 days of riding, raining the first day, sunny the second.

I wont be buying one again. On dry bitumen, the traction control kicks in whenever I grab a full hand full of throttle. On wet bitumen, I was crying like a baby. On red clay it was lethal. On gravel it was pretty good. On loose gravel (marbles) I washed out on every corner. When I tried the traction control on the dirt I almost couldnt get up hills.

So, my question....regardless of wear, what is the BEST off road tyre for the F800GS?
  8. Tonk

Tonk Broken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was planning on running a TKC 80 front with the e09 rear. Another member mentioned the IRC TR8 as a great front. Virtually the same front as the TKC but at half the price. I looked into it and it looks like a great option. I've decided to go with the e07 rear over the e09. I'd like to think ill be on nothing but dirt all season but in reality, it's not going to happen. The e07 looks like a good compromise on the back end. I can't justify a knobby as aggressive as the e09 for the type of riding I'll be doing.

Long story short.... IRC TR8 up front and the Mitas e07 in back. (IRC's are back ordered everywhere I can find selling them but I hope to grab one soon)

Oh, and sorry to crash the BMW forum but they're going on an 800xc.

I certainly appreciate all the info and knowledge from the BMW guys... Thx
  9. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    I'm running an E10 on the front with the E07 in the back:

[​IMG]

I have run a TKC in the front with the K60 (140) and an E09 in the rear. The TKC is good...but...it has a very soft casing (I usually will hit something hard:eek1) and I wanted something just a bit more open too. Hence the E10.

It hits all those marks and so far I'm very happy with the combo. 2000kms and the E07 is wearing very well and the E10 has barely any wear. I do take it easy on the front brake with knobbies so I don't ramp 'em. Cornering wise I have scrubbed them right over too the very last row of "pricklies" which is very far over...it's a round tire. TKC's were scrubbed right over the edge easy...they are more square.

Wet pavement traction has been very good. Predictable too.

I ran the E09 mostly with the Pirelli Scorpion Rally last year and I was happy with that combo for dirt but I took 'em off to save them from all the pavement over the Fall/Winter.

I'm keen to try the E10 in the back next.

Dave
  10. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dave, how would you compare the street handling (wet and dry) of the E10 or TKC80 in the front? As I mentioned earlier, I'm really quite pleasantly surprised at how good the TKC80 is.

And of course the question also is how do the E07 and TKC80 compare in the rear?
  11. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have found the Pirelli Scorpion Rally up front to be excellent. Actually last a while too.
    Just this weekend I ran with a Kenda Trakmaster on the rear. Man, the thing digs and throws roost a good 40 feet without trying. And there's soo much traction because of the weight of the bike it's crazy. I'm not sure how long it will hold up, or of it'll end up ripping and chunking apart from the weight and torque though. And it's freaking squirly on the pavement. Time will tell, and since it seemed no on had tried one yet, curiosity got the better of me.
  12. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    Cue the holy wars...

If you really want the best of the best off road, the solution is to go 1.6x21 and 2.5x18 from Woody, and get something like the 908 rear and a dirt bike front tire. Which would probably last all of 1,000 miles per set if you were lucky.

Realistically, I've found that a set of D606s last decently long and while the front wears kinda odd (so do TKCs) both front and rear are well mannered even when the knobs are nearly gone. I have a 3.5x17 rim on the rear though, fitting a 130 width tire to the stock rim may cause the tire to act differently.

I've recently been using a K60 on the rear and a D606 on the front. It actually works pretty well, but my version of "difficult" doesn't usually involve deep mud or climbing stair steps. Deep sand and some baby heads are easy enough to conquer though.
  13. Hamish71

Hamish71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 21 x 1.75 on the front (excel/rad) and standard measurement rear (excel/rad)...am regretting I didnt go 18 on rear....but I didnt.

I have seen a few references to the d606 on the rear. any idea if this works?
  14. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Hi Eldor!

