1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Metzler Karoo VS Conti TKC80 and Mitas E09??

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 10Cup, Feb 15, 2009.

1. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Ive found the Karoo's to be a bit better on the pavement but noisier - but they do last about twice as long as the TKC's.

If the Mitas E-09 Dakar's where more pliable I'd go with those. I find them near impossible to get on and off the rims without the additional leverage of a machine. And not being bale to address tire issues away from my garage or a shop is a big deal for me.
  2. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    I've run the TKC and K3 back to back.

Hands down, the K3 is a better tire on the tarmac, both are a bit buzzy, but that's the price to pay when you have a tire that's a compromise.

The K3 is supper predictable, way more lean angle and is more forgiving in the rain as well. "pushing it" is up for interpretation based on your ability, I wouldn't take the K3 on a track by any means, but it slides really nice when you want it too without giving the old Michelin "Stick and flick" that would high side you in a wink of an eye.
  3. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for. I have a set of TKCs here and I think I'll just sell them and buy another back tire and stay with the K3s then. "Buzzy" is a good way to describe them!

I've played with tire pressures a bit and found that higher pressures predictably improve the on-road response, while lower pressures don't really help offroad that much. Whereas I was using 34/38r as a compromise I'm now up to 36/40r and think that's about right. I've tried 38/42 and it makes the front more responsive still but I just like the feel better at 36/40.

Thanks again for the report!
  4. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on an 800gs so not exactly what you asked but....
    I ran TKC's then K3's, rear on tarmac didn't feel a huge amount of difference in the dry apart from tread wear, though I'd give it to the K3 as on wet tarmac I felt much more comfortable on it vs the TKC.
    On the front TKC seemed fine at first seeing as I just came off a K60 (fucking horrible) but in the rain and 2up the front seemed to want to wander in corners, could have just been my paranoia or a bit of the knob flexing but I didn't like the feeling so much. I didn't get that feeling on the K3 front.
    Now to put this all in to perspective, I don't really push that hard on tarmac going in to the corner, I'm pretty chilled out apart from the exit where I do give a fair amount of throttle.
    Buzziness definitely more on the TKC and yep some on the K3 but nothing that annoyed me.

Oh and for anyone planning on using the anakee 3's , good luck getting the front on :D :thumb harder to get on than the k60 rear.....
  5. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the switch to a TKC 80 Front and a E09 Dakar on the back. I normally do do rears to one front change, probably could do another...but...
    The trick to the Mitas tire is to lube the hell out of it with wd40 or the slimy crap no-mar sells. Both work fine. I'm getting about 6000 out of my E09 Dakar