1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Metzler Karoo VS Conti TKC80 and Mitas E09??

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 10Cup, Feb 15, 2009.

1. stevh0

stevh0 Super Retard.

Oddometer:
    For what its worth. The karroo 3 gave me a whopping 1900km till it died on me. I replaced it with the 130 e07.
  2. stevh0

stevh0 Super Retard.

Oddometer:
  3. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    What tire pressures were you running?
  4. stevh0

stevh0 Super Retard.

Oddometer:
    2.8 bar on the k3.
  5. johns78c

johns78c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone?
  6. JN3n

JN3n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been told the Dakars have a stiffer sidewall . I have not ridden on a Dakar yet.
  7. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    Running Karoo T's after running TKC's for a 6K miles, rear@ 22psi and front@18psi work really well in loose gravel over hardpack, muddy long puddles and some small sand patches. Can't really tell much difference from the TKC's and even climbed some rocky steep stuff with Baby Heads with out issue. Let's see how many miles before I move on to the next set of ????

[​IMG]
  8. oldenduronoob

oldenduronoob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Colne, skipton, keighley or silsden, england, uk
    Baby heads lol??

Anyway, currently trying to decide on some off 50/50 ish tyres for my new 800gs. TKC's seem to be well recommended, but to me look like they don't have enough space between the blocks to be any good in mud? Will do a lot of road work, but alson don't want to be shying away from the off road i find for fear of getting stuck, I always ride alone..
    E09's look similar, but some folk report poor wet tarmac performance. Won't be trying to ride it like a sports bike, but don't wanna buy something that feels dangerous either.
    Decisions decisions....
  9. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    In all honesty I think pretty much every knobbie will have poor wet tarmac grip. Differences between different tires won't be all that great I believe.

As for mud, the TKC or E09/E10 will do fine. Even the E07 isn't too bad.
  10. oldenduronoob

oldenduronoob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Think I'm probably gonna end up going with the mitas E09's, seems that they're as good as can be expected of knobblies on road, but last a lot longer than the tkc's, and are considerably cheaper, £120 as opposed to £180 for a pair in the uk's good old british pounds £££'s lol.
    Just need to learn to fit the bloody things without wrecking my rims now :rofl
  11. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Despite the longevity issues with the TKC80 rear, one thing in their favour is they are easier than most to spoon on due to the relatively soft sidewall. Mitas sidewalls are quite a bit stiffer, the Dakar versions obviously more so.
  12. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    I've only used the TKC and it was a pain to spoon on by hand. Pretty reasonable grip on the highway. I try to avoid mud, as ours is gumbo and any bike gets mired badly in this crap.

Seems to work reasonably well for my riding.
  13. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    MTr, I would say all tyres are a pain to spoon on :lol3 just some more so than others.
  14. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be wrong, but I think by 'to spoon' he means the wear on the backside of each knobbie. Mine did this, likely from too much driving on asphalt. After a good amount of wear I remounted the tires 'backwards' if you will, and got more life out of them.

'Course he may have been referring to a bedtime manoeuvre :lol3
  15. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the case. There is an extra ply on the tire that stiffens them up we recommend them for more aggressive/expert riding and conditions. We have 3 Mitas in stock that have the Dakar option. They are the E-07 (Dakar), E-09 (Dakar), & the E-10 (Dakar).

Kev
  16. oldenduronoob

oldenduronoob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, my tubed tire fitting experience is low! Amounting to swopping a rear on my ktm 200, and I had an absolute nightmare, the tyre being fitted was a mitas co2 and it was a complete biatch to get on. Mebbe it was my lack of experience, I like to think I'm fairly good with most things like this but bloody hell, what a job. Hope that mitas tyres in general are hard to fit!
    So on this, I think I'm gonna chicken out and fit TKC's for starters and see how I go, the rims are pristine and I want 'em to stay at least a bit like that :rofl
  17. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that *PRISTINE* bit. On the other hand, it's always good to get that first scratch out of the way so you can ride without worrying about the resale value.
  18. oldenduronoob

oldenduronoob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this is very true lol
    I've little doubt they'll be battered to hell by the time I've been prying at them for half an hour :D
  19. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    as is the case in many things...more lube is a good thing! :lol3
  20. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since this is a tire comparison thread including the TCK80 and the Karoo 3 I thought I'd ask here about how they compare in some specific ways, so here's my question for those who have tried both on a GS LC...

Forget wear, that is becoming well documented, but with regard to two specific qualities how do these two tires compare...
    1. Noise on the road
    2. Cornering performance and feel on pavement when really pushing it.

My Karoos are nearing end of life and I don't know whether to switch to TKC80s or not. I'm curious about them wouldn't mind giving them a try. I don't like the noise of the Karoos, and while they do an ok job when pushing it hard in corners on pavement I don't want to go backwards here. So how do the TKC's compare in the above two regards?

Inquiringly,