I'll give the front E10 about a 95% of the TKC on the pavement wet and dry. It's a rounder tire though too so it has slightly quicker turn in.

Off road I think it's better in the braking dept. and I think it corners a bit better too. So far I'm happy with it.

Don't go too low on the air pressure with the TKCs. They are very soft, esp up front. Not a great combo with our soft rims.

I haven't run a TKC rear on this bike (or the E10 yet) just the K60, E09 and now the E07. Based on this I expect the E10 to be very comparable all round to the TKC but maybe with a little bit longer life, a few $$ less and probably a bit better bite in the soft and cornering. The E07 I expect will have a little less drive and braking grip but about twice the life if not more.

So far I've been very happy with the E07 as a 50/50 rear.

Cheers,

Dave
  15. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you find them?

How is the grip on asphalt (particularly wet)?

Is the E10 more aggressive in the dirt?

D
  16. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone!

I am currently on a market for a new set of tires. I have been using K60 for the last 6000km and have been quite pleased with them on road, and disappointed by the front off road. Now I am looking at knobbly tire to try riding some harder terrain than fire roads.

I am looking at:
    MItas E09
    TKC80 (designed for bigger bikes??)
    Michelin T63 (saw it on a couple of xt660r very little info)

But cant decide what to take, I have read that a E09 on the rear and MT21 on the front is a good combo, but MT21 is slick on wet road. How about E10 for the front and E09 in the back combo?

Basically what I am looking for is a tyre combo that will out-preform K60 off road and have similar capabilities on road (I might be asking for too much).

My bike is a Kawasaki KLE500 with tyre sizes 90/90-21 and 130/80-17.
  17. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run a k60 rear and tkc 80 front on a 800 gs and it works real well. I have about 9000 miles on the tkc.

I ran t63 on a klr and liked them better than the tkc 80. They wore faster, but cost a lot less.
  18. johns78c

johns78c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So would the Dakars be better for those of us with cast wheels to avoid damaging them?
  19. Endurodude

Endurodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used an E07 rear and E10 front last year from the UK to Morocco and back. I WILL NEVER buy an E10 front again!!! Scared the #%^*+=$€> out of me in Spain. Basically, it's a fair old distance from A to B, so I used my fair share of motorways in Europe. Everything was fine until I went back to Spain, where I discovered many of the motorways had grooves in them! No real problem, you might think, but the mitas front tyre steered itself in the grooves! Especially scary when going down a mountain with shear drops! For long trips that involve Tarmac to and from the destination, I would highly recommend the E07 or similar design. For me, and in my experience, the E10 design wears too unevenly given speed /heat. It's not worth scaring yourself - it's supposed to be fun!
  20. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run the TKC80 on the front and have run the T63. Knobby tires in general wear faster and don't provide the footprint on pavement or even hard pack dirt of a less aggressive tire. If you couple that with soft rubber and a less rigid sidewall, they wear faster yet.

The TKC is good on dirt and not bad on pavement just because of how soft they are. The result is they wear faster and get weird wear patterns on the front.

The T63 has a similar tread pattern to a TKC80. The knobs are not as long and don't go up the sidewall as far as the TKC. Physically they are a smaller tire, so do not protect the rims as much. Probably very adequate on a lighter bike with a narrower rim. I replaced mine before they were completely worn.

On my heavy thumper I have been running a IRC TR8 on the front. It is cheap, hooks up good and is long wearing. If your bike has a rim width of 1.85 or less, it will work well.

Never ran a K tire. Just looking at the tread for 150/70 size makes me think it is really not suited for sand or deep gravel. The smaller sizes are more aggressive. From the feed back from riders who spoon them on themselves, it sounds like they have harder rubber and rigid sidewalls. That's a good if you are looking for a long wearing tire. They probably work well on pavement and hard pack.

Mitas seems hard to find in the US. I would like to try one, especially on the rear.